GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 20:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Psychologists recently conducted a study in which people from widely

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Psychologists recently conducted a study in which people from widely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Jun 2018, 10:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:10) correct 50% (02:03) wrong based on 316 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Psychologists recently conducted a study in which people from widely disparate cultures were asked to examine five photographs. Each photograph depicted the face of a person expressing one of five basic human emotions - fear, happiness, disgust, anger, and sadness. The people in the study were asked to identify the emotion being expressed in each photograph. For each photograph, everyone identified the same emotion. This shows that people are genetically predisposed to associate certain facial expressions with certain basic emotions.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) For each photograph, the emotion that the subjects agreed was being expressed was the emotion that the person photographed was, in fact, feeling.
(B) One's emotional disposition is not influenced by one's culture.
(C) Some behaviors that are present in people from widely disparate cultures are nonetheless culturally influenced.
(D) If there is a behavior common to people of widely disparate cultures, then there is probably a genetic predisposition to that behavior.
(E) The people whose faces were depicted in the photographs were not all from the same culture.

Source:LSAT

Kudos! :)

Non progredi est regredi

Originally posted by Akela on 11 Feb 2018, 10:03.
Last edited by Akela on 06 Jun 2018, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Psychologists recently conducted a study in which people from widely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 11:13
Akela wrote:
Psychologists recently conducted a study in which people from widely disparate cultures were asked to examine five photographs. Each photograph depicted the face of a person expressing one of five basic human emotions - fear, happiness, disgust, anger, and sadness. The people in the study were asked to identify the emotion being expressed in each photograph. For each photograph, everyone identified the same emotion. This shows that people are genetically predisposed to associate certain facial expressions with certain basic emotions.

(A) For each photograph, the emotion that the subjects agreed was being expressed was the emotion that the person photographed was, in fact, feeling.
(C) Some behaviors that are present in people from widely disparate cultures are nonetheless culturally influenced.
(D) If there is a behavior common to people of widely disparate cultures, then there is probably a genetic predisposition to that behavior.
(E) The people whose faces were depicted in the photographs were not all from the same culture.

Source:LSAT

Premise: The observation of a study is that people of disparate cultures reacted in a similar manner to an experiment or situation.
Conclusion: The result shows that there is a genetic predisposition that led to this.

The assumption is that the commonality in behavior is because of the genetic predisposition.

Option D states this and hence is the correct answer.

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: XLRI
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V19
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Psychologists recently conducted a study in which people from widely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 17:33
D.
Shift in the Conclusion.( Generalized conclusion drawn from a specific study).
Negating D will shatter the conclusion.
:-)
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 03:46

--People fake emotions many times (they might be happy inside but showing their anger via facial expressions) --out of scope

--Close contender. But it doesn't explain that how identification of emotions is genetically linked in humans

--This weakens the argument. Anyways, this option is out of scope because there will always be "some" people.

--Correct.

--Out of scope

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2018, 07:18
Hi gmatexam439

Can you give some more explanation to reject choice B on strong grounds.

Thanks!

gmatexam439 wrote:

--People fake emotions many times (they might be happy inside but showing their anger via facial expressions) --out of scope

--Close contender. But it doesn't explain that how identification of emotions is genetically linked in humans

--This weakens the argument. Anyways, this option is out of scope because there will always be "some" people.

--Correct.

--Out of scope

Regards,
Adi

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 11:10
Hi i think B is defender assumption while D is supporter assumption.
abhimahna, GMATNinja, Can you please explain how to eliminate B over D.

Thank you
Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 09:55
Nightmare007 wrote:
Hi i think B is defender assumption while D is supporter assumption.
Can you please explain how to eliminate B over D.

Thank you

Hey Nightmare007 ,

I am happy to help :-)

Let's understand the argument first.

Premise: When disparate culture people were asked to identify the emotions, everyone identified the same emotion.
Conclusion: People are genetically predisposed to associate certain facial expressions with certain basic emotions.

That means author has made some link between How disparate culture people are behaving with the genetic predisposition.

Option B:

This option is playing around only with the premise. Assumption is something that strengthens the link between a premise and the conclusion. Also, B is too extreme. Maybe emotional disposition is influenced? I don't care. I need to see how culture and genetics are related. B is not doing that job. Hence, B is wrong.

Option D:

It clearly makes the link between the premise and the conclusion as I mentioned above. Hence, it is the correct answer.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 18:48
abhimahna wrote:
I am happy to help :-)

Let's understand the argument first.

Premise: When disparate culture people were asked to identify the emotions, everyone identified the same emotion.
Conclusion: People are genetically predisposed to associate certain facial expressions with certain basic emotions.

That means author has made some link between How disparate culture people are behaving with the genetic predisposition.

Option B:

This option is playing around only with the premise. Assumption is something that strengthens the link between a premise and the conclusion. Also, B is too extreme. Maybe emotional disposition is influenced? I don't care. I need to see how culture and genetics are related. B is not doing that job. Hence, B is wrong.

Option D:

It clearly makes the link between the premise and the conclusion as I mentioned above. Hence, it is the correct answer.

Does that make sense?

Thank you abhimahna,
I get it where i was going wrong. In assumptions we need to concentrate ONLY on the bridge between premise and conclusion.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Psychologists recently conducted a study in which people from widely &nbs [#permalink] 01 Jun 2018, 18:48

Psychologists recently conducted a study in which people from widely

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap