It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:01

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: However much United States voters

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18059 [0], given: 1991

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: However much United States voters [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 09:48
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (00:45) correct 43% (00:57) wrong based on 486 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 44: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.

(A) However much United States voters may agree that

(B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact

(C) Although United States voters agree

(D) Even though United States voters may agree

(E) There is agreement among United States voters that

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18059 [0], given: 1991

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2033 [2], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: However much United States voters [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This one is an absolute classic, and possibly the question that has given my students the most trouble over the years, partly because it shows up right at the beginning of the verbal guide, and it might be a GMAT test-taker’s first exposure to this particular set of issues.

We also covered this particular question during our YouTube live chat, so if you prefer to get your SC via video, click here. And some of the issues with “that” are also discussed in our recent Topic of the Week on “that.”

But ideally, the first thing you should notice here is the parallelism marker “and”. Yeah, “and” isn’t underlined – but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t important. Notice that the phrase “that the government as a whole spends beyond its means…” follows the “and” – so we’ll need to find something that’s parallel to that phrase.

Basically, we’ll need another phrase starting with “that.”

Quote:

Ugh, “however much voters may agree” – I think that sounds crappy and awkward. But guess what? Nobody cares what I think, and what "sounds right" and what is right aren't necessarily the same on the GMAT. So you always want to ask yourself: is this wrong, or just crappy?

It’s just crappy-sounding, and that’s not a crime. The parallelism is correct here, since “that” follows “however much voters may agree.” So voters may agree on two things: 1) that there is waste in government, and 2) that the government… spends beyond its means. The parallelism is wonderfully clear here.

And I sometimes hear people worry that "much" is wrong, because "much" can only modify non-countable nouns, and "United States voters" are countable. But in this case, "however much" isn't modifying the number of voters -- it's modifying the verb phrase "voters may agree", so you don't have to worry about the countable vs. non-countable business here.

So we can keep (A).

Quote:

Nothing is parallel to “that the government as a whole spends beyond its means.” Eliminate (B).

Quote:

Same parallelism error as in (B). Plus, I’m not sure that the meaning really works here… but we’ll talk about that more when we get to (E). (C) is gone.

Quote:

This one sounds great… but we don’t care about “sound.” The parallelism is wrong, just as in (B) and (C). Eliminate (D).

Quote:

Parallelism is perfectly fine here, just as in (A).

But the big problem with (E) is a little bit tougher to spot: it’s a comma splice, featuring two independent clauses (“There is agreement…” and “it is difficult to find broad support…”), connected by just a comma. So (E) is gone.

We could also argue that (E) doesn’t really make much sense in terms of meaning: (E) says that there is definitely agreement, but it’s still difficult to find broad support for a minimal state. That’s potentially contradictory, in some sense. (A) arguably makes a little bit more sense, since it’s indicating some uncertainty with “however much”: regardless of the exact amount of the agreement, it’s difficult to find broad support for a minimal state. That seems more reasonable to me than (E).

But whatever. Parallelism errors in (B), (C), and (D), and a comma splice in (E). (A) wins, even without giving any thought to meaning.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2033 [2], given: 462

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 457

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 09:53
C...although voters agree...it is difficult to find broad support

However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 457

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
A due to 'that'
E changes meaning

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 317

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
I'll go with option A

Clue 1 :- "it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state" hence no agreement has been made, which eliminates B,C and E
Clue 2 :- parallelism "that there is waste..... and that the government as a whole spends....."

Good question!!!

I'm just a hiker who is trying to conquer "GMAT Everest" and asking stupid questions!!!

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 317

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 106

Schools: ISB '19 (I), IIMA (I)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Marketing (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 16:14
A

Parallelism is best taken care of in A.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 106

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 41

Schools: Fuqua
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.21
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 16:35
There is a parallelism issue here, there is that out of highlited part.

(A) However much United States voters may agree that correct answer
(B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact - misses that, parallelism issue
(C) Although United States voters agree - same as B
(D) Even though United States voters may agree - same as B
(E) There is agreement among United States voters that - no grammar issue (except for missed an before agreement but I don't think GMAT tests that) , but wordy and passive and therefore A is preferred

If you find my solution useful, hit the "Kudos" button

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 41

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 18:45
(A) However much United States voters may agree that -Correct.
(B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact - AGREE TO is idiomatically incorrect. Moreover, THAT is required to join a clause. Hence incorrect.
(C) Although United States voters agree - THAT is required to join a clause. Hence incorrect.
(D) Even though United States voters may agree - THAT is required to join a clause. Hence incorrect.
(E) There is agreement among United States voters that - This sentence leads to a RUN-ON sentence. Moreover, use of THERE is not highlighting the contradiction. Hence Incorrect

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 122

GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 19:02
Option A

B,C & D have parallelism errors

E has run on error, two ICs are joined by a ,

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 122

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 20:08
Please explain why the A.... because much is used with non countable nouns while voters are countable noun.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 24

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 23:10
Note that there is "that" in the non-underlined portion of the statement, so we need "that" in the underlined portion as well, to maintain parallelism. This eliminates options B, C, and D. In option E, there is no contrast shown, whereas in option A, the use of the word "however" presents the required contrast. Therefore option A id the correct answer.
Thanks

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 24

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8327 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 04:02
Top Contributor
This topic tests two facts namely 1. the parallel structure of the introducer 'that' and 2. the meaning of 'may agree'.
1. Because there is the introducer 'that' in the non-underlined part, one is compelled by parallelism to use 'that' in the underlined part too. We may eliminate choices B, C, and D for not obeying that rule.
Between A and E, the original text uses the word 'may agree", a sort of speculation while E claims certainty by saying that there is agreement, substantially differing from the original intent.
A is the correct choice.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2033 [0], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 09:11
kedarsharma wrote:
Please explain why the A.... because much is used with non countable nouns while voters are countable noun.

Please see my explanation above, kedarsharma. I edited it to address your question. :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2033 [0], given: 462

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1064 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 10:09
(A) However much United States voters may agree that - Correct
(B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact - Parallelism - that is missing
(C) Although United States voters agree - Parallelism - that is missing
(D) Even though United States voters may agree - Parallelism - that is missing
(E) There is agreement among United States voters that - meaning changed - there is a certain degree of uncertainty in original statement because of may agree
Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1064 [0], given: 90

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 10:19
Top Contributor
Skywalker18
You mean the answer is 'A' as you marked it as the correct answer and you said that the meaning is changed in E.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 199

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 10:23

(A) However much United States voters may agree that - Correct - Parallelism is correct in this sentence
(B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact = Missing "that" causing parallelism error
(C) Although United States voters agree = Missing "that" causing parallelism error
(D) Even though United States voters may agree = Missing "that" causing parallelism error
(E) There is agreement among United States voters that = Changes the meaning slightly, expresses more certainty as compared to may in the option A, E is incorrect

Hence, Answer is A

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 199

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 93

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 18:33
As every one rightly pointed that there is competition between A and E. Even though if we don't identify E as run on sentence then also we can easily strike out E if we understand the meaning of the sentence. Main sentence uses the word "MAY' that means possibility but in Option E Possibility is lost and it says *There is....", use of is means certainty.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 93

Re: QOTD: However much United States voters   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2017, 18:33

QOTD: However much United States voters

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap