GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 09:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation - Young Applicant

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
Profile Evaluation - Young Applicant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 21:49
Hi mbaMission,

Here are my stats:
-23 year-old Asian American
-14 months of work experience at a nonprofit corporation doing emergency management. Succeeded in obtaining a valuable promotion that has had me managing many large teams for 3 months now. (2 years of WE upon matriculation)
-3.3 GPA / Economics / UCLA undergrad
-710 GMAT (42V, 45Q, 6 AWA, 7 IR)
-Loaded with extracurriculars. Intramural sports, hundreds of hours of youth mentorship and community service, etc.
-Strong letter of recs

I am looking to apply to UCLA, Duke, Cornell, Washington (Foster), Goizueta and maybe Columbia or Booth. What's your take on my chances?

Thanks in advance!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Profile Evaluation - Young Applicant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 08:00
Hi elijahchang, thanks for writing in to us.

You're quite young for many MBA programs, though different schools may have more or less strict attitudes on this. What's really important, though, especially for a younger applicant, is impact. Your promotion is exciting, and that's great to see, but you've only been managing your teams for 3 months so it may be a little early to describe how you've affected the organization. You may not have results to show yet - but if you do, make sure to properly showcase them on your applications and prep your recommenders so that they can properly describe what you've done.

Check out the schools' average profiles to see how your grades and scores stack up. Looking at your list, you seem to have a nice range. You'll want a mix of reach (Columbia and Booth would be reach schools), on target and "safety" schools, and it looks like you've got that.

The extracurriculars you're loaded with - is that from undergrad? You'll want to show that you've continued to be active in your community in some way beyond college - although, it wasn't all that long ago, you still should have something current.

Last but not least, give 110% on your applications. The admissions committees will be looking for above-your-years impact and maturity, so dig deep, reflect and show learning and growth as much as possible throughout your essays and even short answers.

The admissions committees evaluate applications holistically. Without more detail on what you've done and how you'll talk about it, it's hard to say how they'll view your candidacy. It's not a simple formula, otherwise they wouldn't ask so much of you in the process. If you can do the above, and you apply to a good range of schools as you describe, you may have good results. You certainly would be better positioned, however, if you could wait another year when surely you'll have much more to talk about post-promotion.

Best of luck to you in the process!

Julie-Anne Heafey
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

elijahchang wrote:
Hi mbaMission,

Here are my stats:
-23 year-old Asian American
-14 months of work experience at a nonprofit corporation doing emergency management. Succeeded in obtaining a valuable promotion that has had me managing many large teams for 3 months now. (2 years of WE upon matriculation)
-3.3 GPA / Economics / UCLA undergrad
-710 GMAT (42V, 45Q, 6 AWA, 7 IR)
-Loaded with extracurriculars. Intramural sports, hundreds of hours of youth mentorship and community service, etc.
-Strong letter of recs

I am looking to apply to UCLA, Duke, Cornell, Washington (Foster), Goizueta and maybe Columbia or Booth. What's your take on my chances?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 10:18
Wow- thank you so much for the excellent advice! In the three months I've been working as an administrator of emergency management, I wouldn't say there's been any crazy, revolutionary changes, but there had been some things I saw weren't working too well related to how we were using our employees, and I'd say there's been considerable impact there. Of course, like you're saying, it's too early to see if these results will last.

As for my extracurriculars, I work at a Christian nonprofit, and I spend 15-20 hours a week mentoring underprivileged high schoolers. It's extremely rewarding and I could talk about it for days without end.

So I guess, more specifically, given that information, what's your take on my chances for UCLA and Duke? Those are the schools I'd like to get into the most.

Thanks so much! This is a huge help.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 21:37
That's an impressive amount of hours for your volunteer experience. I am curious now why you are so passionate and involved with this effort. Definitely reflect on that and look for ways to describe your impact there as well as in your job!

I wish I had a crystal ball for evaluating your chances at Duke and UCLA but I definitely don't. Again, they view your application as a whole, and it's more than filling out a sheet with basic stats or tiny bits of information. The essays are really important, the recommendations are really important, the interviews are important. So, hard to say.

Just looking at the stats, it may be challenging. At UCLA, the average GMAT for Class of 2020 now just hit 719 from a previous average of 715, middle 80% GPA range of 3.2-3.8 and the average work experience is 5 years - with only 13% at 0-3 years of experience at matriculation). At Duke, they post a middle 80% GMAT Of 640-750, middle 80% GPA range of 3.0-3.8, with 5-6 years average work experience. So Duke looks a little more accessible, but it's a daunting work experience profile vs. what you offer.

Still, again, it will depend on the candidate (and you can see that 13% of the class at UCLA made it work).

Are you applying now? You might consider taking advantage of Duke's Early Action process if you are sure it's one of your first choices.

Best of luck! I hope I've answered enough, but of course feel free to reach out for a free consultation for more specific advice to your profile at mbamission.com, one of us would be happy to help if we can.

Julie-Anne Heafey
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

Profile Evaluation - Young Applicant

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap