GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 12:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation - Guidance for International Applicant

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation - Guidance for International Applicant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 14:17
Hi there,

I would like to request please a profile evaluation. It would be very helpful if you can provide some guidance on chances and suggested universities within the top 10 US ranked group.

Program: MBA(FT) - Top 10 US business schools (for admission in 2020 R1/R2)
Area of interest in MBA: Management, Consulting, Marketing
GMAT: Due to take it very soon but for the moment assume range 710/730
GPA: 3.7 GPA at University College London (Law degree -top 5 Russell Group law school), 3.8 GPA at a professional university in London which provides a masters you need to complete to become a lawyer combined with an MSc in Law, Business and Management
Work experience(WE): 4 years in the legal industry in a top 50 London law firm and a top 5 firm, qualified corporate and commercial lawyer with experience in 4 other areas of law. Further shorter work experience with EY and other internships.
Nationality: Eastern European
Extra-curricular/community: (1) Published author of an international book, (2) author of legal and commercial articles in legal journals, (3) 3 year volunteering experience with schools in underprivileged areas (one to one mentoring and running entire classes) and volunteering at a hospital, (4) leadership award from university, (5) knowledge of 6 languages.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: CBS '21, Yale '21, INSEAD
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Re: Profile Evaluation - Guidance for International Applicant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 10:09
RedB19 wrote:
Hi there,

I would like to request please a profile evaluation. It would be very helpful if you can provide some guidance on chances and suggested universities within the top 10 US ranked group.

GPA: 3.7 GPA at University College London (Law degree -top 5 Russell Group law school), 3.8 GPA at a professional university in London which provides a masters you need to complete to become a lawyer combined with an MSc in Law, Business and Management
Work experience(WE): 4 years in the legal industry in a top 50 London law firm and a top 5 firm, qualified corporate and commercial lawyer with experience in 4 other areas of law. Further shorter work experience with EY and other internships.
Extra-curricular/community: (1) Published author of an international book, (2) author of legal and commercial articles in legal journals, (3) 3 year volunteering experience with schools in underprivileged areas (one to one mentoring and running entire classes) and volunteering at a hospital, (4) leadership award from university, (5) knowledge of 6 languages.

Hey Buddy, my suggestion would be to take it one step at a time.

The first aim for a good GMAT score, then give the GMAT and then lets work on your profile. You will have enough time for profile evaluation once your GMAT is done. Its always better to have all your focus on getting a great GMAT score as of now.

Being a bit blunt here but hoping to be helpful in the long term.

All the best and keep us posted.
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 09:39
Although I have no relationship with this poster - eabhgoy - let me add to his post in a subsequent post. ;)

eabhgoy wrote:
RedB19 wrote:
Hi there,

Hey Buddy, my suggestion would be to take it one step at a time.

The first aim for a good GMAT score, then give the GMAT and then lets work on your profile. You will have enough time for profile evaluation once your GMAT is done. Its always better to have all your focus on getting a great GMAT score as of now.

Being a bit blunt here but hoping to be helpful in the long term.

All the best and keep us posted.

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton
MBA Admissions Consultant
B
Profile Evaluation - Guidance for International Applicant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 09:59
Hey RedB19:

I worked with plenty of lawyers applying to MBA programs in the past. Although every lawyer is different, every client that I've worked with who was a lawyer has really told me some rather interesting things about law school and being a lawyer. Of course there is a selection bias so maybe I only hear the bad things. But I believe I may understand where you're coming from and I can certainly share some advice based upon what I've seen with other attorneys and solicitors.

For starters, you don't have to take the GMAT. You can take the GRE and it will be considered seriously by the admissions committee. In other words, they will think you're copping out or taking a shortcut by taking the GRE. Perhaps you've never viewed the GRE in this light and the statements I just made may be a surprise, but regardless, consider taking the GRE. Why? Because the GRE (as a valuate of tool used by MBA admissions committees) was intended to widen the pool of applicants to include those from more nontraditional backgrounds … Like lawyers/attorneys/solicitors. In other words, applicants like you! That's exciting. ;)

The other reason I recommend taking the GRE is because of your background. You spent a lot of time reading books – legal books – and probably lesser time crunching math equations. If you're a bit rusty when it comes to quanta concepts or plain old math, that's just another reason to take the GRE. Every single one of my clients who have struggled with the GMAT - from across all backgrounds - have universally reported that the quad section on the GRE is easier. Without exception all of them have performed better overall on the GRE. So if you find yourself in a similar situation, take the GRE. There is enough overlap between the concepts on the GMAT and GRE so you won't be starting all over again with a completely brand-new test-taking (and studying) experience.

Overwhelmingly, besides your quant score on the GMAT or GRE will be the reasons why a lawyer now wants to go to business school. I'll tell you right now what works based on my experience which extends over 13 years of doing this. In a nutshell, you have to tell them that being a lawyer is a bit silo-ed. It's a bit myopic. Because of the nature of the law you practice – let's say corporate law – you have gained a bit of exposure to all aspects of certain industries and companies. You're not claiming to be an expert of course. But catching a glimpse into the decisions leaders and managers at these companies make has excited you. It has opened your eyes to what you could possibly engage in as a business decision-maker beyond the limiting nature of your legal realm. Another aspect that would support your reasons for going to business school is the following – you often deal with situations after they have come to a head or after things have not gone is desired. When you trace the root causes of these lawsuits or legal issues, they run all the way back to suspect decision-making by those on the business side. You not pointing fingers of course, but what you are saying is that instead of being on the backend of the centipede, you want to be on the front end. You want to be in a position to make decisions as a business leader who understands how they will flow through the system; as a manager who understands the ramifications of her decision-making. That's credible because of the work you do now is a lawyer. Of course you still require business training and leadership acumen to ultimately have the type of large-scale impact you seek … So that's why you need an MBA.

Disclaimer – I'm not saying this is what you absolutely have to say. I'm not saying it's completely appropriate, because I don't know the nuances of your particular situation beyond the limited information you provided me. What I am saying is that based on my experience working with lawyers looking to make the jump into the business from – this is the type of "theme-ing" i have personally seen work.

Being Eastern European does provide you a slight advantage. They don't get as many applicants from your neck of the woods. There won't be as high of an emphasis or premium placed on your GMAT score. Of course, you won't be able to get away with a 650 GMAT if you want to go to a top 10 school. But if you hit in the low 700's, you're going to be just fine. But of course, you can avoid a lot of this test taking anxiety and pressure by taking the GRE. I can explain a bit more about my thoughts on how the GRE is a bit of a "get out of jail free card" for you and the admissions committee. Basically, GRE scores are not used by most business magazines to rank MBA programs. Therefore, if you have a lower "equivalent GRE score", it won't affect the schools ranking so the admissions committee will be much more willing to accept that score knowing the schools perception or reputation won't take a hit because of it. That's my conspiracy theory, anyway.

With respect to having a Masters in Law, Business and Management, I wouldn't worry that the admissions committee already thinks you have the requisite business education. Perhaps you can address this and the optional essay, but it's really not that big of a deal. You just need to frame it from the following perspective – my Masters degree does contain some business management education aspects, but it's a bit of an appetizer. Now I want the full course – which is the MBA.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

RedB19 wrote:
Hi there,

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 15:21
Thank you very much for your review, it was very helpful and along the lines of my thinking.

Profile Evaluation - Guidance for International Applicant

new topic post reply Update application status