It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 19:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for ISB class of 2018

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 14

GPA: 3.71
WE: Consulting (Retail Banking)
Profile Evaluation for ISB class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2016, 01:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am an ISB 2017-2018 aspirant, please access my profile.

Academics:

1. Class X(2007):90% CBSE District topper

2. Class XII:(2009) 94.4% CBSE Kota City topper in science stream;Got scholarship from school for the same. 100% in mathematics.

3. Graduation(2013): B. Tech, Indian School of mines/IIT Dhanbad:8.35 GPA

4. Merit cum means scholarship receiver for 7 semesters at college

Work Ex; 3 years at the time of application

1. Associate consultant at Oracle Financial services(Sep 2013-Present): Working on Flexcube Private wealth management product used in banks. Work is mostly technical with customisation development and product implementation. No awards or promotions but always highly rated in appraisals. Have good idea about business data intelligence tolls like OBIEE and BI Publisher.

2. Assistant venue IT Manager at London Olympics 2012 for Atos: This was a 2.5 months internship at London. I was a coordinator of 3 teams of technicians each with 2 members. Basic work was venue IT infrastructure setup and support. Don't know how much it counts as it was basically an internship during college.

3. Other training at Bhartiya Airtel, pure technical

Extra-Curricular:

1. College football team player and won two tournaments in college.

2. Layout Design team member of Mailer Daemon(Student run newsletter) for three years in college

3. Organised lectures and led undergraduate assistants in conducting lab tutorials in coral draw for 100 undergraduates to select them for Mailer Daemon team.

4. Science exhibition winner at school both at school and district level, also participated at state level.

5. Honoured as 'Rajya Bal Vigyani' awarded by National Children's Science Congress, Uttar Pradesh, INDIA in 2004

6. Recent volunteer at CRY(Child Rights and You)

7. College FIFA 2010 runner up.

8. Regular FIFA online division 1 player

Please tell me how could I Improve my profile. I am looking to do MBA in Operations so I am looking to do some online introductory certification in that from Coursera or edx.

Also trying to get some NGO experience both for profile as well as for moral boost. Will that be a disadvantage as I have read that the ADCOM might think I did this for application only though that is correct marginally.

What kind of GMAT score should I target? Haven't given it yet and planning to give in Mid July.

With a CAT percentile of 99.47 I have covert from IIM K, dumped by B and L, weighing up my chances next year in ISB and IIMs as well.

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 14

Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 532 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: Profile Evaluation for ISB class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2016, 19:23
Hi :)

Impressive profile there! You tick many of the checkboxes that ISB looks for. Let us go through your profile in some detail. ISB ( and most premier B-schools) look for a combination of the below traits -

1. Academic potential - There are two components to this, your GMAT score and your academic record so far. Your academic record is excellent! Get a GMAT score of 720+ and you'll set yourself up at a definite advantage. Mind you, there are people with scores in the range 650-700 who get through..in fact, there are even a rare few with sub-650 scores. However, the higher the score you get, the less likely you are to be beaten by competing candidates with very similar profiles.

2. Leadership potential - With the information you have provided, we do not see any obvious instances of leadership ( except the London Olympics example and possibly point 3 in extracurriculars). If these are good, meaty stories, you should definitely try and work them into your essays. Can you get any assignment at work in the next few months where you can display leadership? If you'd like a few ideas to jog your mind, read our article on 40 ways to improve your profile - http://applications.crackverbal.com/40- ... l-profile/

3. Diversity - Though there will be a lot of candidates from an IT background, we think you ought to be able to differential yourself with the other aspects of your profile, i.e, your extracurriculars. It is pretty clear that you are not a one-trick pony :) With a multi-faceted profile like yours, all you need to ensure is that these aspects are clearly articulated in your application.

Specific questions you have asked -

1. GMAT score - Like we said, try for a 720+,to max your chances.
2. NGO experience - Do not worry about this being a disadvantage. If you have started only recently, it will not be a huge advantage. And it is not likely to differentiate you, since a lot of candidates have this on their profile. But it won't hurt your chances. We'd say, continue doing it, because volunteerism always looks good on your resume ( whether for B-school or otherwise), because it also feels good, and because you never know what good may come out of it - you may get valuable experience in running projects and leading people in the NGO sector, much sooner than you would at work.
3. Improving your profile - Your EC and acads are already very good, and the leadership aspect could be improved upon by picking more high-impact projects. One more thing that is very important - OWN your future goals. By this, we mean, make sure you do a lot of research about the post-MBA goal you have chosen, so that you have complete clarity about what to expect.

Overall, in our opinion, your chances of cracking an admit are pretty good! All the best :)

If you'd like help framing your application, we'd be glad to help. We have helped hundreds of ISB applicants in the past few years, and know very well what it takes to get to ISB. Just email us at enquiry@crackverbal.com.

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

Learn all PS and DS strategies here-
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/p/mastering-quant-on-gmat

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 532 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 01:22
Hi ,

Below is my profile ,please tell me the approx score I should have to get into ISB,Hyd (No other college will be opted for)

a) Class X - 92.2%

b) Class XII - 80.2%

c) Graduation - B. Tech (class of 2012) - Jadavpur University - Production and Industrial Engineering

d) Work Experience (4 .5 yrs as of Jan 2017)

Schneider Electric India Pvt Ltd - Supply Chain Operations (Purchasing) - Localization projects - Jul'2012- Aug 2015

Material purchasing /PO generation/Plant material handling /cost optimization for projects Localized in Nashik and Hyd Plant for Schneider Electric

Cypress Semiconductors India Pvt Ltd

a) 2013 Aug - 2015 Dec

Supply chain Operations - Planning.

Back end manufacturing flow control , Logistics, Warehouse management , Shipment , Capacity planning , Resource allocation for different manufacturing sites

b) 2015 Dec - Present

Revenue Forecasting :

Forecasting of 5 yr revenue plan, New product plans, Funnel management

Special Achievements : Best Employee of the year 2014.

Extra Curriculars :

a) Graduation in Indian Classical Vocal
b) Public speaking

Please tell me how much I must score to get an interview call or a convert from ISB hyd.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation for ISB class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 00:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile.

Balaji A, 25 years, Indian Male

GMAT: Yet to take, aiming for 740+

Education

Bachelor of Technology (Civil) – National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli – 7.43 (2008 - 2012)
Class XII - 88% CBSE (2008)
Class X - 89.45% (Matric.) (2006)

Work Experience

3 years 7 months at the time of application

Business Head – Zepo Couriers 1 month (May 2016 – Present) [Start-up]
Business Development Officer – Zepo - 1 year 3 months (Feb 2015 – April 2016) [Start-up]
Senior Engineer (Execution) – Larsen & Toubro – 11 months (July 2013 – May 2014)
Graduate Engineer Trainee – Larsen & Toubro – 1 year (July 2012 – June 2013)

Cons: I had a brief 8-month gap in my employment after L&T. I took a break working with Make a Difference and practicing Contemporary Dance. I used this time to figure out what I really wanted to do and chose to go with the start-up for the profile I wished for.

Other than this I have done research projects with IIT- Madras & BPCL during my college time.

Volunteer Activities

Make A Difference – Fundraising Intern – 10 months (August 2014 – May 2015)

MAD empowers children living in orphanages and street shelters to discover their true strengths and unleash their full potential.

As a fundraising intern, my responsibilities included the following:

- Part of Bengaluru's Fundraising team, creating sustainable fundraising products with increasing revenue; Products include a rock concert, city’s largest corporate football tournament, a golf tournament.
- As Project Champion, led the Bengaluru chapter of ‘MAD-O-Mania’ (with a team of 35 volunteers), a school-based talent search event and effected a net fundraising of 3 lakhs INR through the event.
- As a team, brought in a net revenue of approx. 20 lakhs INR in 9 months.

Guardians of Dreams – Fundraising Intern – 9 months (September 2015 – Present)

Guardians of Dreams is a social start-up focused on a research based approach to ensure equal life outcomes for children living in orphanages and street shelters.

Our organization got selected for the Bootcamp at ISB’s Social Venture Competition 2015.
http://www.isb.edu/idiya

As a fundraising intern, my responsibilities included the following:

- Trained and set up the Sponsorship team for the Bengaluru Chapter.
- Recruited volunteers for the Bangalore Chapter.
- Worked on securing In-kind sponsorship for Shelter renovation project in Bangalore & Kochi.

Extra-curricular Activities

Leadership

Organizing Head (Core Member) - Festember 2011 - National level Cultural Festival, NIT-Trichy
• led a committee of 120 members and charted their respective duties
• efficiently handled Rs. 10 lakhs to execute the 50+ events with a footfall of 10,000+ participants.

Organizing Head - Moments 2012 -National level Symposium Civil Engg. Dept., NIT-Trichy
• led a committee of 50 members
• efficiently handled Rs. 2 lakhs to execute the events and workshops.

Teamwork

• Coordinator, Organizing Comm. Festember 2009
• Coordinator, Workshop Comm. Moments 2010
• Dy. Manager, Organizing Comm. Festember 2010
• Member - Apekshaa, Social service Organization by students of NIT-Trichy.

Honors & Awards

• Central Sector Scholarship by MHRD, Govt. of India based on merit of excellence in AISSCE.
• Diploma in Karate - Black Belt - 1st Dan - International Shotokan Karate Federation of India.
• Team Kata Championship - 1st Place at 2nd All India Open Sports Karate Championship.
• Performed Contemporary dance at Inspirit ’15, an annual dance show conducted by Nivesaa.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 07:54
10th : 85
12th : 93.2
B.tech (Mechanical ) : 64.6
Work : Design Engineer : 42 months in a German firm (Loesche) . I work as a design engineer in Loesche , we actually design cement Mills , we are doing it across the world , and I now I am presently doing it for a firm based in Nigeria . it's actually 3D design . Have also worked in Dusseldorf Germany
Extra Curriculars:
Prefect in class 10th
prefect in class 12th
School football team
Topper in class 11th and 12th in various subjects .
1st in Paper Presentation in college
Represented college in Paper Presentation
College team football captain .
Have won 4 football tournaments .
Organised the first futsal tournament in college .
Presently coach at the school of soccer , Delhi during weekends .
Taught students of an NGO for 3 months .
Mock GMAT : 680 ( from mba.com) . Planing to give my gmat , july end

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
G
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3526 [0], given: 2393

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2016, 06:50

Kudos [?]: 3526 [0], given: 2393

Re: Profile Evaluation for ISB class of 2018   [#permalink] 14 May 2016, 06:50