GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 06:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4999
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 12:18
6
41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:41) correct 36% (01:41) wrong based on 1400 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 61: Sentence Correction


Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here


Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2028
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 12:20
7
5
This is one of my favorite, nasty GMAT parallelism questions. We discussed it in last Wednesday’s verbal chat (Vyshak ’s always-awesome transcript is available here), but it’s worth repeating this one for a QOTD, since it really gets into the meat of what parallelism really is.

Quote:
(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

Something has to be parallel to the phrase “to subsidize”, since that’s what follows the parallelism trigger “and.” We really only have one candidate: “to maintain.”

So we have: “… the city’s mayor proposed a… reduction in the amount allocated the previous year…

    1) to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions
    and 2) to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups

And that makes sense. Let’s keep (A).

Quote:
(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing

I don’t like the parallelism as much here. The phrase “for subsidizing” follows the parallelism trigger “and”, and I’m not sure what’s parallel to “for subsidizing.” I guess “to maintain”? They’re both prepositional phrases, but the parallelism seems much better in (A).

Plus, we have a pronoun problem. “It” needs to refer to a singular noun, and we don’t have a lot of options. “City’s” is possessive, and as far as I can tell, a non-possessive pronoun can’t refer back to a possessive antecedent (more on this in a recent YouTube webinar on GMAT pronouns). “It” can’t refer to the mayor, either. So I guess the “it” refers to the “budget gap”? That doesn’t make sense. (B) is out.

Quote:
(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

This looks parallel, right? “To subsidize” is parallel with “to reduce.” That sounds fine.

But wait: that really doesn’t work. “Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed…

    1) to reduce… the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions
    and 2) to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups

Nope, that can’t be right. Look at #2 again: “Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed… to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.” No, s/he probably didn’t. It’s grammatically parallel, but it’s also illogical. As we said in our long-winded Beginner’s Guide to SC, meaning can be pretty darned important. (C) is gone.

Quote:
(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize

(D) has the same pronoun problem as (B). And “to subsidize” isn’t really parallel to anything at all. (D) can be eliminated.

Quote:
(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization

“They” has no antecedent, and “for the subsidization” is awfully messy. (E) is out, and (A) is the last answer standing.
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

General Discussion
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 1131
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 12:36
2
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize. CORRECT

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing -Incorrect. (pronoun error)

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize -Incorrect. Changes the intended meaning of the original sentence. The intended meaning is that the mayor wants to reduce the budget by 17% so that he can continue supporting institutions and art groups. However, this option says that the mayor wants to reduce the amount that was allocated to the institutions and art groups.

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize -Incorrect. (reduction in the amount is correct idiom)

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization -Incorrect. (past continuous is not required)

----------------------------------------------
Kudos if it helps!
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!


Preparing for RC my way


My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Mar 2016
Posts: 531
Reviews Badge
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 23:51
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize...luks correct keep it

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing,, to maintain and for subsidizing is not parallel

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize... to maintain and for subsidizing is not parallel and also improper wording,,how can we reduce 17% from previous year

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize...pronoun it has no proper referrent

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization,,,same as C


ans A
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4544
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Oct 2017, 22:18
1
Top Contributor
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization

I do not think one needs to stretch beyond the infinitive parallelism in this topic. Only A sticks to the infinitive to parallelism while all the rest falter on that.

_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509


Originally posted by daagh on 24 Jul 2017, 23:56.
Last edited by daagh on 03 Oct 2017, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 398
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 01:12
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 61: Sentence Correction


Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here


Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.


This seemed like a straightforward parallelism question.

A - to maintain and to subsidise are parallel. No other errors. KEEP.
B - to maintain and for subsidising breaks parallelism. OUT.
C - for maintenance and to subsidise breaks parallelism. OUT.
D - for maintaining and to subsidise breaks parallelism. OUT.
E - for maintaining and for the subsidisation breaks parallelism. OUT.

A is the answer.
_________________

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 58
Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Reviews Badge
QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 09:57
Parallelism: Remember, every incorrect sentence has multiple reasons to be incorrect. Make your order when you check.
Such as - Subject Verb Agreement, Pronouns, Parallelism, Modifiers. You can eliminate one sentence for multiple errors.

That said, the below sentence is all about parallelism.

Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidise hundreds of local arts groups.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidise --- Correct (Clear Parallelism)

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2682
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 10:13
Allocating to x and y
Only A maintains parallelism

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 18 May 2016
Posts: 180
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Marketing (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 09:20
A it is. I misunderstood the meaning and chose C but A maintains proper parallelism with meaning.



Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2016
Posts: 117
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 17:25
(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

Could you suggest if usage of "that" here correctly modifies "the amount"? That is, is this usage (or exception to modifier touch rule) accepted where there is a prepositional phrase between noun and the modifier?

Thanks
daagh wrote:
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization

I do not think one needs to stretch beyond the infinitive parallelism in this topic. Only sticks to the infinitive to parallelism while all the rest falter on that.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4544
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 00:16
1
Top Contributor
Notwithstanding what is just in front of the relative pronouns, the ultimate decider is the logic behind such references. This has been made abundantly clear by GMAT as seen from the OG topic below.

Quote:
The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological response.

A) that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses.
B) that creates unconscious physiological responses in turn.
C) creating, in turn, unconscious physiological responses.
D) to create, in turn, physiological responses that are unconscious.
E) who creates unconscious physiological responses in turn.

OA is 'A' and 'that' is preceded by a prepositional phrase, but the true referent of 'that' is the 'reactions', beyond the prepositional phrase
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 275
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 04:55
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

This looks parallel, right? “To subsidize” is parallel with “to reduce.” That sounds fine.

But wait: that really doesn’t work. “Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed…

    1) to reduce… the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions
    and 2) to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups

Nope, that can’t be right. Look at #2 again: “Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed… to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.” No, s/he probably didn’t. It’s grammatically parallel, but it’s also illogical.As we said in our long-winded Beginner’s Guide to SC, meaning can be pretty darned important. (C) is gone.



Hi experts,
Any one can clarify “Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed… to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.” No, s/he probably didn’t. It’s grammatically parallel, but it’s also illogical.
The mayor can propose to reduce something, why it is illogical that (s)he proposed to subsidize something?

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3671
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 05:30
2
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi experts,
Any one can clarify “Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed… to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.” No, s/he probably didn’t. It’s grammatically parallel, but it’s also illogical.
The mayor can propose to reduce something, why it is illogical that (s)he proposed to subsidize something?

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~



Hey zoezhuyan ,

Understanding the meaning of the original sentence is very important here.

Original meaning is Mayor proposed to reduce some amount that is used to maintain XYZ and subsidize PQR.

But option C is saying Mayor proposed to reduce some amount AND to subsidize something.

Do you see the change in meaning?

In the first case, we are reducing amount that is used to do 2 things.

While in the 2nd case, we are doing two things - 1)Reducing amounts 2) Subsidizing something.

Hence, C is wrong. Meaning change is not allowed if we have a grammatically and logically correct answer choice.

By illogical, GMATNinja Sir meant, I believe, meaning change as it can be inferred from his statement "As we said in our long-winded Beginner’s Guide to SC, meaning can be pretty darned important."

Does that make sense?
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 275
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 06:19
abhimahna wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi experts,
Any one can clarify “Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed… to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.” No, s/he probably didn’t. It’s grammatically parallel, but it’s also illogical.
The mayor can propose to reduce something, why it is illogical that (s)he proposed to subsidize something?

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~



Hey zoezhuyan ,

Understanding the meaning of the original sentence is very important here.

Original meaning is Mayor proposed to reduce some amount that is used to maintain XYZ and subsidize PQR.

But option C is saying Mayor proposed to reduce some amount AND to subsidize something.

Do you see the change in meaning?

In the first case, we are reducing amount that is used to do 2 things.

While in the 2nd case, we are doing two things - 1)Reducing amounts 2) Subsidizing something.

Hence, C is wrong. Meaning change is not allowed if we have a grammatically and logically correct answer choice.

By illogical, GMATNinja Sir meant, I believe, meaning change as it can be inferred from his statement "As we said in our long-winded Beginner’s Guide to SC, meaning can be pretty darned important."

Does that make sense?


Thanks so much for your quick answer, abhimahna

I totally understand meaning is the key, and i try to approach SC by meaning
at first, i picked up C because i thought it is logical to say a mayer prosed to reduce something and (proposed) to subsidize something, that's why i haven't gotten that it is illogic to say “Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed… to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.” No, s/he probably didn’t. It’s grammatically parallel, but it’s also illogical.

I think i must miss something, would you please clarify further?

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day

>_~
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3671
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 06:55
1
zoezhuyan wrote:
Thanks so much for your quick answer, abhimahna

I totally understand meaning is the key, and i try to approach SC by meaning
at first, i picked up C because i thought it is logical to say a mayer prosed to reduce something and (proposed) to subsidize something, that's why i haven't gotten that it is illogic to say “Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed… to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.” No, s/he probably didn’t. It’s grammatically parallel, but it’s also illogical.

I think i must miss something, would you please clarify further?

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day

>_~


Hey zoezhuyan ,

By illogical, we meant change in meaning. C is simply changing the meaning.

Please note that meaning change is NOT ALLOWED when you have the correct option that is maintaining the original meaning AND is both grammatically and logically correct.

Since I have A in place, I won't even look bother much about C.

Does that make sense?
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 275
QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 06:08
abhimahna wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Thanks so much for your quick answer, abhimahna

I totally understand meaning is the key, and i try to approach SC by meaning
at first, i picked up C because i thought it is logical to say a mayer prosed to reduce something and (proposed) to subsidize something, that's why i haven't gotten that it is illogic to say “Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed… to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.” No, s/he probably didn’t. It’s grammatically parallel, but it’s also illogical.

I think i must miss something, would you please clarify further?

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day

>_~





Hey zoezhuyan ,

By illogical, we meant change in meaning. C is simply changing the meaning.

Please note that meaning change is NOT ALLOWED when you have the correct option that is maintaining the original meaning AND is both grammatically and logically correct.

Since I have A in place, I won't even look bother much about C.

Does that make sense?



Thanks abhimahna,
i have misunderstood the "illogical" meaning,

Have a nice day
>_~
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 29 Dec 2017
Posts: 383
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 20:05
Shouldn't "proposed" require subjunctive mood here: proposed + that + be?
In what cases can we ommit this rule? Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2028
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 11:55
Hero8888 wrote:
Shouldn't "proposed" require subjunctive mood here: proposed + that + be?
In what cases can we ommit this rule? Thanks

You're thinking of one particular trigger for the subjunctive mood: "bossy verb" + "that." Examples might include "recommended that" or "required that" or "demanded that." All of these would require the use of subjunctive.

But if we don't have the word "that," there's no need for the subjunctive. It's perfectly acceptable to have "proposed" + "noun," as we do in the OA here. These, for example, are totally fine:

  • Tim proposed an equitable solution to the problem.
  • Governor Hickenlooper proposed groundbreaking legislation that would offer free carne asada burritos to GMAT tutors in Colorado.

I hope that helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 29 Dec 2017
Posts: 383
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 13:23
GMATNinja wrote:
But if we don't have the word "that," there's no need for the subjunctive. It's perfectly acceptable to have "proposed" + "noun," as we do in the OA here. These, for example, are totally fine:

  • Tim proposed an equitable solution to the problem.
  • Governor Hickenlooper proposed groundbreaking legislation that would offer free carne asada burritos to GMAT tutors in Colorado.

I hope that helps!


Hi GMATNinja,
Thanks for your response. It became clearer now. Yet I have 2 questions:

1. Does "bossy verb" + "noun" formula work with any verb from the list: demand, suggest, request, recommend, stipulate, mandate, insist, and dictate?

2. In some cases, such as "report suggests that the Earth was..." or " we don't use subjunctive. How to recognize the pattern in which "that" exists, but subjunctive is not required? Any other verbs from the list above can follow the pattern?

Regards
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2028
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 15:14
2
Hero8888 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
But if we don't have the word "that," there's no need for the subjunctive. It's perfectly acceptable to have "proposed" + "noun," as we do in the OA here. These, for example, are totally fine:

  • Tim proposed an equitable solution to the problem.
  • Governor Hickenlooper proposed groundbreaking legislation that would offer free carne asada burritos to GMAT tutors in Colorado.

I hope that helps!


Hi GMATNinja,
Thanks for your response. It became clearer now. Yet I have 2 questions:

1. Does "bossy verb" + "noun" formula work with any verb from the list: demand, suggest, request, recommend, stipulate, mandate, insist, and dictate?

2. In some cases, such as "report suggests that the Earth was..." or " we don't use subjunctive. How to recognize the pattern in which "that" exists, but subjunctive is not required? Any other verbs from the list above can follow the pattern?

Regards


1. For the most part, yes: you can use most of those verbs with just a noun. Here, have some more examples: "The teacher demanded silence." "I recommend the avocado tuna roll with just a hint of wasabi." (Mmm... avocado tuna rolls.) I suppose there are also some situations in which you'd need a preposition before the noun: "Tim insisted on the purple drapes." The broader point is that English is incredibly flexible and complicated - all of the verbs in that list can be used in ways other than to introduce the subjunctive mood.

2. "Suggest" has multiple meanings. It could be used to mean "recommend," or "propose", and in those situations, "suggest" may introduce the subjunctive the same way another "bossy verb" might. But it could also be used to mean "express" or "implies," in which case, it wouldn't be so bossy anymore, and the subjunctive wouldn't be called for.

But there's no reason to devote much brain space to absorbing this idea. Consider a similar example to the one you offered: "The report suggests that the Earth was unusually hot last year." Surely it doesn't make any sense to write, "The report suggests that the Earth be unusually hot..." The report isn't telling the Earth what to do!

Put another way, we can't just go on autopilot, scan the sentence, and look for words that necessitate the use of the subjunctive. We have to understand the meaning of the sentence and use context clues to determine what construction is best. That may not be a terribly satisfying answer, but it's true.

Here's the bigger takeaway: I insist that you be careful about relying too much on rote memorization! (See what I did there?) The subjunctive shows up occasionally on the GMAT, but it's relatively rare. If you were to try to memorize a list of bossy verbs, then attempt to internalize all the exceptions for when the subjunctive shouldn't be used, and repeat this process for every issue you could possibly encounter on an SC question, your head is going to explode. (At least mine would.) The better approach is to use logic and context, coupled with a limited collection of truly essential grammar concepts, to determine what construction works best.

I hope this helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Bot
Re: QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jun 2018, 15:14

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

QOTD: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.