GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2018, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation for MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile evaluation for MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 03:37
Hello, I would appreciate if I could get answers to the questions regarding my profile below:

Questions:

1- Given my profile, what would be my prospects in the outlined schools?
2- Given my orientation towards tech & e-Commerce, would it help to prioritize US schools over Europe’s (or vice-versa)

Nationality:
Pakistani

GRE Score:
332. 168 Math (96 percentile), 164 Verbal (93 percentile)

Education:
Undergrad: Bachelors in Accounting & Finance from Lahore University of Mgmt Sciences (LUMS), where I graduated in the top 2% of my class with a CGPA of 3.9.
This includes spending six months in an exchange program at Waseda University, Tokyo - an opportunity awarded to only 2 Pakistani students each year.
Extracurriculars include experience as a Co-Convener of a journalism event where I led a team of 60 and organized an event for 100+ delegates from all over Pakistan.

Professional Experience (3 years):
In the past year, I have been working as a Pricing & Monetization Strategy Analyst in Dubai’s leading online marketplace, owned by Naspers - a $114 Bn. tech conglomerate. This role involves managing pricing projects from start to end, communicating with management-level stakeholders on the pricing opportunities & pain-points and analyzing transaction & customer data to identify trends and inform hypothesis.

In the previous two years, worked as a Tech & Business Resilience Consultant at a Big 4 firm in the UAE. The key highlight here was a Change Management project, where I led 7 Firm resources in managing and training 100+ client employees across 3 departments and designed communications to drive implementation of Microsoft Dynamics AX at a global education organization.

It was here that I also showed community involvement by conceiving a training program for office help staff to improve their communication and technical skills and enabled roll-out of program to other Firm offices in the Middle East region.

MBA Objective:
Continue my journey in the tech industry. Gain experience in the Silicon Valley - possibly at a start-up - to then be able to contribute to Pakistan’s thriving e-Commerce startup culture.

Schools:
Preference: HBS, Stanford, LBS
Backup: Berkeley Haas, Chicago Booth, Kellogg, Tuck
Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile evaluation for MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 20:42
You've got some interesting experience & you're coming from a unique demographic. B-schools get LOADS of Indian male applicants but not that many Pakistani ones. Your undergrad & GRE are solid, and the fact that you've worked in Dubai & in a pricing role is unique as well. The adcom is going to want to see the impact you've had at work. Do you have any results you can show for the pricing role? Have you saved the company money or generated revenue? You get the idea.

One place where you are going to want to do some work is your goals. You may have more specifics in mind that you just didn't share here, but the adcom is going to want to know exactly what you hope to accomplish in the ST & in the LT. If you join a start up in Silicon Valley post-MBA what type of start up do you plan to target & why? What title would you be seeking & why? And in the LT, how do you hope to contribute to Pakistan's start up culture? In a VC role? By starting your own co? If so, why type & why & what unmet need would you be solving? And why is whatever you plan to do your passion?

At the end of the day, your whole argument for why you need an MBA & why you want to go to xyz school rests on your goals, so those are going to be critical to determining whether or not you have a shot at a particular school.

All of that said, without more info, it's hard to say for sure which schools you have a shot at but I think you do have the makings of a strong application assuming you can show impact at work & assuming some strong clear goals. Assuming those things you have a shot at top 15 for sure. The specifics of your goals will also determine which schools are the best fit (i.e. Booth is known more for finance whereas Kellogg is known more for marketing etc).

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Profile evaluation for MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap