It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 07:36

Interview Invites:

MIT Sloan Chat  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  |  Duke Fuqua Chat (EA Decisions)  |  Live Chat with Cornell Adcoms Starting Soon in Main Chat Room


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 May 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 59

Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 12:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
Indian, Female. Graduate in B.Tech (Mechanical) with 3.12 GPA. Studied abroad (Italy, Europe) for 3years towards end of my schooling.

Have 3 years work ex.; good work progression with international exposure. Design & development role(automotive company) dealing with cross functional teams. Successfully executed the first project as project lead (in the first year of work), A* performance rating for the same, led various other parallel projects at the organization with 6-7 people as direct/indirect reportees. Led a group of five colleagues at tests & meetings with an international customer in S. Korea(Year 2). Appointed as mentor to six new recruits for their successful induction (year 3).
Presented paper at an International Conference 2016 in USA, representing the company I work in (Year 3).

Leadership+Extra curricular activities- Secretary, Centre for Human Resource Development, Students’ Council 2012-13; Head Secretary, Hostel 2011-12; Event Head, Cultural fest 2012; Prize at Art Exhibition in College Cultural Fest 2011; School for the Disabled (Disable Welfare Trust of India) 2010- Conducted art & craft workshops for differently abled children; Head of International Relations at Sixth Form Council at School of Milan 2009-10; Model United Nations, Bocconi University, Milano 2009- Delegate and Ambassador; UK Sports Leaders’ Award Level 1 2008; trained dancer-performed in India and Italy & at Inter-College fests;

What do you think my chances are for top MBA schools esp. Cambridge, Oxford, LBS, HEC, INSEAD, Manchester, Lancaser & NTU?Yet to take GMAT. What would be a good aim for score?

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 59

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2298

Kudos [?]: 238 [1], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 16:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thanks for sharing your profile. Your GPA will be a bit of a red flag at most of these schools. Schools look at the GPA and GMAT in concert so if you are lower on one aspect you will need to be higher on the other. So looking at the GPA you should target a score above 700+
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 238 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 278

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 4

Schools: Wharton
Re: Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 21:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi nrl9220,

Your not-so-common professional experience among Indian applicants and international experience gives you a decent shot at the schools you’ve mentioned. That’s on paper, though; you need to execute it well. With your target schools at 700 or under median score, aim for 700+ in GMAT.
_________________

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 289

Kudos [?]: 32 [1], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 23:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Consider the following points nrl9220:
  1. The overall role sounds interesting and non-common. This profile in auto firms however can be a bit too technical. You have done well to articulate it differently and that is something you will have to do a lot of for making a strong impression. The early leadership experiences will certainly come in handy.
  2. You have not mentioned the brand of your undergrad. That will matter too. There is no magic GMAT number; read here.
  3. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. However, if you can connect the dots well (a tough thing from auto background in general), and with the right GMAT, things can be pretty interesting.
  4. The one potential blind spot can be the ECS arc. Most/all of it seems dated. Recency effect is quite important there. Not much you can do in the limited time, but good to be aware of it.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
_________________

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Kudos [?]: 32 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 241

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Re: Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 06:08
Hi nrl9220,

Your work profile is good. International experience is a strong point also.

I would say that you will be on course (on paper) for the colleges you mention if you manage a 700 - 720. But apart from that, there is a lot riding on how well you are able to establish your career goals and how necessary an MBA is - given the goals you mention. If you've done the due diligence on this one, and can explain this clearly in your essays, and cross 700, most schools in your list will call you for an interview.

Regards,
Karthik

nrl9220 wrote:
Indian, Female. Graduate in B.Tech (Mechanical) with 3.12 GPA. Studied abroad (Italy, Europe) for 3years towards end of my schooling.

Have 3 years work ex.; good work progression with international exposure. Design & development role(automotive company) dealing with cross functional teams. Successfully executed the first project as project lead (in the first year of work), A* performance rating for the same, led various other parallel projects at the organization with 6-7 people as direct/indirect reportees. Led a group of five colleagues at tests & meetings with an international customer in S. Korea(Year 2). Appointed as mentor to six new recruits for their successful induction (year 3).
Presented paper at an International Conference 2016 in USA, representing the company I work in (Year 3).

Leadership+Extra curricular activities- Secretary, Centre for Human Resource Development, Students’ Council 2012-13; Head Secretary, Hostel 2011-12; Event Head, Cultural fest 2012; Prize at Art Exhibition in College Cultural Fest 2011; School for the Disabled (Disable Welfare Trust of India) 2010- Conducted art & craft workshops for differently abled children; Head of International Relations at Sixth Form Council at School of Milan 2009-10; Model United Nations, Bocconi University, Milano 2009- Delegate and Ambassador; UK Sports Leaders’ Award Level 1 2008; trained dancer-performed in India and Italy & at Inter-College fests;

What do you think my chances are for top MBA schools esp. Cambridge, Oxford, LBS, HEC, INSEAD, Manchester, Lancaser & NTU?Yet to take GMAT. What would be a good aim for score?

_________________

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.


If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 02:00
nrl9220 wrote:
Indian, Female. Graduate in B.Tech (Mechanical) with 3.12 GPA. Studied abroad (Italy, Europe) for 3years towards end of my schooling.

Have 3 years work ex.; good work progression with international exposure. Design & development role(automotive company) dealing with cross functional teams. Successfully executed the first project as project lead (in the first year of work), A* performance rating for the same, led various other parallel projects at the organization with 6-7 people as direct/indirect reportees. Led a group of five colleagues at tests & meetings with an international customer in S. Korea(Year 2). Appointed as mentor to six new recruits for their successful induction (year 3).
Presented paper at an International Conference 2016 in USA, representing the company I work in (Year 3).

Leadership+Extra curricular activities- Secretary, Centre for Human Resource Development, Students’ Council 2012-13; Head Secretary, Hostel 2011-12; Event Head, Cultural fest 2012; Prize at Art Exhibition in College Cultural Fest 2011; School for the Disabled (Disable Welfare Trust of India) 2010- Conducted art & craft workshops for differently abled children; Head of International Relations at Sixth Form Council at School of Milan 2009-10; Model United Nations, Bocconi University, Milano 2009- Delegate and Ambassador; UK Sports Leaders’ Award Level 1 2008; trained dancer-performed in India and Italy & at Inter-College fests;

What do you think my chances are for top MBA schools esp. Cambridge, Oxford, LBS, HEC, INSEAD, Manchester, Lancaser & NTU?Yet to take GMAT. What would be a good aim for score?


You definitely have an interesting profile for an Indian applicant, which makes you very competitive. The only red flag, as already mentioned, is your GPA which is not ideal. Therefore, I would agree that you need a GMAT score of at least 700 in order to compensate for that GPA a bit and to really have a shot of admission, especially at the schools that I think are the best suited for you due to your international experience, which would be INSEAD, HEC and LBS.

Good luck!

JL
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 May 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 59

Re: Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 11:59
Hello.

Thank you for your feedback.

I had a few queries in response to your profile eval.:

Profile too technical in auto firms as in? isn't it more relevant for auto firms and not so relevant/too technical for the rest?
Brand of undergrad - Do you mean branch? or College? Branch- Mechanical; College - NIT, Surat.
The dated activities - I agree & understand. My focus shifted more towards work as it has involved a lot of and frequent traveling till now. As a result, I couldn't' spend much time on other activities/hobbies in a more 'çertificated' manner. Any inputs on how to address this?


MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
Consider the following points nrl9220:
  1. The overall role sounds interesting and non-common. This profile in auto firms however can be a bit too technical. You have done well to articulate it differently and that is something you will have to do a lot of for making a strong impression. The early leadership experiences will certainly come in handy.
  2. You have not mentioned the brand of your undergrad. That will matter too. There is no magic GMAT number; read here.
  3. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. However, if you can connect the dots well (a tough thing from auto background in general), and with the right GMAT, things can be pretty interesting.
  4. The one potential blind spot can be the ECS arc. Most/all of it seems dated. Recency effect is quite important there. Not much you can do in the limited time, but good to be aware of it.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 59

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 May 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 59

Re: Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 12:04
Do you mean to say that INSEAD, HEC & LBS put much emphasis on intnl exposure in a candidate's profile?

INSEAD I believe asks for much higher work experience. Moreover, they dont provide profile feedbacks. Can you throw some light on this understanding from your experience? And would INSEAD Singapore v/s Fontainebleau be different in this respect?

Aringo wrote:
nrl9220 wrote:
Indian, Female. Graduate in B.Tech (Mechanical) with 3.12 GPA. Studied abroad (Italy, Europe) for 3years towards end of my schooling.

Have 3 years work ex.; good work progression with international exposure. Design & development role(automotive company) dealing with cross functional teams. Successfully executed the first project as project lead (in the first year of work), A* performance rating for the same, led various other parallel projects at the organization with 6-7 people as direct/indirect reportees. Led a group of five colleagues at tests & meetings with an international customer in S. Korea(Year 2). Appointed as mentor to six new recruits for their successful induction (year 3).
Presented paper at an International Conference 2016 in USA, representing the company I work in (Year 3).

Leadership+Extra curricular activities- Secretary, Centre for Human Resource Development, Students’ Council 2012-13; Head Secretary, Hostel 2011-12; Event Head, Cultural fest 2012; Prize at Art Exhibition in College Cultural Fest 2011; School for the Disabled (Disable Welfare Trust of India) 2010- Conducted art & craft workshops for differently abled children; Head of International Relations at Sixth Form Council at School of Milan 2009-10; Model United Nations, Bocconi University, Milano 2009- Delegate and Ambassador; UK Sports Leaders’ Award Level 1 2008; trained dancer-performed in India and Italy & at Inter-College fests;

What do you think my chances are for top MBA schools esp. Cambridge, Oxford, LBS, HEC, INSEAD, Manchester, Lancaser & NTU?Yet to take GMAT. What would be a good aim for score?


You definitely have an interesting profile for an Indian applicant, which makes you very competitive. The only red flag, as already mentioned, is your GPA which is not ideal. Therefore, I would agree that you need a GMAT score of at least 700 in order to compensate for that GPA a bit and to really have a shot of admission, especially at the schools that I think are the best suited for you due to your international experience, which would be INSEAD, HEC and LBS.

Good luck!

JL

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 59

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 289

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 04:55
nrl9220 wrote:
Hello.

Thank you for your feedback.

I had a few queries in response to your profile eval.:

Profile too technical in auto firms as in? isn't it more relevant for auto firms and not so relevant/too technical for the rest?
Brand of undergrad - Do you mean branch? or College? Branch- Mechanical; College - NIT, Surat.
The dated activities - I agree & understand. My focus shifted more towards work as it has involved a lot of and frequent traveling till now. As a result, I couldn't' spend much time on other activities/hobbies in a more 'çertificated' manner. Any inputs on how to address this?



What I meant was, your role is technical in nature but for MBA in general and post-MBA recruitment in particular, you have to showcase transferable skills - so many of those technical expertise will not be very relevant. And you have to explain the business skills you bring to the table.

Yes, I meant the college. NITs have a decent brand so should be good.

Not a lot you can do to really build those aspects. But you don't really need certificates. As long as you have done stuff, make sure to articulate it your essays/resume.

Cheers,
_________________

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 May 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 59

Re: Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 12:09
So my understanding is that my profile - Design AND development, as it involves interacting, coordinating and managing cross-functional teams of a project, would be a good fit. As I work on a project as a designer as well as project lead I have interactions with the manufacturing, marketing, testing, end customer, external agencies all. So it involves managing all these teams and the development of the product. my dept is essentially product development. any further feedback on this?


n dated activities...I HAVE certificates as a matter of fact, as these were a part of my IB course - CAS (Creativity, Action & Service (social) ) as a part of which every activity required evidence - photo/article/letter as well as a completion certificate signed/stamped. Every activity was self initiated and executed be it dance, art, social work or any sport. But yes, these are all from around that time. College activities also have certificates. Again till 2014 though. They DID help me GROW as a person. TRULY. Will surely bring those in. They have influenced my personality, my mindset way more than the grades!

MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
nrl9220 wrote:
Hello.

Thank you for your feedback.

I had a few queries in response to your profile eval.:

Profile too technical in auto firms as in? isn't it more relevant for auto firms and not so relevant/too technical for the rest?
Brand of undergrad - Do you mean branch? or College? Branch- Mechanical; College - NIT, Surat.
The dated activities - I agree & understand. My focus shifted more towards work as it has involved a lot of and frequent traveling till now. As a result, I couldn't' spend much time on other activities/hobbies in a more 'çertificated' manner. Any inputs on how to address this?



What I meant was, your role is technical in nature but for MBA in general and post-MBA recruitment in particular, you have to showcase transferable skills - so many of those technical expertise will not be very relevant. And you have to explain the business skills you bring to the table.

Yes, I meant the college. NITs have a decent brand so should be good.

Not a lot you can do to really build those aspects. But you don't really need certificates. As long as you have done stuff, make sure to articulate it your essays/resume.

Cheers,

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 59

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 289

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 05:35
nrl9220 wrote:
So my understanding is that my profile - Design AND development, as it involves interacting, coordinating and managing cross-functional teams of a project, would be a good fit. As I work on a project as a designer as well as project lead I have interactions with the manufacturing, marketing, testing, end customer, external agencies all. So it involves managing all these teams and the development of the product. my dept is essentially product development. any further feedback on this?


n dated activities...I HAVE certificates as a matter of fact, as these were a part of my IB course - CAS (Creativity, Action & Service (social) ) as a part of which every activity required evidence - photo/article/letter as well as a completion certificate signed/stamped. Every activity was self initiated and executed be it dance, art, social work or any sport. But yes, these are all from around that time. College activities also have certificates. Again till 2014 though. They DID help me GROW as a person. TRULY. Will surely bring those in. They have influenced my personality, my mindset way more than the grades!




While the skills and experience sound good, you need to translate/filter that keeping in mind your post-MBA plans. Not possible to give a detailed storyline on such a forum with limited interactions obviously.

Yes, do bring out those ECs/volunteer activities and hope for the best.

Cheers,
_________________

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2017, 05:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Eval - Indian ENgg. Female. 2018 intake

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.