GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 10:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 02:51
Hi,

I am an architect by profession. Currently im working for an e-commerce start up for past 2.3yrs as a Community Manager.

My Educational qualification:
X : 79.2%
X+2 : 76.8%
B.Arch: 2007-2012 , 1st Division with 61.2%
LLB : 2013-2016, 2nd division

Prior to my current job, I was doing my own practice for 2.5yrs as an architect. I am planning to Give GMAT this year and try to get into ISB for class of 2020.

How good is my profile to apply to ISB? With this profile how much should i target in GMAT to get through ISB.

Thanks in Advance.
SVP
SVP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 02:55
Top Contributor
arpulkit89 wrote:
Hi,

I am an architect by profession. Currently im working for an e-commerce start up for past 2.3yrs as a Community Manager.

Prior to my current job, I was doing my own practice for 2.5yrs as an architect. I am planning to Give GMAT this year and try to get into ISB for class of 2020.

How good is my profile to apply to ISB? With this profile how much should i target in GMAT to get through ISB.

Thanks in Advance.

With a background and experience in architecture, and your current work in e-commerce, you do have diversity that ISB looks for. Although this is not a complete evaluation (would need details of your responsibilities, achievements, and ECA for that), broadly, with a 700+ GMAT you should have a decent chance.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: ISB (A)

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 21:19
arpulkit89 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in Advance.

Hi,
ISB assesses each applicant holistically. Significant weightage is placed on the following:
- Profile: This includes your educational background, the quality and tenure of your work experience, and your participation in extracurricular activities.
There is not a significant amount of information available to assess the quality of your work experience. It would be helpful to have a bit more clarity around your exact role, the impact of our decisions, the kind of teams you work with and the scope of responsibilities and duties delivered by you. However, a compelling case can be built around the diversity in your profile – Architecture, e-commerce, LLB etc. Having said that, you need to be careful to clearly highlight the clarity in your goals and what you aspire to achieve. Right now, your academic and professional profile appears quite scattered
- Application: This includes your essays and Letter of recommendation (LoR). Your essays will compose of answers to two crucial questions that ISB asks as a part of their application. Along with the essays, an LoR will be sought from your supervisors at work
Essays are a crucial aspect of an ISB application. You are expected to be succinct while justifying the need for an MBA at this stage of your life. If you can create a compelling story that justifies an MBA from ISB as a means of transition from your short-term goals to medium term and long-term goals, you should not face any challenges in this regard. You should also be confident of your unique contributions to the class, and highlight the same in your application. We recommend you leverage your diversity in your application essays as that is your biggest USP. Your career goals need to be presented in a compelling fashion, with a natural flow established between where you are currently and how ISB’s PGP plugs the gap to enable you to achieve your long-term objective.
- Test Score: Your GMAT/GRE score will be representative of your reasoning and aptitude-related abilities. It can be used to compensate for the lack of stellar academics
Given your profile, any score above 700 positions you well for the ISB admissions process. The only thing you need to be mindful of is the scatter in your profile till now. However, with careful deliberations and a smart approach, you can easily turn around this handicap into one of your key strengths.
Overall, we believe you stand a decent chance at securing an interview call and would recommend you go ahead by paying attention on your Essays. They will be the deciding factor given your profile since you have all other bases covered.
Hope this helps!

Regards,

Team Strategy4GMAT

http://www.strategy4gmat.com

(an ISB alumni initiative)

Not sure how a consultant helps? Try our FREE essay review below:

https://goo.gl/forms/JLfAYZ2icNSDlShI3

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 21:57
Hello arpulkit89

Your work experience is vastly different from the usual applicants that ISB sees. Now while that will definitely add diversity to you profile, it also comes with its own challenges.
The primary of these challenges is showcasing a need to study at ISB. From architecture to LLB, you have two very distinct job roles in the past. Furthermore, what are your long term goals and how do they tie in with your past experience/skills. More importantly, how do they tie in with ISB. Yiu will need to focus especially on answering these in your essays. You might benefit by reading here.
The second challenge is to present your career progress, conscious decisions behind each career move, achievements at work, business impact and contribution in extracurricular activities. Reading heremay help understand all the factors you must focus on in the written application.
Apart from getting a decent GMAT score (700+ in your case to also compensate for your not so stellar past scores) you will need to present your case as highlighted above.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

arpulkit89 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in Advance.

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 08:16
Hi Pulkit, Clear career goals and a good gmat score..at least 700 or above...get them and you stand a good chance.

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
G
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 03:42
arpulkit89 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in Advance.

Hi arpulkit89,

With your experience as an architect, a law degree, as well as your work in the e-commerce domain, you have quite a diverse profile that ISB wishes to see in applicants. However, since the information provided by you (in terms of achievements, skill-set, career goals) is limited, we are unable to offer a detailed evaluation. However, overall, aim for a score upwards of 700. Needless to say, a lot will also depend on the quality of essays you craft for the purpose of the application. We suggest you watch the following video to garner a better sense of how you may approach the same.

All the best! :-)

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

GMAT Club Bot
Profile Evaluation &nbs [#permalink] 02 Oct 2018, 03:42

Profile Evaluation

post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap