Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [371]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [81]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [78]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [76]
Send PM
Re: Weighted Average and Mixture Problems on the GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Zap the Weighted Average Brutes

BY KARISHMA, VERITAS PREP

Let me start here discussion with a question from our Arithmetic book. I love this question because it is very crafty (much like actual GMAT questions, I assure you!) It looks like a calculation intensive question and makes you spend 3-4 minutes (scribbling furiously) but is actually pretty straight forward when understood from the ‘weighted average’ perspective. We looked at an easier version of this question in the last post.

Question: John and Ingrid pay 30% and 40% tax annually, respectively. If John makes $56000 and Ingrid makes $72000, what is their combined tax rate?

A. 32%
B. 34.4%
C. 35%
D. 35.6%
E. 36.4%

Solution: If we do not use weighted averages concept, this question would involve a tricky calculation. Something on the lines of:

Total Tax = \((\frac{30}{100})*56000 + (\frac{40}{100})*72000\)

Tax Rate = \(\frac{Total \ Tax}{(56000 + 72000)}\)

But we know better! The big numbers – 56000 and 72000 are just a smokescreen. I could have as well given you $86380 and $111060 as their salaries; I would have still obtained the same average tax rate! What is important is not the actual values of the salaries but the relation between the values i.e. the ratio of their salaries. Let me show you.

We need to find their average tax rate. Since their salaries are different, the average tax rate is not (30 + 40)/ 2. We need to find the ‘weighted average of their tax rates’. In the last post, we discussed

\(\frac{w_1}{w_2} = \frac{(A_2 – A_{avg})}{(A_{avg} – A_1)}\)

The ratio of their salaries \(\frac{w_1}{w_2} = \frac{56000}{72000} = \frac{7}{9}\)

\(\frac{7}{9} = \frac{(40 – T_{avg})}{(T_{avg} – 30)}\)

\(T_{avg} = 35.6%\)

Imagine that! No long calculations! In the last post, when we wanted to find the average age of boys and girls – 10 boys with an average age of 17 yrs and 20 girls with an average age of 20 yrs, all we needed was the relative weights (relative number of people) in the two groups i.e. 1:2. It didn’t matter whether there were 10 boys and 20 girls or 100 boys and 200 girls. It’s exactly the same concept here. It doesn’t matter what the actual salaries are. We just need to find the ratio of the salaries.

Also notice that the two tax rates are 30% and 40%. The average tax rate is 35.6% i.e. closer to 40% than to 30%. Doesn’t it make sense? Since the salary of Ingrid is $72,000, that is, more than salary of John, her tax rate of 40% ‘pulls’ the average toward itself. In other words, Ingrid’s tax rate has more ‘weight’ than John’s. Hence the average shifts from 35% to 35.6% i.e. toward Ingrid’s tax rate of 40%.

This question is discussed HERE.

Let’s now look at PS question no. 148 from the Official Guide which is a beautiful example of the use of weighted averages.

Question: If a, b and c are positive numbers such that [a/(a+b)]*20 + [b/(a+b)]*40 = c and if a < b, which of the following could be the value of c?

(A) 20
(B) 24
(C) 30
(D) 36
(E) 40

Solution: Let me tell you, it isn’t an easy question (and the explanation given in the OG makes my head spin).

First of all, notice that the question says: ‘could be the value of c’ not ‘is the value of c’ which means there isn’t a unique value of c. ‘c’ could take multiple values and one of those is given in the options. Secondly, we are given that a < b. Now how does that figure in our scheme of things? It is not an equation so we certainly cannot use it to solve for c. If you look closely, you will notice that the given equation is

\(\frac{(20*a + 40*b)}{(a + b)}= c\)

Does it remind you of something? It should, considering that we are doing weighted averages right now! Isn’t it very similar to the weighted average formula we saw in the last post?

\(\frac{(A_1*w_1 + A_2*w_2)}{(w_1 + w_2)} =\) Weighted Average

So basically, c is just the weighted average of 20 and 40 with a and b as weights. Since a < b, weightage given to 20 is less than the weightage given to 40 which implies that the average will be pulled closer to 40 than to 20. So the average will most certainly be greater than 30, which is right in the middle of 40 and 20, but will be less than 40. There is only one such number, 36, in the options. ‘c’ can take the value ‘36’ and hence, (D) will be the answer. Elementary, isn’t it? Not really! If you do not consider it from the weighted average perspective, this question can torture you for hours.

These are just a couple of many applications of weighted average. Next week, we will review Mixtures, another topic in which weighted averages are a lifesaver
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [10]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GRE 1: Q168 V162
GPA: 3.82
WE:Research (Health Care)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

Can we get pdf of these somehow? I prefer offline reading and the problem is printing these distorts the equations so i dont know how to do that?

Please help with some suggestion!

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATnavigator wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

Can we get pdf of these somehow? I prefer offline reading and the problem is printing these distorts the equations so i dont know how to do that?

Thanks

You can click on print view at th top of each topic and then print as PDF (if you use chrome or safari ). This will give you a PDF of the entire topic.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GRE 1: Q168 V162
GPA: 3.82
WE:Research (Health Care)
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
GMATnavigator wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks

You can click on print view at th top of each topic and then print as PDF (if you use chrome or safari ). This will give you a PDF of the entire topic.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I tried using that but its distorting the divisions signs as it shows "/" by "(fraction {a}{b} "... Its not easy if you understand. I am using chrome!
Any other alternative?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Really appreciate the work involved behind the topics posted! Quite useful! Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Hello Karishma,

Could you please explain what should be weight is this problem and why?I thought weight is 94,88,98 and 85 but its wrong.

In a translation class, 40% of the student's grade comes from exams, 30% from written assignments, 20% from conversational practice, and 10% from interpretation. If a student's grades are 94 for exams, 88 for written assignments, 98 for conversational practice, and 85 for interpretation, what is the student's overall grade in the course?

Many thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
vaidhaichaturvedi wrote:
Hello Karishma,

Could you please explain what should be weight is this problem and why?I thought weight is 94,88,98 and 85 but its wrong.

In a translation class, 40% of the student's grade comes from exams, 30% from written assignments, 20% from conversational practice, and 10% from interpretation. If a student's grades are 94 for exams, 88 for written assignments, 98 for conversational practice, and 85 for interpretation, what is the student's overall grade in the course?

Many thanks in advance

Total grade = 40% of exams + 30% of assignment + 20% of Conversation + 10 % of interpretation
= \(0.4 * 94 + 0.3 * 88 + 0.2 * 98 + 0.1 * 85 = 37.6 + 26.4 + 19.6 + 8.5 = 92.1\)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [6]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
Question 1: A container has 3 liters of pure lime juice. 1 liter from the container is taken out and 2 liter water is added. The process is repeated several times. After 19 such operations, quantity of lime juice in the mixture is

Initial concentration = 1 , Volume 3 L

Conc. after 1st Iteration, Volume = 3 L --> remove 1 L and 2 L -->\(\frac{v1}{v2} = \frac{(3-1)}{(3-1+2)} = \frac{2}{4}\)
Conc. after 2nd Iteration Volume = 4 L --> remove 1 L and 2 L --> \(\frac{v1}{v2} = \frac{(4-1)}{(4-1+2)} = \frac{3}{5}\)
Conc. after 3nd Iteration Volume = 5 L --> remove 1 L and 2 L --> \(\frac{v1}{v2} = \frac{(5-1)}{(5-1+2)} = \frac{4}{6}\)
Conc. after nth Iteration Volume = (n+2) L --> remove 1 L and 2 L --> \(\frac{v1}{v2} = \frac{((n+2)-1)}{((n+2)-1+2 )} = \frac{n+1}{n+3}\)
Conc. after 18th Iteration Volume = 20 L --> remove 1 L and 2 L --> \(\frac{v1}{v2} = \frac{(20-1)}{(20-1+2)} = \frac{19}{21}\)
Conc. after 19th Iteration Volume = 21 L --> remove 1 L and 2 L --> \(\frac{v1}{v2} = \frac{(21-1)}{(21-1+2)} = \frac{20}{22}\)

Final conc = \(1* \frac{2}{4} * \frac{3}{5} * \frac{4}{6} * \frac{19}{21} * \frac{20}{22}\) = \(\frac{1}{77}\).

After 19th iteration total volume of solution = 22L

Total volume of juice = \(22 * \frac{1}{77} = \frac{2}{7} L\)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Its indeed very useful and thanks Karishma and Bunuel for creating and sharing such useful material.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Send PM
Thanks for sharing this . It certainly makes Weighted average questions look easy.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [2]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Removal/Replacement in Mixtures

Here we are going to take removal/replacement in mixtures. For those of you who were looking forward to some more tricky probability questions, I will make up for your disappointment next week. Meanwhile, rest assured, replacement is a very interesting, not to mention useful, concept in GMAT. So brace yourself to learn some new things today.

First of all, many “replacement” questions are nothing but the plain old mixture questions, the type we discussed in this post, with an extra step. So don’t flip out the moment you read the word “replace.” Let me show you what I mean:

Example 1: If a portion of a 50% alcohol solution (in water) is replaced with 25% alcohol solution, resulting in a 30% alcohol solution, what percentage of the original alcohol was replaced?

(A) 3%
(B) 20%
(C) 66%
(D) 75%
(E) 80%

Solution: What this question says is that a solution of 25% alcohol (say solution 1) is mixed with another solution of 50% alcohol (say solution 2) to give us a 30% alcohol solution. We don’t know in what quantities they were mixed. Can we find out the ratio in which these two solutions were mixed? If you are not sure, check out this post.

\(\frac{w_1}{w_2} = \frac{(A_2 – A_{avg})}{(A_{avg} – A_1)} = \frac{(50 – 30)}{(30 – 25)} = \frac{4}{1}\)

So the two solutions were mixed in the ratio 4:1. Mind you,

(volume of 25% alcohol solution) : (volume of 50% alcohol solution) = 4:1

Hi allpowerful VeritasPrepKarishma , :)

As per below mentioned concept (marked in green) about which one has more volume V1 or V2. Why in the above mentioned question A2 = 50 and not 25 ?
25 pulled volume to itself as it is closer to 30. should not it be like this:

\(A1 = 50\)
\(A2 = 25\)
\(Aavg = 30\)

\(\frac{25-30}{30-50}\) = \(\frac{-1}{-4}\) ?? please explain :)

"Can you say anything about the relative value of V1 and V2? Can you say which one will be greater? We discussed in the previous post that when we find the weighted average of two quantities, the average is closer to the one which has higher weight because that quantity ‘pulls’ the average toward itself. So if the new mixture contains 30% alcohol, which of the two mixtures – A (20% alcohol) or B (50% alcohol), will have higher volume? Obviously A because it pulled the average toward itself. The average, 30% alcohol, is closer to 20% than to 50%. Now, let’s calculate exactly how much of the 15 gallons was mixture A and how much was mixture B."

many thanks! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
dave13 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Removal/Replacement in Mixtures

Here we are going to take removal/replacement in mixtures. For those of you who were looking forward to some more tricky probability questions, I will make up for your disappointment next week. Meanwhile, rest assured, replacement is a very interesting, not to mention useful, concept in GMAT. So brace yourself to learn some new things today.

First of all, many “replacement” questions are nothing but the plain old mixture questions, the type we discussed in this post, with an extra step. So don’t flip out the moment you read the word “replace.” Let me show you what I mean:

Example 1: If a portion of a 50% alcohol solution (in water) is replaced with 25% alcohol solution, resulting in a 30% alcohol solution, what percentage of the original alcohol was replaced?

(A) 3%
(B) 20%
(C) 66%
(D) 75%
(E) 80%

Solution: What this question says is that a solution of 25% alcohol (say solution 1) is mixed with another solution of 50% alcohol (say solution 2) to give us a 30% alcohol solution. We don’t know in what quantities they were mixed. Can we find out the ratio in which these two solutions were mixed? If you are not sure, check out this post.

\(\frac{w_1}{w_2} = \frac{(A_2 – A_{avg})}{(A_{avg} – A_1)} = \frac{(50 – 30)}{(30 – 25)} = \frac{4}{1}\)

Hi allpowerful VeritasPrepKarishma , :)

As per below mentioned concept (marked in green) about which one has more volume V1 or V2. Why in the above mentioned question A2 = 50 and not 25 ?
25 pulled volume to itself as it is closer to 30. should not it be like this:

\(A1 = 50\)
\(A2 = 25\)
\(Aavg = 30\)

\(\frac{25-30}{30-50}\) = \(\frac{-1}{-4}\) ?? please explain :)

"Can you say anything about the relative value of V1 and V2? Can you say which one will be greater? We discussed in the previous post that when we find the weighted average of two quantities, the average is closer to the one which has higher weight because that quantity ‘pulls’ the average toward itself. So if the new mixture contains 30% alcohol, which of the two mixtures – A (20% alcohol) or B (50% alcohol), will have higher volume? Obviously A because it pulled the average toward itself. The average, 30% alcohol, is closer to 20% than to 50%. Now, let’s calculate exactly how much of the 15 gallons was mixture A and how much was mixture B."

many thanks! :)

Hi dave, let me try to explain this one as I understood it. It doesn't really matter which you choose to be A1 or A2 because A1 goes with w1 and A2 with w2 so if you decide A1 is 50 you will get the same answer because the ratio will become w2/w1 = (25-30/30-50) = 1/4. They said you should set A2 as the greatest number to ease things but A2 doesn't have to be the closest to the average. As long as you keep them linked with their "counterparts" you can switch them they way you like. I hope this helped. ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma
Bunuel

(A) 3%
(B) 20%
(C) 66%
(D) 75%
(E) 80%

w1w2=(A2–Aavg)(Aavg–A1)=(50–30)(30–25)=41w1w2=(A2–Aavg)(Aavg–A1)=(50–30)(30–25)=41

Out of 5 parts of total solution obtained, 50% solution was 1 part while 4 parts was 25% solution. So what part of the 50% solution was removed and replaced by the 25% solution? Would you agree it is (4/5)th? We can say that 80% of the 50% solution was replaced by the 25% solution.

In this question my ratio comes out to be 1:4 rather then 4:1. In many other questions too i'm having trouble identifying which value must be selected for a1 or a2. Can anyone please help me out. I'll be grateful.

mikemcgarry
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
asfandabid wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma
Bunuel

(A) 3%
(B) 20%
(C) 66%
(D) 75%
(E) 80%

w1w2=(A2–Aavg)(Aavg–A1)=(50–30)(30–25)=41w1w2=(A2–Aavg)(Aavg–A1)=(50–30)(30–25)=41

Out of 5 parts of total solution obtained, 50% solution was 1 part while 4 parts was 25% solution. So what part of the 50% solution was removed and replaced by the 25% solution? Would you agree it is (4/5)th? We can say that 80% of the 50% solution was replaced by the 25% solution.

In this question my ratio comes out to be 1:4 rather then 4:1. In many other questions too i'm having trouble identifying which value must be selected for a1 or a2. Can anyone please help me out. I'll be grateful.

mikemcgarry

This question is discussed here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-a-portion ... 00271.html You can find there all sorts of different solutions. In case if the questions still remains, please post there.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Weighted Average and Mixture Problems on the GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos