Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
Re: Private Equity [#permalink]
3underscore wrote:
More VC than PE I think.

Right, I didn't see an active VC-specific thread so I figured I'd pose the question here. :)
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: HLS
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
How does the salary even compare for an associate at a top BB ibd against one at a megafund?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [11]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker, hopefully can clear up the distinction a bit. Started as an analyst at a BB firm, pre-MBA associate @ PE, currently at H/S/W.

Investment banking is fundamentally a *sell-side* business. That is, they provide a service to corporations/sponsors (e.g. PE firms) etc. This includes M&A advice, equity/debt underwriting, research, sales and trading execution etc etc.

Private equity is exactly that. Private ownership in companies engineered typically through "leveraged" buyouts. It is what we call the "buy-side". Theoretically, the PE sponsor buys out the company, implements "structural" changes, and attempts to flip the company after a 3-5 yr timeframe in order to sell it for a profit. The operative word in that previous statement was "theoretically". In reality, nowadays what you see happening is PE firms buying out a company, doing a dividend recap while further leveraging up that company, firing workers, and then trying to sell the thing off to make a profit.

Alright now in terms of career, which one do you want to do? I just want to make one thing clear. A *lot* of people fetishize over PE, especially those who don't really understand what it is they do. Having done both Banking and PE, I can honestly say that I *prefer* banking. Why?

1) Compensation: The handful of megafunds typically do pay a bit more than the compensation to an IBD associate/VP etc. BUT, that implicitly factors in *carried interest*. Carried interest is essentially a co-investment at your PE firms fund. The problem with carried interest is that it may be worth a decent amount, ***or it can be worth nothing*** (see JC Flowers). In terms of cash compensation, the majority of middle-market PE firms pay essentially equivalent to what a BB-associate would make. So from a income perspective, neither IBD or PE will make you as rich as an entrepreneur, and in practical terms, progressing well in either will make you never want for anything.

2) Career Progression: Here's the main impetus behind my reasoning of why banking may be beneficial. IBD is a *sell-side* business. As long as you are essentially a good "sales-man", you are in a way your own little business within your bank. You can bring your rolodex with you anywhere, and be compensated for it. Additionally, there's no impediment to career progression. If you can get clients, you get promoted.

On the other hand, in PE, the key is since it is a *BUY-SIDE INVESTMENT BUSINESS*, no matter how "good" you are, you're not making the bulk of the money unless you put up substantial investment in the fund itself. I.e. You *must* risk your own capital in order to garner outsized returns. There is no reason for a PE fund to promote someone to "partner" *unless* they hold key relationships. The "technical" skills are the commodity - they can buy those off the labor market. The exception of course, is if you start your own PE fund... which again, comes down to pre-existing relationships.

3) Lifestyle: This is the only one where PE is a clear winner. Because you're on the buyside, you're not subject to the whims of the client (as you are on the sell-side). However, I want to add a caveat here. When you're on the sell-side, it's a fast-paced business where you need to make sure everything looks sharp in order to preserve your reputation and win clients. On the buy-side, you need to make sure everything looks sharp because you're risking $$$$$$$$ that belongs to your clients and your firm. The sell-side is more work, and in a sense, its very time consuming. But if you mess up a presentation, no one is losing hundreds of millions of dollars per se. On the buy-side, good luck if you get some numbers wrong.

Anyway, hope that serves a guide to non-finance MBA'ers out there. My hope is that everyone has a clear understanding of what PE is before automatically vying for it. Also one last note... with PE firms going public, expect returns to diminish and competition between firms to go up. Promotions to partner will be increasingly difficult as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Can a CFA help you land a job in PE?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
PE firms are sort of agnostic to CFAs (i.e. does not matter either way).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
sid05 wrote:
3underscore wrote:
More VC than PE I think.

Right, I didn't see an active VC-specific thread so I figured I'd pose the question here. :)

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/special-reports/top-venture-capital-firms

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
CJH2015, thank you a lot.
Very valuable post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Pkit wrote:
CJH2015, thank you a lot.
Very valuable post.

Exactly.

Kudos.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
CJH2015,
I would disagree regarding the compensation only.
If the salary is prorated for hours worked I think that IB salaries are much lower than those in PE.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
This thread is very interesting and informational. I'd also like to see a discussion on Investment Management Vs Sales & Trading.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Columbia Business School '13
 Q28  V36 GMAT 2: 650  Q40  V39 GMAT 3: 720  Q44  V45
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Send PM
CJH2015 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker, hopefully can clear up the distinction a bit. Started as an analyst at a BB firm, pre-MBA associate @ PE, currently at H/S/W.

Investment banking is fundamentally a *sell-side* business. That is, they provide a service to corporations/sponsors (e.g. PE firms) etc. This includes M&A advice, equity/debt underwriting, research, sales and trading execution etc etc.

Private equity is exactly that. Private ownership in companies engineered typically through "leveraged" buyouts. It is what we call the "buy-side". Theoretically, the PE sponsor buys out the company, implements "structural" changes, and attempts to flip the company after a 3-5 yr timeframe in order to sell it for a profit. The operative word in that previous statement was "theoretically". In reality, nowadays what you see happening is PE firms buying out a company, doing a dividend recap while further leveraging up that company, firing workers, and then trying to sell the thing off to make a profit.

Alright now in terms of career, which one do you want to do? I just want to make one thing clear. A *lot* of people fetishize over PE, especially those who don't really understand what it is they do. Having done both Banking and PE, I can honestly say that I *prefer* banking. Why?

1) Compensation: The handful of megafunds typically do pay a bit more than the compensation to an IBD associate/VP etc. BUT, that implicitly factors in *carried interest*. Carried interest is essentially a co-investment at your PE firms fund. The problem with carried interest is that it may be worth a decent amount, ***or it can be worth nothing*** (see JC Flowers). In terms of cash compensation, the majority of middle-market PE firms pay essentially equivalent to what a BB-associate would make. So from a income perspective, neither IBD or PE will make you as rich as an entrepreneur, and in practical terms, progressing well in either will make you never want for anything.

2) Career Progression: Here's the main impetus behind my reasoning of why banking may be beneficial. IBD is a *sell-side* business. As long as you are essentially a good "sales-man", you are in a way your own little business within your bank. You can bring your rolodex with you anywhere, and be compensated for it. Additionally, there's no impediment to career progression. If you can get clients, you get promoted.

On the other hand, in PE, the key is since it is a *BUY-SIDE INVESTMENT BUSINESS*, no matter how "good" you are, you're not making the bulk of the money unless you put up substantial investment in the fund itself. I.e. You *must* risk your own capital in order to garner outsized returns. There is no reason for a PE fund to promote someone to "partner" *unless* they hold key relationships. The "technical" skills are the commodity - they can buy those off the labor market. The exception of course, is if you start your own PE fund... which again, comes down to pre-existing relationships.

3) Lifestyle: This is the only one where PE is a clear winner. Because you're on the buyside, you're not subject to the whims of the client (as you are on the sell-side). However, I want to add a caveat here. When you're on the sell-side, it's a fast-paced business where you need to make sure everything looks sharp in order to preserve your reputation and win clients. On the buy-side, you need to make sure everything looks sharp because you're risking $$$$$$$$ that belongs to your clients and your firm. The sell-side is more work, and in a sense, its very time consuming. But if you mess up a presentation, no one is losing hundreds of millions of dollars per se. On the buy-side, good luck if you get some numbers wrong.

Anyway, hope that serves a guide to non-finance MBA'ers out there. My hope is that everyone has a clear understanding of what PE is before automatically vying for it. Also one last note... with PE firms going public, expect returns to diminish and competition between firms to go up. Promotions to partner will be increasingly difficult as well.

Nice summary, CJH. Kudos to you my friend. If I could write a Cliff's Notes of your PE/IBD description, I'd say that IBD is for salesmen with a limited appetite for risk. PE is for those confident enough in their valuation and transaction execution skills to risk their personal capital. And for the most part, I agree with everything you said.

However, folks interested in IBD/PE going forward will want to pay close attention to comp structure for bankers. Bankers are receiving less cash up front and more compensation in the way of equity grants which do not vest for up to three years. If you are a banker who receives half of his comp in equity grants, the total value of your compensation is now directly aligned with the success of your bank. In a sense, the banker is now in the same position as the PE guy. If the bank (fund) does exceptionally well, he can become fabulously wealthy. If his bank (fund) tanks, he'll be outside the subway with an empty cup asking for spare change. Therefore, the distinction that PE is for more risk-inclined individuals and IBD is for those who are more risk-averse may not be as accurate in the future.

...Thoughts from a former middle market investment banker.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
ispasovski wrote:

I'm working at a PE firm and took the 1st level of the CFA. I decided not to proceed because the CFA is so public equity-focused (i.e. stocks). It's really good if you want to become a portfolio manager. Not so much for PE, IMO.

The first level was somewhat relevant to what I do since there's a bunch of basic accounting and economics. I would guess only about 10% of the second and third levels of the CFA would be relevant to what I do at the PE firm. Private equity can be very transactional work, especially at the associate/analyst levels. A lot of days it's almost like being a lawyer or paralegal. Other days it's like being a mid-level manager. The analytics part requires a lot of Excel. And succeeding in the field in a more senior role requires a lot of contacts. I don't think the CFA helps with any of those things much.

Again, just my 2 cents and I only work at one firm. Other firms may be completely different. And don't take this as a knock on the CFA, I think it's a great cost-effective way to approach more stock-focused careers.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
That was very helpful to know -- thank you. What certifications would you recommend for PE then? What kind of training etc would you think would be helpful?

opus88 wrote:
ispasovski wrote:

I'm working at a PE firm and took the 1st level of the CFA. I decided not to proceed because the CFA is so public equity-focused (i.e. stocks). It's really good if you want to become a portfolio manager. Not so much for PE, IMO.

The first level was somewhat relevant to what I do since there's a bunch of basic accounting and economics. I would guess only about 10% of the second and third levels of the CFA would be relevant to what I do at the PE firm. Private equity can be very transactional work, especially at the associate/analyst levels. A lot of days it's almost like being a lawyer or paralegal. Other days it's like being a mid-level manager. The analytics part requires a lot of Excel. And succeeding in the field in a more senior role requires a lot of contacts. I don't think the CFA helps with any of those things much.

Again, just my 2 cents and I only work at one firm. Other firms may be completely different. And don't take this as a knock on the CFA, I think it's a great cost-effective way to approach more stock-focused careers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
Send PM
abhattac5 wrote:
That was very helpful to know -- thank you. What certifications would you recommend for PE then? What kind of training etc would you think would be helpful?

I don't know of any good certification outside of an MBA or law degree (the work is very transactional so there is a ton of legal work). A CFA couldn't hurt, I just don't know if it's worth the amount of time it takes if you know you want to do PE.

In terms of training, there's a reason a lot of investment bankers go into PE. The work is very similar. PE firms and I bankers are just playing different roles in a deal. Management consulting also provides relevant experience.

If you're asking about more specific skills, financial modeling in Excel comes to mind. I think a lot of the rest of the training you would require depends upon the firm or your role.

A lot will depend on your background. It's not a field that is typically looking for unconventional applicants with non-standard experience. If you're looking to break into the field, my advice would be to look on LinkedIn for people with similar profiles to you who are now in the field. Ask them how they ended up where they did.

And again, keep in mind, I'm just one guy at one firm. Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts