GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 24 May 2020, 18:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

(Possibly) Five Choices

  new topic post reply Update application status  

School Selection

  • 50% [4]
  • 12% [1]
  • 12% [1]
  • 0% [0]
  • 25% [2]
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jul 2016
Posts: 14
Location: United States (TX)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.13
(Possibly) Five Choices  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 13:26
Hey guys,

As it stands now I have been admitted R1 with partial merit scholarship to McCombs, admitted to Columbia (how much - if any - need or merit scholarship remains to be seen), waitlisted at Booth, waitlisted at Fuqua, and am interviewing R2 at Darden on Monday.

With what I believe is a strong waitlist essay for Booth as well as a solid resume update, and two additional current-student rec letters, I feel optimistic (NOT confident) about my chances. With Fuqua, if any of you read my other thread (which I can't link to), you will see I am either a huge bonehead and left an entire crucial section of my application blank, or there was a technical glitch. I view this as definitely the reason for my being waitlisted, since community is so important to Duke. Having corrected that with an addendum for the adcom, submitted a write up of my promotion, and gotten an alumni rec letter, again I feel optimistic but not confident in my odds at Fuqua.

Obviously nothing in MBA-admissions is even close to a given, but for argument's sake, pretend for a moment I get into two or all three of the remaining schools. I have no idea how to even begin making that choice.

Considerations:
-Most likely will recruit for consulting, but possibly also iBanking
-Internal strategy/corporate development for an oil company would be most likely backup plan
-Do not want to live in NYC, but the opportunities CBS affords are excellent and the brand name is very strong
-Culturally best fits are Fuqua and UVA, though I am fairly nerdy, and felt quite at home at Booth

How would you guys go about evaluating these options?
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
avatar
S
Joined: 14 Sep 2013
Posts: 251
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: (Possibly) Five Choices  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 21:51
hydrocarbons wrote:
-Most likely will recruit for consulting, but possibly also iBanking


This screams Columbia.

But then...

hydrocarbons wrote:
-Internal strategy/corporate development for an oil company would be most likely backup plan
-Do not want to live in NYC


This screams McCombs.

I think you should visit both programs (if you haven't already) and then see how you feel.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jul 2016
Posts: 14
Location: United States (TX)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.13
Re: (Possibly) Five Choices  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 08:11
teleste wrote:
This screams Columbia.

But then...

This screams McCombs.

I think you should visit both programs (if you haven't already) and then see how you feel.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback! McCombs puts forward a strong value proposition (as a Texas resident, full tuition is half that of the other schools, then add in the scholarship and it's very little out of pocket), but everyone thinks I would be crazy to pass up CBS for McCombs.

Anyone feel like taking a stab at the other three schools and evaluating choices I don't have yet? :lol:
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2763
Re: (Possibly) Five Choices  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 20:01
It's between Booth and CBS and most likely Booth given your desire to not be in NYC. Chicago is a great secondary option to NYC. Great program that will allow you to accomplish all of your goals.
_________________
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: (Possibly) Five Choices   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2017, 20:01

(Possibly) Five Choices

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Regenerate, FinanceMan






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne