Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Stratus Admissions Counseling
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Versado73 wrote:
Many thanks for your opinion! I have friends with a very similar profile (same degree, same grades, little work experience etc) that got accepted with an average gmat score (650/660) at schools like HEC, Insead, Lbs etc. Some schools made conditional offers and just asked them to retake the gmat. Perhaps if they are interested in my profile then they would just ask me for a better Gmat score?

Anyways today I decided to start my application, because I just thought if my friends got accepted then I can also do it...I would just state on my application that I am planning to retake the gmat. However there might a difference between a 640 and a 650...and also i dont know the "consequences" of reapplying, if it really is a "minus".... What do you think?

Thanks for sharing your opinion

StratusSoterios wrote:
Versado73 wrote:
Hi all,

I would like your opinion on my profile so that I can plan the correct course of actions. I am targeting schools such as HEC, SAINT GALLEN, LBS, ESSEC, ESCP. I wanted to apply to round 3 but unfortunately, I got a poor Gmat so I just thought I would take a gap year, do some internships and apply for round 1 next year with a top Gmat score. However I was wondering if I still applied this year, perhaps got rejected but could take some experience in the interviews, would it be bad? As round 1 is in October, my profile wouldn't change a lot (except Gmat/internships), so what do you think? I could also state on my application that I am planning to retake the Gmat... I am a bit lost, and not 100% of what I want to do in the future.

-GMAT:640
-The University of Warwick, Bachelor Management, grade 69%
-3month internship in a real estate company - 2months internship NGO
-Extracurriculars: High-level athlete, competed internationally for more than 10years - and thus haven't been involved in any society at uni. Passionate about running (ran half marathons etc)

Thank you!

Hi Versado73 - thank you for reaching out to us! Are you applying for MBA or MiM programs? I'm guessing MiM based on your brief work experience and your mention of a gap year, and if so, I would lean towards waiting to apply next year once you have the higher score and internship, so that you put your best foot forward with your applications. Although you are able to reapply to many MiM programs, they look for significant improvement over your rejected first application, so I think you would do better by waiting and having your initial applications be as strong as possible. At least that's my take. Best of luck to you!

That's great - it sounds like if your friends with very similar profiles got in, then you're right that you should have a decent chance, particularly if you proactively let the schools know that you are taking the GMAT again (will you be taking it in time for them to get results before they make their final decisions?). And was I correct to assume you are applying for MiM programs?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Profile evaluation [#permalink]
Yes I am applying to MiM Programs. I will try to send them my new gmat score asap, that is why I was thinking of applying to french schools through SAI (Join A school). The essays are less time consuming, even though I am targeting only HEC, ESCP in the 5schools. Have you heard anything about the SAI Platform? Or should I apply directly to HEC and not through SAI? There is little information on the SAI process and whether it still gives a fair shot to HEC/ESCP

Thanks!

StratusSoterios wrote:
Versado73 wrote:
Many thanks for your opinion! I have friends with a very similar profile (same degree, same grades, little work experience etc) that got accepted with an average gmat score (650/660) at schools like HEC, Insead, Lbs etc. Some schools made conditional offers and just asked them to retake the gmat. Perhaps if they are interested in my profile then they would just ask me for a better Gmat score?

Anyways today I decided to start my application, because I just thought if my friends got accepted then I can also do it...I would just state on my application that I am planning to retake the gmat. However there might a difference between a 640 and a 650...and also i dont know the "consequences" of reapplying, if it really is a "minus".... What do you think?

-Extracurriculars: High-level athlete, competed internationally for more than 10years - and thus haven't been involved in any society at uni. Passionate about running (ran half marathons etc)

Thank you!

Hi Versado73 - thank you for reaching out to us! Are you applying for MBA or MiM programs? I'm guessing MiM based on your brief work experience and your mention of a gap year, and if so, I would lean towards waiting to apply next year once you have the higher score and internship, so that you put your best foot forward with your applications. Although you are able to reapply to many MiM programs, they look for significant improvement over your rejected first application, so I think you would do better by waiting and having your initial applications be as strong as possible. At least that's my take. Best of luck to you!
[/quote]

That's great - it sounds like if your friends with very similar profiles got in, then you're right that you should have a decent chance, particularly if you proactively let the schools know that you are taking the GMAT again (will you be taking it in time for them to get results before they make their final decisions?). And was I correct to assume you are applying for MiM programs?[/quote]
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Versado73 wrote:
Yes I am applying to MiM Programs. I will try to send them my new gmat score asap, that is why I was thinking of applying to french schools through SAI (Join A school). The essays are less time consuming, even though I am targeting only HEC, ESCP in the 5schools. Have you heard anything about the SAI Platform? Or should I apply directly to HEC and not through SAI? There is little information on the SAI process and whether it still gives a fair shot to HEC/ESCP
Hi @versado73-- just jumping in to follow up on my colleague Soterios replied-- and to share that if you want mainly HEC and ESCP you may be best to consider those programs directly. However if you want to cast the widest net this would give you an easy way to apply to several programs at the same time.

Thanks!

StratusSoterios wrote:
Versado73 wrote:

Thank you!

That's great - it sounds like if your friends with very similar profiles got in, then you're right that you should have a decent chance, particularly if you proactively let the schools know that you are taking the GMAT again (will you be taking it in time for them to get results before they make their final decisions?). And was I correct to assume you are applying for MiM programs?[/quote][/quote]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hello Sir/Madam,

It would really help me if you can take a few minutes to go through my profile and help me evaluate my changes of a fit into the top b-schools in US.

My profile at a glance :

Nationality : Indian

Higher Secondary : 9.7/10
Senior Secondary : 97.8%
B.Tech : Computer Science Engineer. CGPA 8.72/10. VIT University. One of the top 20 Engineering schools in India. Initially was too focused on Entrepreneurship hence had a low GPA but once I realised I wanted to go for higher studies, I put my whole and soul into studies with the last two semesters giving me 9.5/10 and 9.8/10 in GPA.

GMAT : 730 Q50 V39 IR6 AWA4

Internships: 2
JPS Precast : Business development associate intern.
Novartis : Summer Intern.

Work Experience : 31 months at Novartis(Pharmaceutical Industry). 12 months as an Associate, 16 months as an Analyst and 3 months as a Manager.

Impact at work :
1. 2 promotions in 2 years. Currently performing the role of a Digital Operations Manager(Need a minimun exp of 5 years. So probably the youngest in the firm).
2. Represented my firm at the Bio Asia Conference.
3. Was part of the young leaders connect with the CEO.
4. Youngest person to receive the Above and Beyond Gold award.
5. Winner of the CIE - IIIT Medtech Hackathon. Developed a quantifiable mechanism to track the progress of alzheimers and the impact of medicine in curbing the same. Was offered an opporunity with a seed fund to take the idea forward. Could not because the the idea belongs to the firm since we represented the firm.
6. Part of a major initiative to completely transform the way patients are hired for clinical trials. Currently active in 3 different countries and very soon to expand to most of Europe and Americas.
7. Part of the first team of college graduates ever to convert the internship at the firm.
8. Led a team of 4 in streamlining the process to induct fresh grads into the firm and was part of the hiring team as well.
9. Organised several events for the firm both in the cultural and team building space.

Most Impactful achievement :
Developed a platform that automates the documentation required while recording clinical trials. The tools saves almost 2000 hours per annum. And it is currently used by almost 80% of trials in the organisation. Given that COVID has halted most of the work around the globe, this tool saw tremendous traction and really made an impact in the way clinical trials are documented. Given that clinical trials consume the most amount of time in a for a drug to release into the market, it made a huge difference that too with COVID all around.

Accomplishments outside work:
Gained admission to one of the most competetive high schools in the country with a merit scholarship. The conversion rate of which is 8%.
Won INSPIRE scholarship for being in the top 1% of students in Senior Secondary.
Organised and oversaw the execution of Kids festival, probably the first of its kind for a public school children, which saw several dignitaries attending and it soon got expanded in scope to several other schools.

Extracurriculars/Hobbies :
I am the founder/author of a Familial Public Charity trust and we try to provide for the educational requirements of the less previleged.
I am also one of the co founders of an agricultural startup with a business turover of almost $100k in the very first year.
I really love to Fish and travel.
Was part of a NGOs while in college.

Thats pretty much on a high level about me. I would really appreciate if you could tell me what schools are within my reach(I know that being an Indian with a 730, M7 may be out of my reach. I have always dreamed of placing myself with the likes of Ross, Darden, Stern, Anderson). I am looking to go into consulting post my MBA.

Thank you for your time and inputs in this regard.
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
avinash1105 wrote:
Hello Sir/Madam,

It would really help me if you can take a few minutes to go through my profile and help me evaluate my changes of a fit into the top b-schools in US.

My profile at a glance :

Nationality : Indian

Higher Secondary : 9.7/10
Senior Secondary : 97.8%
B.Tech : Computer Science Engineer. CGPA 8.72/10. VIT University. One of the top 20 Engineering schools in India. Initially was too focused on Entrepreneurship hence had a low GPA but once I realised I wanted to go for higher studies, I put my whole and soul into studies with the last two semesters giving me 9.5/10 and 9.8/10 in GPA.

GMAT : 730 Q50 V39 IR6 AWA4

Internships: 2
JPS Precast : Business development associate intern.
Novartis : Summer Intern.

Work Experience : 31 months at Novartis(Pharmaceutical Industry). 12 months as an Associate, 16 months as an Analyst and 3 months as a Manager.

Impact at work :
1. 2 promotions in 2 years. Currently performing the role of a Digital Operations Manager(Need a minimun exp of 5 years. So probably the youngest in the firm).
2. Represented my firm at the Bio Asia Conference.
3. Was part of the young leaders connect with the CEO.
4. Youngest person to receive the Above and Beyond Gold award.
5. Winner of the CIE - IIIT Medtech Hackathon. Developed a quantifiable mechanism to track the progress of alzheimers and the impact of medicine in curbing the same. Was offered an opporunity with a seed fund to take the idea forward. Could not because the the idea belongs to the firm since we represented the firm.
6. Part of a major initiative to completely transform the way patients are hired for clinical trials. Currently active in 3 different countries and very soon to expand to most of Europe and Americas.
7. Part of the first team of college graduates ever to convert the internship at the firm.
8. Led a team of 4 in streamlining the process to induct fresh grads into the firm and was part of the hiring team as well.
9. Organised several events for the firm both in the cultural and team building space.

Most Impactful achievement :
Developed a platform that automates the documentation required while recording clinical trials. The tools saves almost 2000 hours per annum. And it is currently used by almost 80% of trials in the organisation. Given that COVID has halted most of the work around the globe, this tool saw tremendous traction and really made an impact in the way clinical trials are documented. Given that clinical trials consume the most amount of time in a for a drug to release into the market, it made a huge difference that too with COVID all around.

Accomplishments outside work:
Gained admission to one of the most competetive high schools in the country with a merit scholarship. The conversion rate of which is 8%.
Won INSPIRE scholarship for being in the top 1% of students in Senior Secondary.
Organised and oversaw the execution of Kids festival, probably the first of its kind for a public school children, which saw several dignitaries attending and it soon got expanded in scope to several other schools.

Extracurriculars/Hobbies :
I am the founder/author of a Familial Public Charity trust and we try to provide for the educational requirements of the less previleged.
I am also one of the co founders of an agricultural startup with a business turover of almost $100k in the very first year.
I really love to Fish and travel.
Was part of a NGOs while in college.

Thats pretty much on a high level about me. I would really appreciate if you could tell me what schools are within my reach(I know that being an Indian with a 730, M7 may be out of my reach. I have always dreamed of placing myself with the likes of Ross, Darden, Stern, Anderson). I am looking to go into consulting post my MBA.

Thank you for your time and inputs in this regard.

Hi avinash1105 - Thank you for reaching out. I'm happy to provide my thoughts. As I'm sure you know, you are from an overrepresented demographic, so unfortunately the bar will be a bit higher for you as you try to differentiate yourself from amongst other candidates. But you have a very impressive background, with great work experience, specific (and impressive) accomplishments, and also great extracurricular and entrepreneurial experience, all of which will help your chances tremendously. Your GMAT is at or below the average these schools look for from Indian candidates. But I think it's high enough that you have demonstrated academic ability, especially together with your grades. If you can impress these schools with your essays about your various experiences, and explain where you are headed (not just consulting, but what impact do you want to have in the world), and how an MBA from each specific school will help you get there, you certainly have a good chance. Are you applying R1 this coming Fall? I'm hoping that is the case, as I think having a little extra experience will help your chances, and R1 acceptance rates are higher than R3, also helping your chances.

When we work with clients, we divide up schools into Stretch, Target, and Likely. I would urge you to consider applying to schools in all three categories with your background. M7 schools are a Stretch for every candidate, but I do think you have a chance, so would urge you to apply to one or more, particularly if there are any that seem to be a particularly good fit for you. I think the schools on your list are all "Target" which means you more or less fit within their criteria and ranges, and your chances depend on who else is applying in your round, and how well you do on your essays. I would also consider adding one or more "Likely" schools if you definitely want to go to business school in 2022 -- these are schools where your GMAT is 30+ points above their average for your demographic, so you are likely to get in. We find often these are the schools that offer the most generous financial aid packages, in case that is important to you.

Hope this helps! And best of luck to you!
GMAT Club Bot