It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 18:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please kindly evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Please kindly evaluate my profile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 04:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello everyone:

As I'm preparing my application for the round one this year, I would like to have my profile evaluated so that I can set my expectation realistically and aim for the right targets. For your information, I'm a candidate based out of China with ~5 years of experience by the time I enter the MBA program. I understand the competition would be especially fierce for international students of my background. That's why I hope to strategize my application plan to take the best shot I can given this is my only chance.

Below please find my statistics:
Undergraduate school: Kelley School of Business (Indiana University)
Majors: finance and accounting. Minors: economics and maths
Undergraduate GPA: 3.77/4.00 (with honors)
GMAT: 730 96 percentile (took in late 2014)
Employment history: 1 year at Deloitte Consulting in the US, 1 year in a boutique investment bank in China, 2 years at JP Morgan China (an investment banking related role) My title would still probably be senior analyst when I apply for schools given the long local tenure in my department.
Leadership: local alumni chapter president, JPM volunteering group leadership team member, hosted JPM China annual dinner, team outing planning committee member etc.
Post MBA goal: transition to a BB TMT IB role in the short term, move to a media/entertainment buy-side role in the long term

Any insights would be highly appreciated! Thank you all!

Last edited by Jason351 on 30 Jun 2017, 09:06, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 3

Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Re: Please kindly evaluate my profile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 06:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Marvin,

You have a good undergraduate degree. A decent GMAT/GPA combination. And work experience across two countries/cultures - these are the positives.

Your work/international background will put in you in a fairly commonly represented applicant pool. This is your weakness.

I would ask you to be open to schools in the US top 15 - 20. Europe should be free game.

Regards,
Karthik

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 21:16
Hi Marvin437,

In the last 7-8 years, there has been emphasis by some banks to promote Senior Analysts to Associate position (without MBA) in some measure, one of the reason being zero onboarding period. On this count, I think your desire to continue in a similar field (you said ‘related’) will resonate well with schools as well as potential recruiters. Second, when you niche down your goal - TMT - you need to have some reasons for it.

Overall, I think you’ve reasonable shot at top-15 programs.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 12:49
Marvin437 wrote:
Hello everyone:

As I'm preparing my application for the round one this year, I would like to have my profile evaluated so that I can set my expectation realistically and aim for the right targets. For your information, I'm a candidate based out of China with ~5 years of experience by the time I enter the MBA program. I understand the competition would be especially fierce for international students of my background. That's why I hope to strategize my application plan to take the best shot I can given this is my only chance.

Employment history: 1 year at Deloitte Consulting in the US, 1 year in a boutique investment bank in China, 2 years at JP Morgan China (an investment banking related role) My title would still probably be senior analyst when I apply for schools given the long local tenure in my department.
Leadership: local alumni chapter president, JPM volunteering group leadership team member, hosted JPM China annual dinner, team outing planning committee member etc.
Post MBA goal: transition to a BB TMT IB role in the short term, move to a media/entertainment buy-side role in the long term

Thank you for your profile details. You have a strong profile and would be a good fit for a top 10 school. I used to work at Deloitte Consulting and JP Morgan and work with a lot of similar applicants. I would be happy to chat about your profile! Just send me a note scott@personalmbacoach.com

www.personalmbacoach.com

With your goals, I suggest looking into:

Wharton
Booth
Columbia (start soon if you are interested in CBS. They are already accepting applicants. My first client got in last week and with a full ride)
Tuck
Haas

As a starter list. Have a great rest of the weekend!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 01:50
Jason351 wrote:
Hello everyone:

Your profile looks good and competitive so in general I would say your chances of admission are pretty good, but of course it also depends on what schools you were thinking, as demonstrating fit with the school is important too. I am not sure the top 5 is a clear cut option for you (but I am missing quite a lot of detail here too, so I could be wrong about that. Feel free to reach out to ARINGO at https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/ with more details about your work experience and leadership experience in particular for a proper evaluation if you want) but top 10 or top 15 are definitely possible.

JL

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Re: Please kindly evaluate my profile   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2017, 01:50

Please kindly evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap