It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 04:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 16

Re: QOTD: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 08:01
RaguramanS wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:

Dear SravnaTestPrep
I believe Option E is too narrow to choose

E) Denying that an effect that the spokesperson presents as having benefited a certain group of people actually benefited those people.

An effect: Financial gain
Certain group of people: the out of towners or local residents
those people: the the out of towners or local residents

1.Option E says The Environmentalist responds to spokesperson by disagreeing the fact that financial benefit the out of towners had actually benefiited the out of towners

2.Option E says The Environmentalist responds to spokesperson by disagreeing the fact that financial benefit the local residents had actually benefiited the the local residents

In the option Certain group of people and those peole can be either the out of towners or local residents cant be both

If the option E could have been as follows then, it might be correct

Option E says The Environmentalist responds to spokesperson by disagreeing the fact that financial benefit that out of towners brought to local residents had actually benefited the the local residents

Please correct me if my thought process doesnt align with the context.

Dear Raguraman,

Thanks for responding. My understanding says that both certain group of people and those people refer to the local residents because of the context. The argument you might see is about the benefit to the local residents. So the reference is to the local residents.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com/regularcourse.php

Pay After Use
Standardized Approaches

Expert Post
Director
Director
B

QOTD: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 14:56
Folks,

I generally have a problem with many of the assumption questions. A true assumption should strictly follow given the premises and the conclusion. As I pointed out ignorance of facts or at the other extreme knowledge of more facts than the opponent can also be the cases instead of the supposed assumption.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com/regularcourse.php

Pay After Use
Standardized Approaches

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge
Re: QOTD: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 10:13
A very good question, and certainly hard one to solve under 3 minutes...
Dear GMATNinja / GMATNinjaTwo Any tips how to save time in such questions?

A lot needs to be learned from all of you.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1597 [0], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 16:19
DAakash7 wrote:
A very good question, and certainly hard one to solve under 3 minutes...
Dear GMATNinja / GMATNinjaTwo Any tips how to save time in such questions?

Sadly, there aren't really any magic bullets that will make you faster at CR, other than just getting better at reading passages in general -- and making sure that you're being efficient in your approach to questions.

This article doesn't directly address speed all that much, but it'll give you an idea of how to think optimally about CR, and start to build some good habits: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 43170.html. In particular, some people end up answering questions more slowly when they fail to invest enough time in the passages themselves. If you move on to the answer choices before you've fully understood the passage itself, you'll waste a ton of time going back and forth between the answer choices and the passage.

I'm not sure whether that applies to you, but it's a problem that we see fairly often. And if you try to "save time" by reading the passage faster, it can work against you: you'll make more errors, and you'll waste time spinning your wheels on the answer choices.

And if you're simply cursed with a slow reading speed, CR can be really tough, but you'll get stronger at reading them with enough practice.

Sorry that I can't offer anything more concrete to speed you up! It's one of the annoying things about the GMAT: CR and RC just don't give us a lot of room for shortcuts, sadly.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 16:20
Oh, and one other thing I should have said, DAakash7: this particular passage is pretty tough, so there's no shame in taking some extra time on it. :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Re: QOTD: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2017, 16:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

QOTD: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap