It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request - WEAK Quant

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Profile Evaluation Request - WEAK Quant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 12:57
Hi! I’m looking for advice on the impact my low quant score will have on applications. Little different than most here - I’m looking at a solid state school (think top 50 program, not top 10). My overall GMAT score of 620 is right in line or slightly above the program averages for target my schools (they average from 580-610).

Work in marketing in the entertainment industry, got a marketing undergrad degree and minored in English. Always enjoyed writing but HATED math all my life. Understandably, my verbal score was strong - but my math score is fairly abysmal. V 38 (85th percentile) Q 37 (34th percentile). IR score was 6. I’m looking to take a marketing concentration with the MBA. 4 years work experience if that matters. Currently serve as one of the creative leads for a major world-renowned brand.

How much will they be looking at the score breakdowns, and what is the risk of my low Quant getting me the axe? I’m hoping the fact that my score is slightly above the averages will carry me through, but I’m really not sure what to expect. I’m more than competent enough in real world math to handle the necessary budgeting and financial tracking required in my position at work - but give me a word problem or geometry, dear lord, and I totally fall apart.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 207 [1], given: 77

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - WEAK Quant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The answer here would be the same as for any other program you will just need to satisfy their need to know that you can handle the work. And so if you can't do this with the test score do it another way. Since you don't have a track record of math success, no shame, I would strongly recommend that you do MBA math and submit those transcripts directly to the school which is something they offer. It's like a 12 to 20 hour self-paced online program. The website looks cheesy but it's legit.

MBA Prep Coach

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 207 [1], given: 77

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 19:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

You can also take a quant class (such as calculus or statistics) online or at a local college with the aim of getting an A in the class in order to demonstrate your ability to handle the rigor of the curriculum.

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 42

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
lpaulsen33 wrote:
Hi! I’m looking for advice on the impact my low quant score will have on applications. Little different than most here - I’m looking at a solid state school (think top 50 program, not top 10). My overall GMAT score of 620 is right in line or slightly above the program averages for target my schools (they average from 580-610).

Work in marketing in the entertainment industry, got a marketing undergrad degree and minored in English. Always enjoyed writing but HATED math all my life. Understandably, my verbal score was strong - but my math score is fairly abysmal. V 38 (85th percentile) Q 37 (34th percentile). IR score was 6. I’m looking to take a marketing concentration with the MBA. 4 years work experience if that matters. Currently serve as one of the creative leads for a major world-renowned brand.

How much will they be looking at the score breakdowns, and what is the risk of my low Quant getting me the axe? I’m hoping the fact that my score is slightly above the averages will carry me through, but I’m really not sure what to expect. I’m more than competent enough in real world math to handle the necessary budgeting and financial tracking required in my position at work - but give me a word problem or geometry, dear lord, and I totally fall apart.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Dear lpaulsen33,
Short and honest responses:
    1. Do they look at Score Breakdowns?
    Yes, they do. Often though, it is for a minimum performance criteria that assures them of the candidates making through the classes, even with passing grades. If you have other (very strong) hands that can help you compensate for your One weak hand, you can still win.
    2. Is there anything you can do to strengthen your hands further?
    Take courses in Math, the better your scores, the stronger your hands get.
    3. Are there real cases like yours out there?
    I know personally, of many cases, who have had admits from your target schools with comparable GMATs and decent profiles. Feel free to connect for more information.

Hope that helps.

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)
BK
Feel free to connect for a free detailed evaluation.
The Ivy League Edge
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953
Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 42

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - WEAK Quant   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2017, 21:58

Profile Evaluation Request - WEAK Quant

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap