It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 10:50

TODAY:

MIT Sloan Releasing 1st Wave of Interview Invites - Join GMATClub CHAT for Live Updates


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation for ISB, INSEAD, HEC, IE

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 May 2016
Posts: 10
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Profile evaluation for ISB, INSEAD, HEC, IE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 23:37
Hey,

I'm Harsh. I'm planning to apply to the following school (class of 2019) for a 1-year MBA:

1) ISB Hyderabad
2) INSEAD Paris (Spring batch)
3) HEC Paris (Spring batch)
4) IE Madrid (Spring)

Here's a snapshot of my profile:

GMAT: 720 (QA - 48, VA - 40)

Work Experience
- I'm currently working as a Product Manager in a leading software product Indian MNC, mostly having business in the US
- I'll be completing 3 years of full-time work experience in July this year
- I founded and ran my own tech startup, in consumer internet, for a year, where I was the head and leading a team of 6-7 people
- Since then I've progressed well in my career, currently in a role which is traditionally reserved for MBAs from top bschools. I regularly work with other product managers who mostly from ISB and the top IIMs.
- Before this role, I was working in a cross-functional leadership role with a big digital media company where I was working directly with the CEO on a strategic level.
- As product manager, I've worked on shipping multiple products (both from a strategic and functional aspect) and have continuously led teams of small and big sizes
- Have extensive experience in working with leadership teams in marketing, sales, operations etc due as part of being a full-stack product manager

Extra-curricular
- I've worked with one of India's leading volunteer-driven NGOs for two consecutive years, where I was recognised as one of the best volunteers for a year and then helped created substantial impact by piloting a new project in my city chapter.
- I'm currently taking French classes
- I'm also a regular at Toastmasters International
- In college, I was the founding member and head editor of the official student/staff newsletter
- I've been a regular quizzer, Rubik's speed-cuber during school/college life

Academic
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from a state university
- Avg grades in undergrad
- Academic gold medalist in school

Post-MBA goals:
- Want to make a move to strategic management - either in strategy consulting at one of the top firms or a business leadership role at large tech organisations
- Would also consider a role in venture capital given my overall business, product management and entrepreneurial experience
- An MBA would help me gain an overall perspective to strategic management, finance, organisational structures etc and diverse peer groups will help me understand multiple sectors, industries and functions closely.


Would really appreciate a profile review and feedback for my chances at my choice of bschools.

TIA!
Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Posts: 327
Re: Profile evaluation for ISB, INSEAD, HEC, IE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 04:51
harshgupta16 wrote:
Hey,

I'm Harsh. I'm planning to apply to the following school (class of 2019) for a 1-year MBA:

1) ISB Hyderabad
2) INSEAD Paris (Spring batch)
3) HEC Paris (Spring batch)
4) IE Madrid (Spring)

Here's a snapshot of my profile:

GMAT: 720 (QA - 48, VA - 40)

Work Experience
- I'm currently working as a Product Manager in a leading software product Indian MNC, mostly having business in the US
- I'll be completing 3 years of full-time work experience in July this year
- I founded and ran my own tech startup, in consumer internet, for a year, where I was the head and leading a team of 6-7 people
- Since then I've progressed well in my career, currently in a role which is traditionally reserved for MBAs from top bschools. I regularly work with other product managers who mostly from ISB and the top IIMs.
- Before this role, I was working in a cross-functional leadership role with a big digital media company where I was working directly with the CEO on a strategic level.
- As product manager, I've worked on shipping multiple products (both from a strategic and functional aspect) and have continuously led teams of small and big sizes
- Have extensive experience in working with leadership teams in marketing, sales, operations etc due as part of being a full-stack product manager

Extra-curricular
- I've worked with one of India's leading volunteer-driven NGOs for two consecutive years, where I was recognised as one of the best volunteers for a year and then helped created substantial impact by piloting a new project in my city chapter.
- I'm currently taking French classes
- I'm also a regular at Toastmasters International
- In college, I was the founding member and head editor of the official student/staff newsletter
- I've been a regular quizzer, Rubik's speed-cuber during school/college life

Academic
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from a state university
- Avg grades in undergrad
- Academic gold medalist in school

Post-MBA goals:
- Want to make a move to strategic management - either in strategy consulting at one of the top firms or a business leadership role at large tech organisations
- Would also consider a role in venture capital given my overall business, product management and entrepreneurial experience
- An MBA would help me gain an overall perspective to strategic management, finance, organisational structures etc and diverse peer groups will help me understand multiple sectors, industries and functions closely.


Would really appreciate a profile review and feedback for my chances at my choice of bschools.

TIA!


Hi Harsh,

We think you have a great profile! An entrepreneurial stint and a product management role definitely add value to your profile. A score of 720 is also quite competitive for your target schools. We think that the choice of schools is apt too. What would be critical to your application from hereon, would be the ability to demonstrate clarity of goals in your essays.

Since you are already in a role coveted by MBA graduates, the question may also arise: do you need an MBA? We recommend that you take some time out to talk to current students and alumni of these schools, and map a more definitive career path for yourself. Each B-school has its strengths and we also recommend that you attend roadshows and ad-com sessions to find out how can you showcase your profile to each of these schools.

Lastly, begin early on your applications so that you can showcase your leadership potential to the best.

Feel free to reach out in case of queries.
_________________

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy
-----------------------------------------------
Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP
Phone: +91 9871354580
Email: info@apphelp.co.in
Website: http://www.apphelp.co.in
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 May 2016
Posts: 10
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Re: Profile evaluation for ISB, INSEAD, HEC, IE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 11:35
Quote:
Hi Harsh,

We think you have a great profile! An entrepreneurial stint and a product management role definitely add value to your profile. A score of 720 is also quite competitive for your target schools. We think that the choice of schools is apt too. What would be critical to your application from hereon, would be the ability to demonstrate clarity of goals in your essays.

Since you are already in a role coveted by MBA graduates, the question may also arise: do you need an MBA? We recommend that you take some time out to talk to current students and alumni of these schools, and map a more definitive career path for yourself. Each B-school has its strengths and we also recommend that you attend roadshows and ad-com sessions to find out how can you showcase your profile to each of these schools.


To answer this briefly:
- I want to move into strategic management through strategic consulting. Product management is more functional rather than strategic, especially at an early stage of one's career, and more so in large organisations building complex products
- Also, with product management, one is limited in one's knowledge of sectors, industries, as you're only exposed to the limited boundaries in which your company/product is operation. Going into consulting gives you tremendous exposure with every new project - new industry, new sector, markets, and functions. You get to define large-scale strategies, improvements in big organisations, working with senior leadership teams, which in turn helps you understand overall business functioning better.
- My background in product management and startups has helped me build skill-sets in market research, competitive analysis, new product development, marketing strategy etc, hiring, culture etc, which'll in turn help me make a, hopefully, successful move to consulting.
- An MBA will help me, firstly thru academics, gather holistic knowledge of business management - strategy, finance, organisation structures, marketing etc. Secondly, with the diverse group of people from different cultures, academic and professional backgrounds that attend schools will be the perfect peer group to learn various aspects of managing businesses. Thirdly, the way MBA courses are structures - case studies, consulting/marketing/finance etc clubs, business events - will help me polish my communication, networking, and leadership skills. Lastly, the network one builds during the course, and with the alumni, will be of tremendous value all my professional life, no matter what I decide to pursue in my career ahead.

Quote:

Lastly, begin early on your applications so that you can showcase your leadership potential to the best.

Feel free to reach out in case of queries.


- I didn't get this part. Did you mean that starting applications early will help me prepare better essays which show my leadership potential to the fullest?
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1312
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Profile evaluation for ISB, INSEAD, HEC, IE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 09:30
harshgupta16 wrote:
Hey,

I'm Harsh. I'm planning to apply to the following school (class of 2019) for a 1-year MBA:

1) ISB Hyderabad
2) INSEAD Paris (Spring batch)
3) HEC Paris (Spring batch)
4) IE Madrid (Spring)

Here's a snapshot of my profile:

GMAT: 720 (QA - 48, VA - 40)

Work Experience
- I'm currently working as a Product Manager in a leading software product Indian MNC, mostly having business in the US
- I'll be completing 3 years of full-time work experience in July this year
- I founded and ran my own tech startup, in consumer internet, for a year, where I was the head and leading a team of 6-7 people
- Since then I've progressed well in my career, currently in a role which is traditionally reserved for MBAs from top bschools. I regularly work with other product managers who mostly from ISB and the top IIMs.
- Before this role, I was working in a cross-functional leadership role with a big digital media company where I was working directly with the CEO on a strategic level.
- As product manager, I've worked on shipping multiple products (both from a strategic and functional aspect) and have continuously led teams of small and big sizes
- Have extensive experience in working with leadership teams in marketing, sales, operations etc due as part of being a full-stack product manager

Extra-curricular
- I've worked with one of India's leading volunteer-driven NGOs for two consecutive years, where I was recognised as one of the best volunteers for a year and then helped created substantial impact by piloting a new project in my city chapter.
- I'm currently taking French classes
- I'm also a regular at Toastmasters International
- In college, I was the founding member and head editor of the official student/staff newsletter
- I've been a regular quizzer, Rubik's speed-cuber during school/college life

Academic
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from a state university
- Avg grades in undergrad
- Academic gold medalist in school

Post-MBA goals:
- Want to make a move to strategic management - either in strategy consulting at one of the top firms or a business leadership role at large tech organisations
- Would also consider a role in venture capital given my overall business, product management and entrepreneurial experience
- An MBA would help me gain an overall perspective to strategic management, finance, organisational structures etc and diverse peer groups will help me understand multiple sectors, industries and functions closely.


Would really appreciate a profile review and feedback for my chances at my choice of bschools.

TIA!


Thank you for posting your profile details. Overall this is a pretty strong profile for these schools! I am really interested in learning more about your startup. What kind of business?

While things look good, the quant is a bit low for your competitive set. It will all come down to how well you execute on your story. Have you started drafting materials or would you like help putting everything together?

Feel free to reach out and learn more about how we can help.

https://www.personalmbacoach.com/contact

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 May 2016
Posts: 10
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Re: Profile evaluation for ISB, INSEAD, HEC, IE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 01:02
PersonalMBACoach wrote:

Thank you for posting your profile details. Overall this is a pretty strong profile for these schools! I am really interested in learning more about your startup. What kind of business?

While things look good, the quant is a bit low for your competitive set. It will all come down to how well you execute on your story. Have you started drafting materials or would you like help putting everything together?

Feel free to reach out and learn more about how we can help.

Best,
Scott


Thanks for the review Scott!
Here's a brief snapshot of my startup:

1) It was a consumer internet venture, think of it like a Craigslist but for college students only. Overall, we were trying to bridge the communication and networking gap in college communities, one of its manifestation was the need for a marketplace which connects students for their day-to-day needs of books etc and other academic and non-academic stuff (notes, electronics, carpooling, apartments etc)
2) I built the team and product from scratch, hiring interns/full-time employees
3) I supervised almost every function - product, engineering, marketing, finance etc
4) We're in the market to raise venture capital - investors were pretty interested in our idea, and we were extremely close to raising our seed round, until things collapsed at the eleventh hour - that is when we had to shut it down
5) We grew the product from zero to 10k registered users, 40k monthly visits, GMV of $20k uploaded on our website, with 10+ weekly transactions, average order size of $10 (ignore the dollar-rupee parlance, its just to give you info, our metrics were pretty decent from a India/rupee standpoint). All this we did with less an budget of less than $1000. And we never spent a dime on marketing, it was all hustling, and guerrilla marketing techniques.
5) Ignoring the end-result, this was a tremendous 13 months for me, I learned and did things out of my skin - coding, product management, marketing, hiring, motivating people to believe in our vision and to work for free, pitching at accelerators, to seasoned investors.
6) These 13 months changed my life - and when I look back, the thing that I enjoyed the most? Learning new things, seeing them getting applied, looking at the results, iterating, improving and hustling all the time.

My startup experience influenced me to seek a career in product management, probably the closest role to being a CEO. Its a role which involves immense leadership skills, people management, influence without authority, and cross-functional business/technical knowledge.
The bottomline for my career choices has always been to learn new sectors/industries/functions, think out of the box, apply analytical solutions to complex problems, and keep challenging yourself to move out of your comfort zone.

And this is what leads me to make a move to strategy consulting as well, for which I consider an MBA an important stepping stone.
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1312
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Profile evaluation for ISB, INSEAD, HEC, IE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 12:50
Thanks for the follow-up. You have a great background and if crafted well, it should lead to strong applications. Best of luck and reach out if you want to discuss further.

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 327
Schools: Wharton
Re: Profile evaluation for ISB, INSEAD, HEC, IE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 21:03
Hi Harsh,

Your experience as a product manager and as an entrepreneur (even though the scale was small, lessons learnt still count) gives you a cross-functional and leadership experience. You can explain your post-MBA career goals both ways (strategy consulting or PM etc. in a technology company). However, reason for strategy consulting can sometime sound superficial, which one needs to guard against. Also, you may look at your target schools from the perspective of having enough tech recruiters. This could be a good plan B in case you change plans, which isn’t uncommon. (I assume you were a technical PM, which could just give you some leeway here.)

Second, your college-time ECs don’t matter much if you aren’t continuing with them. And one with deep interest and impact is better than superficial dozens.
_________________

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Re: Profile evaluation for ISB, INSEAD, HEC, IE   [#permalink] 18 May 2017, 21:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile evaluation for ISB, INSEAD, HEC, IE

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.