Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V34
GRE 1: Q170 V160
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Profile Evaluation: Asian-American Male Engineer [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
SimbaJSK

Hi, I just responded to your other question in the ask admission section. So it seems you're not Indian but you are Asian, which is the second most prevalent profile. If you are Chinese that's a lot more overrepresented the Japanese, Korean less so than Chinese but still overrepresented. So we would need to get specificity around that to do the analysis. If you are Chinese than I would definitely strive for a 750 plus.

Given that you have 2 to 4 years to do it strive for the best you can do with the GMAT, period. If they have 2 comparable profiles and one of them has a 20 point advantage over you you'll lose out so go for bumping that up as long as you can fix your profile in other areas concurrently.

Jobs in aeronautic engineering to my understanding are not 80 hours a week or anything so it's a great opportunity for you to get active in the community join toastmasters make yourself interesting to read about.

There's just not a lot of qualitative information here to go on….its good that you went to a good school and graduated in mechanical engineering, but now what? I'm getting is that you probably wrote your goals in a way that was unconvincing.

It could very well be that they are not super motivated to help you get rich in finance. so that would kind of work against you in terms of the STEM advantage. Still suspect there was probably an overall issue with your essays and your overall application and all the elements combined with in it.

Really need to know more about who you are, and that might get to the heart of what you failed to do -- really communicate to them who you are -- as your closest friends would describe you.

I'm not seeing any community service here which is a really big problem or really anything else that would tell me about who you are hobbies, passions, activities that were meaningful to you travel etc.

SimbaJSK wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering how realistic my school categorizations are based on my profile. I am thinking about retaking the GMAT again to achieve a score of 750+ due to my demographic, and I plan to apply in 2-4 years. My profile/background is as follows:

Ethnicity: Asian-American (Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
Area of Study: Majored in Mechanical Engineering and Minored in Finance
School: Top 10 U.S. University (not known for engineering)
GMAT: 740 (2nd attempt)
Experience: 100% in the aerospace industry (internships)
Post-Graduation Job: Engineer at Fortune 100 Aerospace Engineering Firm

Far Reaches: HBS, GSB
Reaches: Wharton, MIT, Columbia, Booth
Target: Kellogg, Haas, Ross, Duke, Yale, NYU

My intended post-MBA career is in management consulting (MBB), using my experiences in the engineering industry (both small and large firms) to help clients with problems unique to the intersection of business and engineering.

Thanks in advance.
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation: Asian-American Male Engineer [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi SimbaJSK,

If I were you I would not risk retaking GMAT again with the current score being 740 until and unless with the confident of adding 30+ point. The fact is adding 10/20 points for your current score will not make any major difference in your profile. Your years of experience aerospace industry looks goods considering your not from typical IT pool. As your current profile looks good to apply for most schools listed there, but I suggest you look into the STEM program as it can surely help you in achieving your post-MBA goal.

You can also try our unique tool called "Chances of B school" to know schools to fit your requirement.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
SimbaJSK wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering how realistic my school categorizations are based on my profile. I am thinking about retaking the GMAT again to achieve a score of 750+ due to my demographic, and I plan to apply in 2-4 years. My profile/background is as follows:

Ethnicity: Asian-American (Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
Area of Study: Majored in Mechanical Engineering and Minored in Finance
School: Top 10 U.S. University (not known for engineering)
GMAT: 740 (2nd attempt)
Experience: 100% in the aerospace industry (internships)
Post-Graduation Job: Engineer at Fortune 100 Aerospace Engineering Firm

Far Reaches: HBS, GSB
Reaches: Wharton, MIT, Columbia, Booth
Target: Kellogg, Haas, Ross, Duke, Yale, NYU

My intended post-MBA career is in management consulting (MBB), using my experiences in the engineering industry (both small and large firms) to help clients with problems unique to the intersection of business and engineering.

Thanks in advance.

Hey SimbaJSK,

At this point, your only goal should be to begin developing strong relationships at your first job, both with peers and managers. First and foremost, it will go a long way when deciding what types of projects you will be working on and secondly, you put yourself ahead of the curve when seeking a promotion or a raise. You're likely to need 1-2 recommendations down the line, and those will be easier to obtain if you have a strong relationship and an extensive work history with your superiors.

You should also be thinking about your extra-cirricular profile and how you are going to make an impact in your community. I would seek a volunteer opportunity with something you are passionate about, or become involved in a program at work. Also, don't forget to continue pursuing your passions outside of work, as schools want to see folks who are able to balance work with outside interests.

For now, I wouldn't worry about the GMAT. You've got a 740 and another few years until you may need to retake. Enjoy your first post-college experience and try not to put too much pressure on yourself!

Regards,
GMAT Club Bot