Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 16:36 It is currently 14 May 2024, 16:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Duke Fuqua ($) vs UNC KF ($$$) vs Darden

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73202 [0]
Given Kudos: 18960
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [3]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Poll: Fuqua $ vs UNC Kenan Flagler $$$ - The Battle For Tobacco Road [#permalink]
Kudos
TobaccoRoad4590
Was in a similar position last year and chose Kenan-Flagler. I've been keeping tabs on recruitment at Duke this year so here's my $0.02:

1. Consulting: Duke over Kenan-Flagler (KF has people going into all 3 MBBs this year, but that number is lower than at Duke. Duke would provide a much clearer path to MBB.)

2. Finance: Kenan-Flagler over Duke (All the first years at KF that wanted a Finance/IB internship have received on - the same cannot be said about Duke this year. This may just be an anomaly, but my experience is what I'm basing this advice on.)

3. Tech (PM): Duke over Kenan-Flagler (The Duke brand provides a clearer path to Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. Core tech recruiters at KF are Dell and Cisco. Amazon is brand agnostic so its a level playing field. For other hot tech start-ups - think Spotify, Robinhood, etc. - you'd need to leverage your brand and network to get an interview or referral, so I would again lean towards Duke.)

4. Tech (Non-PM): Both offer similar opportunities

5. Healthcare, Real Estate: Kenan-Flagler over Duke

Your analysis above is spot on; however, I would disagree about the national/regional program piece though. I have been able to find alums to chat with spread all over the country in all the large orgs in the country.

Happy to chat more if you'd like.

Edit: The Dean's Program at Kenan-Flagler is certainly not worth sacrificing the Duke brand. It has no bearing whatsoever on recruiting and also - and don't take this the wrong way - the people in the Dean's List are selected quite arbitrarily. You will see several accomplished people not part of this program and several undeserving people make the list. It;s not like you're provided access to an exclusive network - your Kenan-Flagler (and UNC) network is your network so I would not give consideration to this at all. There are, of course, legitimate reasons to choose Kenan-Flagler over Duke, but The Dean's List ain't it.

Originally posted by shaarang on 31 Mar 2021, 11:58.
Last edited by shaarang on 31 Mar 2021, 14:14, edited 2 times in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73202 [0]
Given Kudos: 18960
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Poll: Fuqua $ vs UNC Kenan Flagler $$$ - The Battle For Tobacco Road [#permalink]
Expert Reply
A large part of business school recruiting is mysterious. For example, same set of companies hire at both campuses but one of the schools has more representation. Is that because of the school or is that because of the qualifications of the students who attend? I have asked that question for years now and I have never been able to get a clear unfortunately. I have asked several successful students in the lumps you have been able to get internships and jobs of their dreams. They have previously given up scholarships and gone to pay full sticker price. They found internships and jobs not on campus. They found them through friends, classmates, or online or through other means. My question to them was, did the school really contribute? Do you think you could’ve gotten the same opportunity if you had gone to a lower ranked school with a scholarship? It’s a question that I’m not sure anyone with the answer without some pain having $150,000 loan, but I’ve known them enough to where I think they would’ve cut through BS and at least may have jokingly said “yes”. To my surprise they didn’t and they credited there good luck to being a part of a more elite program. However, there is not a very clear cause-and-effect relationship....

There’s also The whole thing of luck. You may get lucky or unlucky and you never know which way it’s going to play. You may run into an interview or call went to your business school or whose son is going to a business school or thinking of going to a business school. You may ran into a person at a camping trip for a party that will lead you to a job. There’s no way to anticipate that or know how it would play out otherwise. The key aspect is to continue creating opportunities for this luck to happen. If you’re looking at sports management opportunities, this would mean a lot of networking and hanging around places and events and being there and meeting people... I think sports management is doable and possible but it will come at a price....

Has to consulting, your success heavily Depends on your interview and preparation. Consulting companies look for people who are able to represent them well and who can impress the clients to justify the high bills they’re being sent. 😂

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Poll: Fuqua $ vs UNC Kenan Flagler $$$ - The Battle For Tobacco Road [#permalink]
Thank you shaarang and bb , both very insightful and helpful answers. shaarang , what was the final reason you ended up choosing UNC in the end?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
TobaccoRoad4590, a simple cost/benefit analysis revealed that my career prospects wouldn't majorly be impacted by the Duke brand and that I'd have to pay 3x to attend Duke over Kenan-Flagler. It didn't make sense.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts