Last visit was: 18 May 2024, 23:35 It is currently 18 May 2024, 23:35
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Technology, Finance
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11685 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2591 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Point of no return, GMAT in 5 days [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You are wise to focus on your mental state. Too few people try to get their head right before taking the exam and then the perceived pressure of the exam becomes to much for them. Do as much as you can to strengthen yourself mentally now. Mentally imagine yourself doing well on the exam. Think through what the test experience will be like and think about how you will respond if you start to feel pressure. Convince yourself (because it's true) that the exam does not control your life. You control the exam. Even if you do horribly on the exam, you can retake it! You can take it multiple times! There is really no pressure. Take me seriously on this - there is no pressure...

Your job on the test is to focus on exam problem as it comes and your overall timing. Do NOT think about your performance at any point during the exam. Just focus on performing and your score will come at the end. You have prepared yourself well and taking the actual exam just the next step in the process.

You control the exam. It's not a big deal. No pressure. :)

KW
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Best of luck for the GMAT exam!!!!!!!
I think you should chill off and relax and review some basics!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for all the kind words and advice!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
Tell us, how did it go?

Did you get the needed score?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes! It actually did. Contrary to my belief during the actual exam, I scored a 670.

Q44 and V38 - the highest I've ever gotten, even on mocks for Quant. I am extremely pleased and surprised. What I really think helped me in the end was relaxing just a little bit the week before. And on the actual exam, I did not waste any time on questions that were above my level of skill: I simply made an educated guess and moved on. Turns out that worked quite well!

Even though I spent my time wisely, I did have to guess the last 2 or 3 questions having barely read them because my time was running out but that clearly didn't matter too much. This was what lead me to believe that it did not go well. But even though I thought I had bombed it, I tried my best on verbal, just in case I had done well enough.

To my surprise 670 popped up on the screen and I was so relieved. I will say I was "lucky" on the quant section: I didn't get any questions that completely made my stomach turn, which is rare for me. But with that said, I believe I might still have succeeded even if I did.

I never got to pay for the full Empowergmat course, since my bank didn't allow for an overseas transaction and I was too close to my exam to stress about it. But what I did get from the free trial was extremely helpful. If I had used empowergmat in conjunction with Manhattan Gmat tests and GMATPREP from the start, I would have had way more confidence.

Thanks to everyone who wished me well and gave me valuable advice! This forum has really been a great support system for me. I might write a debrief later on, since I started with such a low score.. it might help motivate someone else! I know I read countless stories to psych myself up.

:-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2596 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
sabineodf wrote:
Yes! It actually did. Contrary to my belief during the actual exam, I scored a 670.

Q44 and V38 - the highest I've ever gotten, even on mocks for Quant. I am extremely pleased and surprised. What I really think helped me in the end was relaxing just a little bit the week before. And on the actual exam, I did not waste any time on questions that were above my level of skill: I simply made an educated guess and moved on. Turns out that worked quite well!

Even though I spent my time wisely, I did have to guess the last 2 or 3 questions having barely read them because my time was running out but that clearly didn't matter too much. This was what lead me to believe that it did not go well. But even though I thought I had bombed it, I tried my best on verbal, just in case I had done well enough.

To my surprise 670 popped up on the screen and I was so relieved. I will say I was "lucky" on the quant section: I didn't get any questions that completely made my stomach turn, which is rare for me. But with that said, I believe I might still have succeeded even if I did.

I never got to pay for the full Empowergmat course, since my bank didn't allow for an overseas transaction and I was too close to my exam to stress about it. But what I did get from the free trial was extremely helpful. If I had used empowergmat in conjunction with Manhattan Gmat tests and GMATPREP from the start, I would have had way more confidence.

Thanks to everyone who wished me well and gave me valuable advice! This forum has really been a great support system for me. I might write a debrief later on, since I started with such a low score.. it might help motivate someone else! I know I read countless stories to psych myself up.

Congrats for the score and all the best for applications :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
sabineodf wrote:

Congrats on your score buddy!! Best of luck for the future!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11685 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sabineodf,

That's great news about Test Day - clearly all of the hard work that you put in paid off.

When are you planning to apply to Business School?
Do you know which Schools you want to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks a lot, all of you! I will be going to CASS Business School in London, most likely. I have my acceptance there, but might have a last look around to see whether I'm interested in any other schools. My hearts been set on CASS for a long time though.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1373 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sabineodf,

I think your plan for Monday to Thursday sounds good. For some, a CAT before test day helps. For others, it's the source of panic. If you're one of the latter, I'd say definitely take the day off and do nothing related to GMAT. Focus is really important, and as you said, "taking emotions out of the equation." Best of luck!!!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2591 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats on the good score. I hope everyone pays attention to what you did that paid off.

Reducing your stress level before the exam is super helpful. Staying positive and doing to best throughout the exam is critical. I love what you did with the difficult questions...

Lots of students have a hard time letting go of any questions but on the GMAT it's important to maximize your performance on the questions you know you can do and not waste time that are above your ability. The exam will repeatedly give you questions you can handle - if you can recognize what they are and make educated guesses you probably have the same performance on those hard problems and you get more time to invest on the problems you can handle.

Good luck at B-School!

KW
GMAT Club Bot