It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 07:50

Interview Invites:

MIT Sloan Chat  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  |  Duke Fuqua Chat (EA Decisions)  |  Live Chat with Cornell Adcoms Starting Soon in Main Chat Room

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS '20 (II)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 15:41
High Level:
29 years old, Indian male, Canadian Citizen
Education: Elite Canadian University (Top Engineering School in the country), Major in Biomedical Engineering for my undergraduate and graduate (masters) degree

Stats:
uGPA: 3.12
gGPA: 4.00
GMAT: 710 (38V, 48Q), 6.0 AWA, 4 IR

Work Experience:
4.5 years of work experience in surgical robotics - currently at Intuitive Surgical (the top surgical robotics company in the world, located in silicon valley), doing upstream marketing, clinical and engineering work. I also developed a company wide product-management education curriculum aimed at medical device professionals, designed for those entering product marketing within the organization. I currently pioneer machine learning/AI product features through a product roadmap for the DaVinci robot.

Worked at small and mid size surgical robotics companies prior to this job in silicon valley and Minneapolis, and launched several successful FDA-approved surgical robots through these experiences.

Post-MBA goal:
To transition into product management (already on this track and will become one by the end of this year) and get into product strategy and eventually head towards the executive track/CEO path.

Extra curriculars:
Passionate about social responsibility and education. Lead my own surgical robotics education non profit, the Medical Device Hatchery, to teach high school and undergrad students concepts in medicine and engineering, prototype Lego and non Lego based surgical robots, and create a learning pipeline for students to feed into the industry through internships.

Partnered with Stanford this summer to co-launch an open-ended surgical robotics design challenge through their BioEngineering camp, and setup guest lectures and site tours at Intuitive Surgical. Worked with Stanford students to secure a $6500 grant to scale initiatives at Stanford for the following year.

Outreach programs in India, partnering with local med tech incubators to scale industry and education opportunities for students in 33 engineering schools pursuing surgical robotics research and development.

I did OK on my GMATs and have a weak undergrad GPA (been 7 years out of undergrad!), but I feel I have solid work experience, and a good grad GPA. What are my chances at H/S/W, and Booth and Kellogg?

Thanks,
Santosh

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 18:03
Thanks for sharing your profile. You have really great work experience which is unique and will stand out. Also, you have great ECs which again should help you stand out. Your GMAT is not quite up to par for the schools you are targeting as most of the are about a 730 avg these days. Your GPA will be considered a red flag for you, so you will be under on two key data points in the admissions process which will be tough to overcome. I would open up your options for schools here given the data points but I don't think you have to abandon your goals at the schools listed above, just want you to target a more balanced list of schools.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 21:45
Your focused (even your extra-curricular activities are influenced by your work) career path is a positive. That shows interest and passion for what you’re doing. Your not-so-common industry, AI, and partnering with Stanford too are pluses.

On academic stats, the best way to mitigate a low GPA is to score high on GMAT. (Well, one mitigating factor in your case is your grad GPA, but nothing better than a high score on GMAT.) But if you can’t retake the test or improve the score, I think you can still have a shot at your target schools.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 12:31
santosh.iy@gmail.com wrote:
High Level:
29 years old, Indian male, Canadian Citizen
Education: Elite Canadian University (Top Engineering School in the country), Major in Biomedical Engineering for my undergraduate and graduate (masters) degree

Stats:
uGPA: 3.12
gGPA: 4.00
GMAT: 710 (38V, 48Q), 6.0 AWA, 4 IR

Work Experience:
4.5 years of work experience in surgical robotics - currently at Intuitive Surgical (the top surgical robotics company in the world, located in silicon valley), doing upstream marketing, clinical and engineering work. I also developed a company wide product-management education curriculum aimed at medical device professionals, designed for those entering product marketing within the organization. I currently pioneer machine learning/AI product features through a product roadmap for the DaVinci robot.

Worked at small and mid size surgical robotics companies prior to this job in silicon valley and Minneapolis, and launched several successful FDA-approved surgical robots through these experiences.

Post-MBA goal:
To transition into product management (already on this track and will become one by the end of this year) and get into product strategy and eventually head towards the executive track/CEO path.

Extra curriculars:
Passionate about social responsibility and education. Lead my own surgical robotics education non profit, the Medical Device Hatchery, to teach high school and undergrad students concepts in medicine and engineering, prototype Lego and non Lego based surgical robots, and create a learning pipeline for students to feed into the industry through internships.

Partnered with Stanford this summer to co-launch an open-ended surgical robotics design challenge through their BioEngineering camp, and setup guest lectures and site tours at Intuitive Surgical. Worked with Stanford students to secure a $6500 grant to scale initiatives at Stanford for the following year.

Outreach programs in India, partnering with local med tech incubators to scale industry and education opportunities for students in 33 engineering schools pursuing surgical robotics research and development.

I did OK on my GMATs and have a weak undergrad GPA (been 7 years out of undergrad!), but I feel I have solid work experience, and a good grad GPA. What are my chances at H/S/W, and Booth and Kellogg?

Thanks,
Santosh

As already mentioned you have a lot of good stuff going on in your profile but your current GMAT score is unfortunately not good enough for the schools mentioned, especially not in combination with that undergrad GPA. So you basically have 2 options: rethinking your school list or trying to get a better GMAT score, assuming you believe you have it in you of course.

If I were you, I would strive for a score that makes Stanford a realistic option for you, given your history with them as I think that would be one of the more natural choices for you (feel free to be in touch should you need any further explanations on that part: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/)

JL

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2017, 12:31

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap