It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 08:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Based on accounts of various ancient

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16954 [2], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
QOTD: Based on accounts of various ancient [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (00:36) correct 42% (00:46) wrong based on 534 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 11: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century BC, worshipped a goddess known as Bona Dea, "the good goddess".

(A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers
(B) Basing it on various ancient writers' accounts
(C) With accounts of various ancient writers used for a basis
(D) By the account of various ancient writers they used
(E) Using accounts of various ancient writers

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16954 [2], given: 1961

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1556 [3], given: 399

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Based on accounts of various ancient [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 08:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:
(A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century BC, worshipped a goddess known as Bona Dea, "the good goddess".

Maybe some of you will disagree, but I think (A) sounds good. This absolutely sounds like a sentence that a smart history professor would include in a paper or a lecture.

Trouble is, this is the GMAT, and your ear is not your friend. Welcome to GMAT SC: correct answers will “sound bad”, and wrong answers often “sound good.”

In this case, you’ll want to be strict and literal when you analyze the “-ed” modifier and its relationship to the noun it modifies. (A) is saying that scholars themselves are “based on accounts of various ancient writers”, and that doesn’t make sense. (A) is gone.

(And for more on “-ed” modifiers, please check out our Topic of the Week.)

Quote:

This one is easier to eliminate, since “it” has no antecedent. “Picture” would be the closest singular noun, but that’s too far ahead in the sentence to be reasonable. (B) is gone.

Quote:

If you wanted to be conservative, I suppose that you could hang onto this one until you see a better option. I don’t think that it’s grammatically wrong, exactly, but it’s definitely wordy, and I don’t love the use of “with” in this sentence –- it just seems like a very clunky way to express the fact that scholars used accounts of various ancient writers to accomplish their work. And as we’ll see in a moment, (E) is much better.

Quote:
(D) By the accounts of various ancient writers they used

This one seems to be saying that the scholars used the various ancient writers, and that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. I’m also not sure that the structure makes sense in general: the scholars painted a sketchy picture “by the accounts of various ancient writers”? Sure, the scholars used those accounts, or based their picture on those accounts – but it wouldn’t make sense to say that they painted the picture “by the accounts” of the ancient writers. We can eliminate (D).

Quote:

The “-ing” modifier is perfect here: the scholars used the accounts of various ancient writers to paint their sketchy picture. And there’s no extra nonsense in (E), so it’s much clearer than (C). (E) wins.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

Kudos [?]: 1556 [3], given: 399

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 95

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 09:00
Tough call between A and E, rest can be easily eliminated. ( B, basing it is incorrect, C. with accounts also doesn't sound right and D. by the accounts is definitely wrong).

I would go with E as "the scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that worshipped a goddess, using accounts of various writers" sounds better.

Based on accounts seems to be more of an eyewitness narration than the act of painting a sketchy picture of activities.

Please correct me experts if my reasons are totally wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!

I can and I will- watch me.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 95

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 13

Concentration: Finance
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 14:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century BC, worshipped a goddess known as Bona Dea, "the good goddess".

(A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers - incorrect. The phrase "Based on accounts of various ancient writers" incorrectly modifies "scholars".
(B) Basing it on various ancient writers' accounts - incorrect. "it" does not have an antecedent.
(C) With accounts of various ancient writers used for a basis - wordy
(D) By the account of various ancient writers they used - wordy. Moreover, "account" should be plural; not sure whether this error is just a typo.
(E) Using accounts of various ancient writers - correct.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 13

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 20:12
A-Incorrect modifier
B-"It" is ambiguous.
C- wordy
D-By the account seems incorrect
E-correct
Waiting for OA

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 00:29
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 11: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

(A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers
(D) By the account of various ancient writers they used

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

This Question really teat if we should use Verb-eḍ modifier or Verb-ing Modifier

Choice A) Modifers Scholar

While Choice E May modify Scholar or complete preceding clause.

I think choice E conveys more meaning than A

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 02:02
GMATNinja wrote:
Reserved for expert explanation

Please share the correct answer with Explanation.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 95

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
The answer must be option E. My take on the question :

Meaning - Scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all female cult that , perhaps as early as the sixth century BC, worshipped a goddess known as Bona Dea, "the good goddess". The sketchy picture has been based on the account of various ancient writers.

Error analysis - This is a classic case of modifier error. Based on ... modifies scholars. This is nonsensical. Scholars are not based on anything. The scholars use ancient accounts to sketch a picture. Option which talks about this must be used.

POE -

a) Eliminated based on the error analysis mentioned above.
b) "It" - what does it refer to ? eliminate
c) With accounts ... for a basis --> You don't need to use with accounts and for a basis together. Moreover this choice is too wordy.
d) meaning issue. By the account of various ancient writers they used ---> writers did not use various accounts. eliminate
e) Fits the bill. Correct choice.

The answer must be option E.

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 95

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 11:18
Out of following two which one is correct.

1-Based on 25 years of research in the field, the doctor had a hunch that the new medicine would be successful.

2-Depending on 25 years of research in the field, the doctor had a hunch that the new medicine would be successful.

I feel first one is incorrect as "based on....." modifies the doctor...which is incorrect as Doctor is not based on 25 years of research.
and i am not sure about the 2nd one.

Expert please reply

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 15

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9024 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 10:49
GmatBawse wrote:
Tough call between A and E, rest can be easily eliminated. ( B, basing it is incorrect, C. with accounts also doesn't sound right and D. by the accounts is definitely wrong).

I would go with E as "the scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that worshipped a goddess, using accounts of various writers" sounds better.

Based on accounts seems to be more of an eyewitness narration than the act of painting a sketchy picture of activities.

Please correct me experts if my reasons are totally wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Hello GmatBawse,

Whenever a sentence starts with a verb-ed or a verb-ing modifier, the action denoted by these modifiers must make sense with the subject of the main clause.

Let's now apply this rule to the official sentence at hand.

The question we ask here is that are the scholars based on accounts of various ancient writers? Most definitely not. Hence, usage of the opening verb-ed modifier is incorrect because it fails to make sense with the subject scholars.

Now let's check the usage of the verb-ing modifier using accounts of various ancient writers in Choice E.

The question we ask here is that did the scholars use the accounts of various ancient writers? Yes, indeed. That's the correct usage of the verb-ing modifier in the context of this sentence. Hence, Choice E is the correct answer.

This is the way to check the correctness of the opening verb-ed and verb-ing modifiers in a sentence.

The correct usage of both these modifiers have been explained in super details with ample examples in our SC course. In fact, the concept dealing with Verb-ing Modifier is part of our Free Trail Course. You can register at e-gmat.com and review the same.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9024 [0], given: 335

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9024 [1], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
abhineetmanu wrote:
Out of following two which one is correct.

1-Based on 25 years of research in the field, the doctor had a hunch that the new medicine would be successful.

2-Depending on 25 years of research in the field, the doctor had a hunch that the new medicine would be successful.

I feel first one is incorrect as "based on....." modifies the doctor...which is incorrect as Doctor is not based on 25 years of research.
and i am not sure about the 2nd one.

Expert please reply

Hello abhineetmanu,

Indeed, this sentence is incorrect. The doctor is not based on 25 years of research. So yes, your analysis about this sentence is correct.

IMHO, this sentence is also incorrect because the meaning conveyed by the modifier does not fit logically in the context of the sentence. Does the sentence intend to say that because the doctor depended on 25 years of research, he had a hunch or the doctor depended on 25 years of research to arrive at the hunch? The sentence does not convey clear meaning.

Let's alter the wording of this sentence a bit.

2- Possessing great expertise in the field of chemistry, the doctor had a hunch that the new medicine would be successful.

In the above-mentioned sentence, the opening modifier correctly modifies the subject doctor by suggesting that the doctor possessed great expertise in the field of chemistry.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9024 [1], given: 335

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 165

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 23:01
GMATNinja , if I write ''Basing on accounts of various ancient writers'' , will it be correct? Why or why not?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 23:05
GMATNinja , So the following sentence is wrong :
''Based on the evidence, the jury reached a verdict."

Will it be correct to say, "Using the evidence, the jury reached a verdict"?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 04:37
Is not there anyone who can give reply???

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7869 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 10:56
Top Contributor
rma

"Using the evidence, the jury reached a verdict ---- is correct.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7869 [0], given: 363

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 12:20
daagh wrote:
rma

Thanks! So we can always use the word "using" in such cases??

if I write ''Basing on accounts of various ancient writers'' , will it be correct? Why or why not?

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1556 [0], given: 399

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 17:16
rma26 wrote:
daagh wrote:
rma

Thanks! So we can always use the word "using" in such cases??

if I write ''Basing on accounts of various ancient writers'' , will it be correct? Why or why not?

As long as the phrase "using ____" makes sense with the noun that follows, then "using" is no problem. So the sentence "using the evidence, the jury reached a verdict" is fine, since makes sense that the jury uses the evidence.

This, however, would be wrong: ''Basing on accounts of various ancient writers, young Athenian women wove a new woolen robe each year.'' First of all, the young Athenian women aren't performing the action "basing." Second, I think you'd need some sort of object here: what, exactly, is based on the accounts of various ancient writers?

Something like this would be acceptable: "Basing their conclusions on the accounts of various ancient writers, scholars determined that young Athenian women really liked baklava." The scholars perform the action "basing", and it's clear that the scholars' conclusions are based on the accounts of the various ancient writers.

For more, feel free to check out our posts on "-ing" and "-ed" words.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

Kudos [?]: 1556 [0], given: 399

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Based on accounts of various ancient writers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 05:23
BASED ON ACCOUNTS OF VARIOUS ANCIENT WRITERS, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female culture that, perhaps as early as the sixth century B. C., worshipped a goddess known in Latin as Bona Dea, "the good goddess".
A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers,
B) Basing it on various ancient writers' accounts,
C) With accounts of various ancient writers used for a basis,
D) By the accounts of various ancient writers they used,
E) Using accounts of various ancient writers,

The OA is E. However, I'm confused between A and E and would appreciate if someone would explain why E is a better choice.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Based on accounts of various ancient writers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 05:30
Sprihasakshi wrote:
BASED ON ACCOUNTS OF VARIOUS ANCIENT WRITERS, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female culture that, perhaps as early as the sixth century B. C., worshipped a goddess known in Latin as Bona Dea, "the good goddess".
The OA is E. However, I'm confused between A and E and would appreciate if someone would explain why E is a better choice.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-based-o ... fl=similar
Please check here. This should help!

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 99

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 332

WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
QOTD: Based on accounts of various ancient [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 05:28
Sprihasakshi wrote:

This is how I came to choose the correct option.

scholars have painted a sketchy picture--- how? Based on accounts of various ancient writers OR Using accounts of various ancient writers.

If you go with based or ed modifier, An ed modifier will modify or give meaning to scholar. that is not the case here. So, scholars have painted a sketchy picture by using something and not based on something.

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 332

QOTD: Based on accounts of various ancient   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2017, 05:28

QOTD: Based on accounts of various ancient

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap