GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 08:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

QOTD: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge
Re: QOTD: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 10:13
A very good question, and certainly hard one to solve under 3 minutes...
Dear GMATNinja / GMATNinjaTwo Any tips how to save time in such questions?

A lot needs to be learned from all of you.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 16:19
DAakash7 wrote:
A very good question, and certainly hard one to solve under 3 minutes...
Dear GMATNinja / GMATNinjaTwo Any tips how to save time in such questions?

Sadly, there aren't really any magic bullets that will make you faster at CR, other than just getting better at reading passages in general -- and making sure that you're being efficient in your approach to questions.

This article doesn't directly address speed all that much, but it'll give you an idea of how to think optimally about CR, and start to build some good habits: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 43170.html. In particular, some people end up answering questions more slowly when they fail to invest enough time in the passages themselves. If you move on to the answer choices before you've fully understood the passage itself, you'll waste a ton of time going back and forth between the answer choices and the passage.

I'm not sure whether that applies to you, but it's a problem that we see fairly often. And if you try to "save time" by reading the passage faster, it can work against you: you'll make more errors, and you'll waste time spinning your wheels on the answer choices.

And if you're simply cursed with a slow reading speed, CR can be really tough, but you'll get stronger at reading them with enough practice.

Sorry that I can't offer anything more concrete to speed you up! It's one of the annoying things about the GMAT: CR and RC just don't give us a lot of room for shortcuts, sadly.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 16:20
Oh, and one other thing I should have said, DAakash7: this particular passage is pretty tough, so there's no shame in taking some extra time on it. :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
QOTD: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 10:56
Quote:
Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville creates unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.

Milville business spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in winter months, to the great financial benefit of many local residents. So, economics dictate that we put up with the pollution.

Environmentalist: I disagree: A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.

Environmentalist responds to the business spokesperson by doing which of the following?

A) Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome can derive from only one set of circumstances.

B) Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome is outweighed by negative aspects associated with producing that outcome.

C) Maintaining that the benefit that the spokesperson desires could be achieved in greater degree by a different means.

D) Claiming that the spokesperson is deliberately misrepresenting the environmentalist’s position in order to be better able to attack it.

E) Denying that an effect that the spokesperson presents as having benefited a certain group of people actually benefited those people.

Taking the question and answer choices verbatim, I would choose A. (Others have commented on why C, D and E can be eliminated so I will focus on why option B can be eliminated.)

If B is indeed the correct answer as per an official solution, then I think that answer choice B may have been transcribed incorrectly from source material.

Here's why I think that B can be eliminated, if we take the answer choices from the original post verbatim. Given the question is focused on how the environmentalist responds to the business spokesperson, we can deduce that the "assumption" that is referenced in option B refers to that made by the business spokesperson. However, in his/her statement, the business spokesperson never makes the assumption that a "certain desirable outcome" (i.e., financial benefit) is outweighed by "negative aspects" (i.e., pollution). In fact, the business person claims the opposite to be true - he believes that the desirable outcome of financial benefit outweighs the negative aspects of pollution.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 19:41
iceman1212 wrote:
Taking the question and answer choices verbatim, I would choose A. (Others have commented on why C, D and E can be eliminated so I will focus on why option B can be eliminated.)

If B is indeed the correct answer as per an official solution, then I think that answer choice B may have been transcribed incorrectly from source material.

Here's why I think that B can be eliminated, if we take the answer choices from the original post verbatim. Given the question is focused on how the environmentalist responds to the business spokesperson, we can deduce that the "assumption" that is referenced in option B refers to that made by the business spokesperson. However, in his/her statement, the business spokesperson never makes the assumption that a "certain desirable outcome" (i.e., financial benefit) is outweighed by "negative aspects" (i.e., pollution). In fact, the business person claims the opposite to be true - he believes that the desirable outcome of financial benefit outweighs the negative aspects of pollution.

Quote:
B) Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome is outweighed by negative aspects associated with producing that outcome.

Yes, the business person does claim that the desirable outcome of financial benefit outweighs the negative outcome of higher air pollution. But there are two potential desirable outcomes: financial benefits and LOWER pollution levels.

The business spokesperson would agree that lowering pollution is a desirable outcome. But the spokesperson believes that the benefit of lowering pollution is outweighed by the financial cost of lowering pollution. In other words, the business person believes that lowering pollution (i.e. a "certain desirable outcome") is outweighed by the loss of financial benefit (i.e. the negative aspects associated with lowering pollution). This fits perfectly with choice (B).

As for (A), as described in the original explanation,

Quote:
A) Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome can derive from only one set of circumstances.

First, what are the "desirable outcomes" referenced in this passage? 1) financial benefit to local residents and 2) less air pollution. Where do those "desirable outcomes" come from? 1) from bringing in out-of-towners (ie snowmobilers or cross-country skiers) and 2) from banning snowmobiling.

Notice that the spokesperson's argument does not require the assumption that either desirable outcome comes from only one set of circumstances. The spokesperson simply notes that snowmobiling brings in out-of-towners which creates a financial benefit, he/she does not imply that this is the only way to achieve that benefit. The environmentalist does not challenge this assumption because the spokesperson never makes that assumption. Choice (A) can be eliminated.

Choice (B) is the best answer. I hope that helps! And more importantly: welcome to GMAT Club!!!

Need an expert reply?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 22:28
GMATNinja Thanks for the clarification - it makes sense to me now. Although the spokesperson doesn't explicitly refer to lower pollution as a benefit, I agree that he/she implies as much because of the language used ("put up with").
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V50
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 14:06
This one had me thinking for a bit. I was confused between B and E. In the end, I chose B because no one was denying what the other person was saying.

If you can dream it, you can do it.

Intern
Intern
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 05:58
warriorguy wrote:
Tough one but will go with option B.

Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome (great financial benefit from Snowmobiling) is outweighed by negative aspects (noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate keep many cross-country skiers away from the town) associated with producing that outcome.

The guy may mean that thought there are several other ways of economic benefit but motorballing may be the major and thus its absence can cause economic concerns.
And when the environmentalist says that he disagrees and points out another revenue stream, he is not saying that the other guy falsely assumed that it's only motoballing that can bring revenue He is actually saying that the negative aspect of banning (absence of motor-balling) wouldn't outweigh the desired outcome as then another revenue stream opens up and in doing so he challenges the same assumption given in option (B)

GMATNINJA let me know if i am along the right line of thinking.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 15:06
ash091109 wrote:
warriorguy wrote:
Tough one but will go with option B.

Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome (great financial benefit from Snowmobiling) is outweighed by negative aspects (noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate keep many cross-country skiers away from the town) associated with producing that outcome.

The guy may mean that thought there are several other ways of economic benefit but motorballing may be the major and thus its absence can cause economic concerns.
And when the environmentalist says that he disagrees and points out another revenue stream, he is not saying that the other guy falsely assumed that it's only motoballing that can bring revenue He is actually saying that the negative aspect of banning (absence of motor-balling) wouldn't outweigh the desired outcome as then another revenue stream opens up and in doing so he challenges the same assumption given in option (B)

GMATNINJA let me know if i am along the right line of thinking.

Thanks ash091109 for your reply!

I think you are on the right track when you wrote this: "He is actually saying that the negative aspect of banning (absence of motor-balling) wouldn't outweigh the desired outcome as then another revenue stream opens up and in doing so he challenges the same assumption given in option (B)..."

The desired outcome in this case is less air pollution. In order to achieve that outcome, the town would have to ban snowmobiling. The negative aspect of this ban would be a loss of great financial benefit to the locals. According to the business spokesperson, having less air pollution (desired outcome) is outweighed by negative aspects associated with producing that outcome (loss of financial benefit).

The environmentalist challenges this assumption. The financial loss would not be so great because, if snowmobiling is banned, there would be additional revenue from the cross-country skiers.

I hope this helps!

Need an expert reply?

Re: QOTD: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jun 2018, 15:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

QOTD: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap