Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION.. ADVISE NEEDED [#permalink]
Hi there,

Firstly, thank you for so much information! That is incredibly helpful. I agree with Paul's comment regarding the GMAT. Even a slight improvement may open the doors to slightly higher ranks and each notch you can climb makes a difference. Given your goals you're going for a thorough business education and the ability to gain hands on experience so I'm not saying this from a pure pedigree standpoint (where, for example, it might matter for someone trying to get into consulting).

I think you have a good profile and definitely a lot of experiences to pull from. Additionally, some of them, like the cannery, are definitely off the beaten path. Overall, your path through life to this point hasn't been the standard, cookie cutter approach and that will be your key differentiator.

I won't reiterate what Erina and Paul have mentioned because i agree with them. I will, however, address your last question about specialized service. Obviously, we provide these services as well but I am writing the below as objectively as possible to help you out.

The main advantage to consulting services is that we don't just help you turn out good, individual components like a good resume or a good essay. Firstly, we work with the client to understand the ins and outs of your application to make sure those components are great. But secondly, and more importantly, we make sure all these components work together. That's the real advantage services like ours bring to the table - it's how we help you put forward a cohesive, unified, and compelling application that works together to touch upon key themes.

If you have questions - please don't hesitate to ask. I hope that helps a little in understanding what the value proposition of services like ours actually is.

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Ideally you would like a higher GMAT score. But unlike the advice I give Indian applicants Mexicans usually score lower on the GMAT because of the lack of standardized testing in Central America.

Where did you go to university? If you graduated from a name undergraduate institution like Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México or Tecnológico de Monterrey, this will help your admissions chances.

I think you are already competitive for the schools you are targeting and actually can aim higher. I think you are competitive for the top 16-20 and with a higher GMAT score would be competitive for the Top 8-15.

The key is to position your experience as strongly as possible with your family business and how some of your previous work experience help you with your family business. More and more schools are focusing on family business (although thought leaders like Kellogg, Wharton and NYU Stern are out of your range with your present score). Check the entrepreneurship programs of schools outside of the top 15 and see which have family business (sometimes called family enterprise) course, clubs, and/or conferences.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Thanks to everyone, I really appreciate you took the time to reply.

I have read that everyone (including me) considers that I should try to improve my gmat score. I really think it is a good idea. But I was wondering how many points should I improve in order to be competitive in better ranked program. I have no problem with taking the test again, by how many points should improve my score in order to make a difference in my application?

Lets say I score a 660 will that really make a difference? or I should only consider to retake the test if I am looking to improve 20, 30 or more points..

Thanks in advance
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey David,

I think the answer to your question comes down to perception versus statistical impact. For example, 660 after a 650 wouldn't make a statistical difference to the adcoms and merely reiterate that the 650ish level is accurate for your abilities on the exam.

However, a 20 - 30 point improvement not only improves your score's perception, but also statistically via the percentile.

Either way, I still think you should take it again but what you're really going for is the 20-30 point improvement. a 680 would put you in a good spot within the range of most of the top programs. Also, that will paint a story around trajectory and say, "look, I got a 650 but then I studied and improved X" which is a great thing to be able to say.

Bhavik
GMAT Club Bot