GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 23:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Young Applicant!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
Profile Evaluation - Young Applicant!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 21:36
Hi Admissionado,

Here are my stats:
-23 year-old Asian American
-14 months of work experience at a nonprofit corporation doing emergency management. Succeeded in obtaining a valuable promotion that has had me managing many large teams for 3 months now. (2 years of WE upon matriculation)
-3.3 GPA / Economics / UCLA undergrad
-710 GMAT (42V, 45Q, 6 AWA, 7 IR)
-Loaded with extracurriculars. Intramural sports, hundreds of hours of youth mentorship and community service, etc.
-Strong letter of recs

I am looking to apply to UCLA, Duke, Cornell, Washington (Foster), Goizueta and maybe Columbia or Booth. What's your take on my chances?

Thanks in advance!
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Evaluation - Young Applicant!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 19:41
We'll need a bit more info about you to be able to say for sure. What is emergency management exactly? Is that a business role? The adcom will want to see the business skills you've used & the business impact you've had in your work experience so far. That will play a huge factor in the strength of your application.

And what are you post-MBA goals? Your argument for why you need the MBA hinges on those & the adcom wants to see specifics: the title & target firms you are aiming for in the ST & LT but most importantly WHY these are your passion and WHAT impact you aspire to have at those firms.

That said, based on what you said here, here are some topline thoughts. In general you want to at least hit & ideally exceed a school's GMAT & undergrad GPA. Based on your stats schools like Columbia, Duke & Booth will be too much of a reach unfortunately but you have a shot at UCLA, Cornell, Foster & Goizueta. Schools ideally like to see you land somewhere in their average range in terms of years of work experience & with only 2 years of work experience you are going to be on the low end).

In all honesty, my advice would be to get one more year of work experience under your belt, rack up some impressive accomplishments at work in that year, and see if you can get your GMAT up & that will strengthen your overall candidacy. And like I said, fleshing out some strong post-MBA goals will be critical as well.

If you'd like any help definitely reach out to us! We have an Advanced Planning program designed to help candidates who are planning to apply a year from now - it will allow you to take steps to strengthen your candidacy so that you can shoot for higher ranked schools when the time comes to apply! If you'd like to set up a free consultation definitely reach out to Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com and she can set you up!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 20:51
Jon,

Thank you so much for the helpful input. Emergency managers are typically trained by FEMA and are hired by organizations to evaluate their disaster preparedness infrastructure and to draft protocol to mitigate and prevent the consequences of natural disasters (in California, where I work, most notably earthquakes).

I'm working on the details of the goals for now.

To be frank, apart from negotiating a few great deals from emergency supply vendors, I don't have much in the way of "business" experience, especially since I'm so young; however, I have plenty when it comes to working with and managing teams. I have a lot of experience when it comes to helping people grow and develop both within the workplace and in the community (literally hundreds of hours) as a volunteer. I just don't know how much MBA programs value that versus quantifiable, easily verifiable "business experience."

Thanks so much again. I wish I could give more kudos.
Elijah
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 17:57
Like you said, you are young so I'd still recommend getting some more work experience before applying to b-school. Honestly, it would be a good idea to considering leaving your current role & moving into one that is more of a business position for a couple of years. That will improve your candidacy, allow you to learn more about business so you can be sure an MBA is right for you, and also give you exposure to the business world that will help you figure out the specifics of what you'd like to do post-MBA.

Hope that helps & if we can help with anything else definitely don't hesitate to reach out! We do offer an Advanced Planning service to candidates who are thinking ahead & want specific advice about how to improve their candidacy. If that sounds like something you'd be interested in Claudia can tell you more & can also set you up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants. You can reach her at claudia@admissionado.com

Either way, best of luck to you!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Profile Evaluation - Young Applicant!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap