Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-28-2013
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-28-2013
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation (Russia) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
hanzzz wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
hanzzz wrote:
Hello! Sorry in advance for long topic.

Need you help in evaluation of my profile.
Background info: 30 yr old Russian/ male/ 8 yrs experience in import/export and 2 yrs in domestic sales
Languages: Native speaker of Russian, conversational English (IELTS overall score 7.5 out of 9.0), moderate in Mandarin (HSK 3.0 out of 6.0), limited in Norwegian and German

Graduated from :
1. Kazan State Educational University in 2005 (Master of foreign economic relations) ;
2. Kazan State Educational University in 2003 (secondary specialized education in business accounting graduated with honors). Here I should emphasize that since Russia had just joined Bologna process model by the time I finished this 3 years accounting course, it might be quite confused for Western Universities to recognize Russian secondary specialized education. But fact is fact, I also finished 3-yrs business accounting course in University; President of class
3. Institute of history under Academy of Science in 2008 - Post-graduate student specialized in history of political science. Finished with excellent marks (A’s) for the qualifying examination for the candidate degree but decided not to write Ph.D. thesis since at that time I didn’t set myself it as object.

GPA: not calculated in Russia, but in University I was in TOP 10% of class. Most likely I will send my educational docs to US agencies for further recognition.

GMAT: I suppose, this one is my Achilles’ heel . I am going to take the test on June but expect to have only 650-680 with a little overbalance towards quant section (based on prep tests). As I graduated from U. almost 8 yrs ago and gained more academic education than technical , sometimes it is complicated for me to recall and apply all concepts of math to GMAT questions, even though my math skills in school were quite strong. I have been preparing for GMAT for almost 5 months (around 8-10 hours per week) and feel some progress (from 540 to 620) but it is still not enough.

Work Experience: in total almost 8 years of international trades (import/export)
From very recent
Head of export department (by this time almost 2 years)
Inter alia: * Established export department (became first Russian winery that started to export products not only to CIS and EU, but to Far East countries)
* Became leading exporting Russian winery in territorial coverage
* Trained factory staff of related departments for exportation purposes
* Developed market entry strategies, forecasted manufacturing sales
* Drew up contracts, their executions and all related….
Export manager (almost 3 years)
* Established deliveries to non-CIS countries (became top 10 Russian exporter of beverages)
* Drew up contracts, their executions, certification issues…
* developed and implemented long-term sales plans, production plans…
* Customs clearance
Import manager (almost 3 years)
* Overall import increased by more than 300% since taking the position
* Maintained supplier relationships with foreign companies, developed new relationships with suppliers from Spain, Italy, France
* Controlled over execution of contracts
* Customs clearance
Above all, run own small business while studying in University, but closed it due lack of time

Letters of R.: I expect to have really good ones from my previous boss (I don’t want to bother my current employer ) and my scientific adviser from Academy).
Additional info:
Public Speaking: Represented company at various national and international forums (including official events in Trade Chambers of Russia in Europe).
Interests: Geopolitics and International Trade analysis. Hiking, mountain biking, traveling. Enjoy reading. Classically trained musician (violinist).

Long term goal: to run own company related to either import or export activities
I feel that I am not ready enough for successfully running my own business, so I need to develop more entrepreneurial and leadership skills, even though my leadership skills are quite satisfied or at least quite enough for called-in employee, who run its own small team.

Target schools: Fuqua , Stanford, London BS, HKUST, IMD, HAAS, CEIBS.
Still not decided where to apply in R1 and R2.
What do you think? What are my weaknesses besides GMAT score?
Thank you.
A.N.

Let's assume you get 650 on the GMAT. Fuqua and LBS would be a stretch, but worth trying. I'd skip the application to Stanford. You would be more competitive at IMD, HKUST, and CEIBS.

Best,
Linda Abraham

Hello Linda, I appreciate your opinion, but I wouldn't skip the application to Stanford. Even though its average GMAT score is around 720, it doesn't mean that my lower than average score (let's assume I will get 650) will detract from my other merits (huge international sales and marketing experience, diversity, entrepreneurial experience, for instance).
Linda, to your mind, what GMAT score should I aim at to be more competitive for Stanford or LBS (taking into account my profile)?
Thank you.
A.N.

A.N.

First off, you're right that a 650 doesn't guarantee a rejection and not specific score guarantees an acceptance. But I would like to see you apply with a fairly balanced 690 at least. preferably 700+. LBS, can be a little lower. Also keep in mind that at Stanford, the typical applicant has 4-5 years of work experience. At LBS it's a little higher. I'm not sure you rich experience is going to be quite as much of a plus at Stanford as at program that value experience more.

However, it it's your dream school, do apply. I hope you can prove me wrong. :-)

Have you considered Cornell's Accelerated MBA?

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile evaluation (Russia) [#permalink]