Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 16 Jul 2019, 11:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Politician: It is wrong for the government to restrict the liberty of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Politician: It is wrong for the government to restrict the liberty of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 10:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (02:12) correct 66% (02:12) wrong based on 160 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Politician: It is wrong for the government to restrict the liberty of individuals, except perhaps in those cases when to fail to do so would allow individuals to cause harm. Yet, to publish something is a liberty, and to offend is not to cause harm.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the politician's statements?

A) It is not right for the government to restrict the publication of literature that is only offensive

B) It is not wrong for the government to restrict individuals' liberty when failing to do so would allow individuals to cause harm

C) It is offensive for the government to restrict the liberty of individuals to publish, but it is not harmful

D) It is not wrong for individuals to publish literature that is offensive

E) It is not right for the government to restrict the publication of literature that does not cause serious harm

My CR Guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightblade-s-quick-guide-to-proficiency-cr-295316.html

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-moderators-directory-253455.html

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Reviews Badge
Re: Politician: It is wrong for the government to restrict the liberty of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 17:43
Since people seem to be struggling on this one, here is the explanation:

Politician: It is wrong for the government to restrict the liberty of individuals, except perhaps in those cases when to fail to do so would allow individuals to cause harm. Yet, to publish something is a liberty, and to offend is not to cause harm.

The difference between A and B in this wording of the passage. For (B), please note the use of the term "perhaps". Now this statement introduces ambiguity. Without "perhaps", (B) would be 100% correct. Now, (A) is correct because of the following breakdown: It is wrong for the government to restrict the liberty of individuals, except......when to fail to do so would allow individuals to cause harm. Yet, to publish something is a liberty, and to offend is not to cause harm. This says exactly what (A) says. You cannot restrict the right of someone unless it harms them -- and being offensive is not harm.

(C), (D), and (E) are all horribly wrong, but I can explain them further if it is needed.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the politician's statements?

A) It is not right for the government to restrict the publication of literature that is only offensive

B) It is not wrong for the government to restrict individuals' liberty when failing to do so would allow individuals to cause harm

My CR Guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightblade-s-quick-guide-to-proficiency-cr-295316.html

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-moderators-directory-253455.html

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Re: Politician: It is wrong for the government to restrict the liberty of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 22:40
Is B wrong, because this is a restatement of premise ? aragonn
Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Dil ye Ziddi hai !!!
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 02:41
nightblade354 wrote:

C) It is offensive for the government to restrict the liberty of individuals to publish, but it is not harmful

E) It is not right for the government to restrict the publication of literature that does not cause serious harm

It is wrong for Govt to restrict liberty (except perhaps in those cases when individuals could cause harm).
To publish something is a liberty.
To offend is not to cause harm.

So we can conclude it is wrong for Govt to restrict publishing (a liberty) if it only offends (which is not harmful). So (A) is correct.

Note that the argument is not fully convinced about restricting when it can cause harm - "exceptperhaps in those cases when individuals could cause harm"
So we cannot conclude that it is not wrong. Perhaps it is not wrong but can we be sure? No.

The argument does not talk about what is offensive for the government. This is irrelevant.

The argument does not talk about whether it is wrong or not. It only talks about whether the Govt restricting liberty is wrong or not.

The argument does not talk about "serious" harm.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Politician: It is wrong for the government to restrict the liberty of   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2018, 02:41

Politician: It is wrong for the government to restrict the liberty of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics