GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 24
Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2009, 11:23
1
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:46) correct 34% (02:14) wrong based on 306 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town announces that because the service is unprofitable, it will discontinue this service next year. Town officials have urged the community to use the airline’s service more frequently so that the airline will change its decision. There is no reason to comply with their recommendation, however, for just last week these same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying.

The Pundit’s reasoning is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it presumes, without providing justification, that

(A) Increasing the number of tickets sold without increasing ticket prices will be sufficient to make continued air service economically feasible.

(B) Suspending service and losing money by continuing service are the airline’s only options.

(C) The town officials paid for their trip with taxpayers’ money rather than their own money.

(D) Ground transportation is usually no less expensive than airplane transportation.

(E) If the town officials did not follow their own advice, then that advice is not worth following.

I took Weakening approach here.. Will let know the answer once explained here

_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

VP
VP
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Posts: 1210
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Premium Member
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2009, 17:39
(A) because the argument is that if the airline's service is used more the airline would continue its service. The airline will continue its service because it will be profitable. However, the airline may be unprofitable for other reasons, for example, there's a mandated price ceiling on the airline ticket, which does not allow the airline to recover its costs.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2004
Posts: 198
Location: India
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2009, 00:13
Eliminated b,c,d,
Between A and E............A looks better
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 24
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2009, 00:21
asimov
I get your point and Where you are going. I must say that I got it a little bit wrong is thinking that the question is of WKNing type. It seems to me like an Assumption question now.

Before giving the answer now, I would like to know the conclusion here.
Are there more than 1 conclusion here?
Moreover, I would like to know correctness of my judgement of classifying it in Assumption Finding category of question.
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 24
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2009, 00:24
mdfrahim wrote:
Eliminated b,c,d,
Between A and E............A looks better


Can I have reasoning for choices your elimination? Also why A better than E?
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 24
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2009, 00:28
asimov wrote:
(A) because the argument is that if the airline's service is used more the airline would continue its service. The airline will continue its service because it will be profitable. However, the airline may be unprofitable for other reasons, for example, there's a mandated price ceiling on the airline ticket, which does not allow the airline to recover its costs.


After relooking at the question, I also came to answer A. I got your point, but the answer in the source doesnt match with our answer A. I will reveal answer in some time. Please come with correct answer with proper justification.
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 24
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2009, 06:11
bkumars8 wrote:
It's E for me.

Correct... Reasoning please!!!!!!!
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Posts: 418
Location: Vagabond
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2009, 06:43
Pundits Reasoning - There is no reason to comply with their recommendation (to use the airline’s service more frequently), since just last week these same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying.

Ans is E

OA pls

joshofnsit wrote:
Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town announces that because the service is unprofitable, it will discontinue this service next year. Town officials have urged the community to use the airline’s service more frequently so that the airline will change its decision. There is no reason to comply with their recommendation, however, for just last week these same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying.
The Pundit’s reasoning is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it presumes, without providing justification, that
(A) Increasing the number of tickets sold without increasing ticket prices will be sufficient to make continued air service economically feasible.
(B) Suspending service and losing money by continuing service are the airline’s only options.
(C) The town officials paid for their trip with taxpayers’ money rather than their own money.
(D) Ground transportation is usually no less expensive than airplane transportation.
(E) If the town officials did not follow their own advice, then that advice is not worth following.

I took Weakening approach here.. Will let know the answer once explained here

_________________

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 24
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2009, 07:53
snipertrader wrote:
Pundits Reasoning - There is no reason to comply with their recommendation (to use the airline’s service more frequently), since just last week these same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying.

Ans is E

OA pls

joshofnsit wrote:
Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town announces that because the service is unprofitable, it will discontinue this service next year. Town officials have urged the community to use the airline’s service more frequently so that the airline will change its decision. There is no reason to comply with their recommendation, however, for just last week these same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying.
The Pundit’s reasoning is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it presumes, without providing justification, that
(A) Increasing the number of tickets sold without increasing ticket prices will be sufficient to make continued air service economically feasible.
(B) Suspending service and losing money by continuing service are the airline’s only options.
(C) The town officials paid for their trip with taxpayers’ money rather than their own money.
(D) Ground transportation is usually no less expensive than airplane transportation.
(E) If the town officials did not follow their own advice, then that advice is not worth following.

I took Weakening approach here.. Will let know the answer once explained here


E is the OA. I have now traced it to the root. Also, it is not a direct/normal WKN or assumption question. Rather it is flaw in reasoning types. Some more details about this flaw in argument can be found on ==> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

VP
VP
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Posts: 1210
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Premium Member
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2009, 14:10
I don't understand why it would be E. Just because the official is hypocritical doesn't make the argument bad.
This is like saying "an official said that buying more fuel efficient vehicle will help you save gas, but last week the official just bought a fuel-guzzling Mercedes G-Wagon." Does him having a G Wagon have anything to do with the fact you will save gas?
Furthermore, the question did not specifically state that the announcement by the airline took place before last week. For all we know, the official could have drove before he know about the airline's plan.
The kind of reasoning of the OA would work well in politics, but it has nothing to do with logic.
By the way, where did you get that question from? Sometime prep books have bad questions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 24
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2009, 20:31
1
asimov wrote:
I don't understand why it would be E. Just because the official is hypocritical doesn't make the argument bad.
This is like saying "an official said that buying more fuel efficient vehicle will help you save gas, but last week the official just bought a fuel-guzzling Mercedes G-Wagon." Does him having a G Wagon have anything to do with the fact you will save gas?
Furthermore, the question did not specifically state that the announcement by the airline took place before last week. For all we know, the official could have drove before he know about the airline's plan.
The kind of reasoning of the OA would work well in politics, but it has nothing to do with logic.
By the way, where did you get that question from? Sometime prep books have bad questions.


Here is the analysis:
The Main/Primary conclusion here is "Dont follow/comply with their recommendation.. refer[1] "
The main premise here is "same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying"
Premise 1--> The only airline providing service for our town announces that because the service is unprofitable, it will discontinue this service next year.
Subconclusion/ Premise 2-->Town officials have urged the community to use the airline’s service more frequently so that the airline will change its decision.[1]

I completely agree that Premise1 and Subconclusion form a pair to form an argument, which also have its own assumption as specified in option selected by us in A and that also lacks an assumption. But we should disregard that on 2 grounds 1) it is not main conclusion where author of this paragraph is ultimately leading us to 2) the type of question it is i.e. "Flaw in the reasoning" and not straight weaken or assumption question. Here you are not told to identify the assumption or weakening loophole, rather the stem itself commits that there is some problem in the argument and then ask to give the FLAW in the argument.

The answer lies in the question stem.
The Pundit’s reasoning is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it presumes, without providing justification, that

As far as authenticity of question is concerned, please don't get worried. This is question from examination of LSAT, which has been an assumed source of logic for GMAT CR questions.
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Posts: 124
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2009, 00:31
I also think the ans is E.Is it the correct ans?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 27
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2009, 03:47
IMO E.
A is the presumption of town officials' statement to use the airline more . Pundits argument is not to follow the town officials advice and that presumes E.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 751
Location: New Delhi
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2009, 05:30
It should certainly be E.

Question is asking for the flaw in writer's argument (writer here is Pundit).

Breakup of Pundit's argument:
Evidence: Town officials have given suggestion, which they are not following themselves.
Conclusion: Since Town officials themselves are not following their suggestions, we should also not follow.

(A) Increasing the number of tickets sold without increasing ticket prices will be sufficient to make continued air service economically feasible. -Option talking about Town Officials' suggestion, not Pundit's argument
(B) Suspending service and losing money by continuing service are the airline’s only options. -Irrelevant
(C) The town officials paid for their trip with taxpayers’ money rather than their own money. -Irrelevant. No information has been given about this
(D) Ground transportation is usually no less expensive than airplane transportation. -Irrelevant. No information has been given about this
(E) If the town officials did not follow their own advice, then that advice is not worth following. -Correct option. This is what Pundit is concluding based on one incidence of Officials not following their own suggestion. There can always be some possible circumstances, due to which officials couldn't follow their own suggestions.
_________________

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 182
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2009, 05:47
Oh.. i didn't read the text properly... that's stupid of me. :(
I agree with E.
_________________

"Always....Read between the lines"

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 751
Location: New Delhi
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2009, 07:43
aknine wrote:
Oh.. i didn't read the text properly... that's stupid of me. :(
I agree with E.


:) It happens. I think option A has been placed intentionally, to make the question tricky.
If the question has asked to find a flaw in "Town Officers" argument, then certainly it would be option A.
_________________

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 85
Location: India
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 04:39
According to me the conclusion, Which is usually the final sentence, is :-

There is no reason to comply with their recommendation, however, for just last week these same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying.

Now we have to find out an options that deals with what has been stated in the conclusion. E is the suitable choice. A is tempting.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Posts: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V36
Reviews Badge
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 15:46
The correct answer must be E.

This argument discusses two things. Pundit argument and Town Official argument. Our task must be to focus exclusively on Pundit argument only, which relies on reasoning that "the same official drove out of town conference instead of flying".

Here's explanation why choice A and D are wrong and why choice E is correct:
A: It's out of scope, for the pundit reasoning is not to question the increase in revenue with increase in ticket sold. Rather it's on not following their own advise by town officials.

D: This choice is also out of scope, because the cost underling the transportation while using different mean is not an issue. It's just a trap answer choice.

E: This choice exactly addresses the presupposition of the pundit while stating reasoning in his argument.

Hope the answer of the question :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Aug 2018
Posts: 23
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 11:33
Bumping this question to the top. This is a very good 600-700 level question.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town &nbs [#permalink] 21 Aug 2018, 11:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.