It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4686

Kudos [?]: 17652 [1], given: 1986

Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 15:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:25) correct 48% (01:47) wrong based on 380 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 85: Critical Reasoning


Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here


Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising sales force. Before reorganization, the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions. The reorganization attempted to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses by having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing. After the reorganization, revenue from advertising sales increased.

In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be most helpful to find out which of the following EXCEPT:

(A) Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Time's total revenue was generated by advertising sales

(B) Has the circulation of the Greenville Times increased substantially in the last two years

(C) Has there been a substantial turnover in personnel in the advertising sales force over the last 2 years

(D) Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?

(E) Has the economy in Greenville and the surrounding regions been growing rapidly over the last two years?

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17652 [1], given: 1986

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1172

Kudos [?]: 1881 [3], given: 452

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 15:04
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Let's make sure we understand the given information:

  • The Greenville Times (GT) had several years of declining advertising sales. During that time, "the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions."
  • Then, GT reorganized its advertising sales force by "having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing." The goal of this reorganization was "to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses."
  • After the reorganization, revenue from advertising sales increased.

Was the subsequent increase in revenue from advertising sales a result of the reorganization? In answering that question, it would be helpful to find out each of the following EXCEPT (in other words, eliminate choices representing information that would be helpful):

Quote:
(A) Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Time's total revenue was generated by advertising sales

We are trying to explain an increase in revenue from advertising sales, not a change to the proportion of GT's total revenue generated by advertising sales. This information would be irrelevant, so keep choice (A).

Quote:
(B) Has the circulation of the Greenville Times increased substantially in the last two years

If the circulation of GT had increased substantially, we would expect that revenue from advertising sales would have also increased, regardless of whether the reorganization had any effect. Knowing this information would be helpful in determining whether the increase in revenue from advertising sales was a result of the reorganization, so eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) Has there been a substantial turnover in personnel in the advertising sales force over the last 2 years

If GT replaced many of their sales representatives, then the increase in revenue from advertising sales could have been a result of the change in personnel and NOT a result of the reorganization (i.e. perhaps the new sales representatives were better at their jobs than the old representatives were). Knowing this information would be helpful, so eliminate (C).

Quote:
D. Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?

The goal of this reorganization was "to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses." In other words, rather than having to deal with a wide variety of businesses in a given geography, perhaps representatives could then thoroughly study one type of industry or retailing. This might allow the representatives to increase their knowledge of their clients' businesses.

However, what if, prior to the reorganization, the sales representatives had NOT found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they were assigned? In that case, the apparent benefit of the reorganization would have been unnecessary, and the reorganization probably would not have had an effect on revenue from advertising sales. Knowing this information would be helpful, so eliminate (D).

Quote:
E. Has the economy in Greenville and the surrounding regions been growing rapidly over the last two years?

A growth in the economy in Greenville might explain the increase in revenue from advertising sales. In order to rule out this possibility, it would be helpful to find out the answer to this question, so eliminate (E).

(A) is the best answer.
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1881 [3], given: 452

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
G
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1082

Kudos [?]: 81 [1], given: 541

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Re: QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 20:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
The answer is A
This is a very good question so let's analyse each option but first note that it is except question.
A correct .
We do not need this information
The proportion might have remained the same or changed we do not know .
If the revenue was 100 dollars and sales from advertising was 50 dollars but today sales from advertising is still at 50 dollars and the total revenue is 75 so we see that the proportion changes but we can not conclusively infer anything from this .
B If the circulation increased then the revenue from advertising can be deducted .
C this is also relevent .
As it shows that reorganization was vital for the increase in revenue.
D yes this would show that the increase was due to reorganization.
E this would also help reorganization as people with more money would buy more after seeing advertising .

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 81 [1], given: 541

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2017
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Re: QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 20:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
sandy217 wrote:
Is it A

Did you choose A based on this example
If advertising contribute 200dollars to 20 percent of total revenue of 1000 dollars
After reorganization advertising contributed 400 dollars which is again 20 percent of revenue of 2000 dollar
If Revenue generation from all departments increased along with advertising

Sent from my XT1706 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jul 2014
Posts: 136

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge
Re: QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 10:53
GMATNinja wrote:
Let's make sure we understand the given information:

  • The Greenville Times (GT) had several years of declining advertising sales. During that time, "the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions."
  • Then, GT reorganized its advertising sales force by "having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing." The goal of this reorganization was "to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses."
  • After the reorganization, revenue from advertising sales increased.

Was the subsequent increase in revenue from advertising sales a result of the reorganization? In answering that question, it would be helpful to find out each of the following EXCEPT (in other words, eliminate choices representing information that would be helpful):

Quote:
(A) Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Time's total revenue was generated by advertising sales

We are trying to explain an increase in revenue from advertising sales, not a change to the proportion of GT's total revenue generated by advertising sales. This information would be irrelevant, so keep choice (A).

Quote:
(B) Has the circulation of the Greenville Times increased substantially in the last two years

If the circulation of GT had increased substantially, we would expect that revenue from advertising sales would have also increased, regardless of whether the reorganization had any effect. Knowing this information would be helpful in determining whether the increase in revenue from advertising sales was a result of the reorganization, so eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) Has there been a substantial turnover in personnel in the advertising sales force over the last 2 years

If GT replaced many of their sales representatives, then the increase in revenue from advertising sales could have been a result of the change in personnel and NOT a result of the reorganization (i.e. perhaps the new sales representatives were better at their jobs than the old representatives were). Knowing this information would be helpful, so eliminate (C).

Quote:
D. Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?

The goal of this reorganization was "to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses." In other words, rather than having to deal with a wide variety of businesses in a given geography, perhaps representatives could then thoroughly study one type of industry or retailing. This might allow the representatives to increase their knowledge of their clients' businesses.

However, what if, prior to the reorganization, the sales representatives had NOT found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they were assigned? In that case, the apparent benefit of the reorganization would have been unnecessary, and the reorganization probably would not have had an effect on revenue from advertising sales. Knowing this information would be helpful, so eliminate (D).

Quote:
E. Has the economy in Greenville and the surrounding regions been growing rapidly over the last two years?

A growth in the economy in Greenville might explain the increase in revenue from advertising sales. In order to rule out this possibility, it would be helpful to find out the answer to this question, so eliminate (E).

(A) is the best answer.


Why to assume that The Greenville Times (GT) is being circulated near The Greenville city - former is a name of a magazine, later is a city....
I opted E because of this assumption...
GMATNinja could you please help me to resolve this puzzle...
_________________

A lot needs to be learned from all of you.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
B
Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 185

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 48

Re: QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 14:33
PradeepGMT wrote:
Why to assume that The Greenville Times (GT) is being circulated near The Greenville city - former is a name of a magazine, later is a city....
I opted E because of this assumption...
GMATNinja could you please help me to resolve this puzzle...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The GMAT will not try to trick you on something like this (i.e. "Well the NEWSPAPER was called the Greenville Times, but it was actually circulated in New York City, so ha!"). That is not their style :)

Because no other city or region is mentioned in the passage, you can safely assume that the Greenville times is circulated in Greenville.
_________________

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 48

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 20:29
I think A is wrong.

Clearly it was mentioned that several years ago SALES were less, but not the revenue. and now it was mentioned that REVENUE is increased. So clearly we need to evaluate the revenue of two years back with revenue of now, which is option A.

where did i get wrong?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 21:02
GMATNinja wrote:
Let's make sure we understand the given information:

  • The Greenville Times (GT) had several years of declining advertising sales. During that time, "the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions."
  • Then, GT reorganized its advertising sales force by "having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing." The goal of this reorganization was "to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses."
  • After the reorganization, revenue from advertising sales increased.

Was the subsequent increase in revenue from advertising sales a result of the reorganization? In answering that question, it would be helpful to find out each of the following EXCEPT (in other words, eliminate choices representing information that would be helpful):

Quote:
(A) Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Time's total revenue was generated by advertising sales

We are trying to explain an increase in revenue from advertising sales, not a change to the proportion of GT's total revenue generated by advertising sales. This information would be irrelevant, so keep choice (A).

Quote:
(B) Has the circulation of the Greenville Times increased substantially in the last two years

If the circulation of GT had increased substantially, we would expect that revenue from advertising sales would have also increased, regardless of whether the reorganization had any effect. Knowing this information would be helpful in determining whether the increase in revenue from advertising sales was a result of the reorganization, so eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) Has there been a substantial turnover in personnel in the advertising sales force over the last 2 years

If GT replaced many of their sales representatives, then the increase in revenue from advertising sales could have been a result of the change in personnel and NOT a result of the reorganization (i.e. perhaps the new sales representatives were better at their jobs than the old representatives were). Knowing this information would be helpful, so eliminate (C).

Quote:
D. Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?

The goal of this reorganization was "to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses." In other words, rather than having to deal with a wide variety of businesses in a given geography, perhaps representatives could then thoroughly study one type of industry or retailing. This might allow the representatives to increase their knowledge of their clients' businesses.

However, what if, prior to the reorganization, the sales representatives had NOT found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they were assigned? In that case, the apparent benefit of the reorganization would have been unnecessary, and the reorganization probably would not have had an effect on revenue from advertising sales. Knowing this information would be helpful, so eliminate (D).

Quote:
E. Has the economy in Greenville and the surrounding regions been growing rapidly over the last two years?

A growth in the economy in Greenville might explain the increase in revenue from advertising sales. In order to rule out this possibility, it would be helpful to find out the answer to this question, so eliminate (E).

(A) is the best answer.




I think A is wrong.

Clearly it was mentioned that several years ago SALES were less, but not the revenue. and now it was mentioned that REVENUE is increased. So clearly we need to evaluate the revenue of two years back with revenue of now, which is option A.

where did i get wrong?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 40

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Location: India
GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE: Web Development (Energy and Utilities)
Re: QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 23:41
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
PradeepGMT wrote:
Why to assume that The Greenville Times (GT) is being circulated near The Greenville city - former is a name of a magazine, later is a city....
I opted E because of this assumption...
GMATNinja could you please help me to resolve this puzzle...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The GMAT will not try to trick you on something like this (i.e. "Well the NEWSPAPER was called the Greenville Times, but it was actually circulated in New York City, so ha!"). That is not their style :)

Because no other city or region is mentioned in the passage, you can safely assume that the Greenville times is circulated in Greenville.


I am confused between A and E.
I don't know what "Greenville" refers. It is the city or newspaper. If it refers to city, we can say that this information is not useful in evaluating.
If E statement were restructured as below, I would easily eliminate E.
E. Has the economy in Greenville Times been growing rapidly over the last two years?
_________________

-Yuvaraj
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Stop searching someone to motivate you.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1172

Kudos [?]: 1881 [1], given: 452

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 20:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
imyuva wrote:
I am confused between A and E.
I don't know what "Greenville" refers. It is the city or newspaper. If it refers to city, we can say that this information is not useful in evaluating.
If E statement were restructured as below, I would easily eliminate E.
E. Has the economy in Greenville Times been growing rapidly over the last two years?

Greenville is the name of both the newspaper and the town.... just like the New York Times is a newspaper serving the New York region.

gvrk_77 wrote:
I think A is wrong.

Clearly it was mentioned that several years ago SALES were less, but not the revenue. and now it was mentioned that REVENUE is increased. So clearly we need to evaluate the revenue of two years back with revenue of now, which is option A.

where did i get wrong?

Quote:
(A) Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Time's total revenue was generated by advertising sales

If advertising SALES were declining, then revenue from advertising sales was declining. "Sales" does not refer to the number of transactions. Rather, it refers to how much money they took in by selling ads. If you aren't convinced, the question stem itself confirms that ad sales have improved: "In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales." You don't need to worry about scenarios that contradict the question stem itself.

So we can confidently assume that ad sales have been better since the reorganization, and we need to evaluate whether the reorganization caused that improvement. Knowing choice (A) wouldn't help us. Let's say I told you that two years ago, 75% of GT's revenue came from ad sales... does that help you evaluate whether the reorganization caused the improvement? Nope, so eliminate (A).
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1881 [1], given: 452

Re: QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 20:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

QOTD: Following several years of declining advertising sales

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.