GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 28 May 2018, 02:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy broadcast spec

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy broadcast spec [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 02:04
prateek176 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
perfectstranger1 wrote:
Dear Karishma ,

I will ask why D is wrong. D clearly states that if the owners have no way to get RDS information without RDS radios, then the conlusion is clear. What if there are other ways to obtain this information. I also choose A ,however I am little confused about that choice.

Gist of what D says: No RDS enabled radio meant no RDS program reception from later radio stations.
Conclusion of the argument: Number of people receiving RDS program did not increase significantly in 1996.

We have to consider whether D is an assumption. An assumption is a necessary missing premise. If the assumption is not true, the conclusion cannot be true. Let's negate the assumption. Then we will whether the conclusion can still hold.

Negated D: Even without RDS enabled radios, people could receive RDS programs from later radio stations.
Can the conclusion still hold true? Sure. If people can receive RDS programs without an RDS radio (e.g. at friends/neighbors etc) from later stations, these people could have received RDS programs in the same way before 1996 too. So number of people receiving RDS programs could have stayed the same. Since the conclusion can still hold even if D is negated, D is not an assumption.

VeritasPrepKarishma , mikemcgarry

Option D clearly means that we are negating the premise which i think isn't permissible in GMAT. Is my reasoning accurate?

Could you elaborate your reasoning? (D) does not negate any premise.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy broadcast spec [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 08:35
prateek176 wrote:

Gist of what D says: No RDS enabled radio meant no RDS program reception from later radio stations.
Conclusion of the argument: Number of people receiving RDS program did not increase significantly in 1996.

We have to consider whether D is an assumption. An assumption is a necessary missing premise. If the assumption is not true, the conclusion cannot be true. Let's negate the assumption. Then we will whether the conclusion can still hold.

Negated D: Even without RDS enabled radios, people could receive RDS programs from later radio stations.
Can the conclusion still hold true? Sure. If people can receive RDS programs without an RDS radio (e.g. at friends/neighbors etc) from later stations, these people could have received RDS programs in the same way before 1996 too. So number of people receiving RDS programs could have stayed the same. Since the conclusion can still hold even if D is negated, D is not an assumption.

VeritasPrepKarishma , mikemcgarry

Option D clearly means that we are negating the premise which i think isn't permissible in GMAT. Is my reasoning accurate?

Could you elaborate your reasoning? (D) does not negate any premise.

VeritasPrepKarishma

The argument has 3 premises:

Premises:
-Only radios with RDS feature can receive programs of Radio stations with RDS technology
-Between 1994 and 1996, the number of RDS radio stations in Verdland increased from 250 to 600.
- the number of RDS-equipped radios in Verdland was about the same in 1996 as in 1994

Option D is stating the obvious which is why i eliminated D. Sorry I phrased my question incorrectly.

But is this reasoning correct?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy broadcast spec [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 05:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
prateek176 wrote:
The argument has 3 premises:

Premises:
-Only radios with RDS feature can receive programs of Radio stations with RDS technology
-Between 1994 and 1996, the number of RDS radio stations in Verdland increased from 250 to 600.
- the number of RDS-equipped radios in Verdland was about the same in 1996 as in 1994

Option D is stating the obvious which is why i eliminated D. Sorry I phrased my question incorrectly.

But is this reasoning correct?

Option (D) is not stating the obvious. The first premise and option (D) are different.
The first premise says that only those radios that have RDS capability can receive this special programming.
Option (D) says that PEOPLE who did not own RDS equipped radios in 1996 could not receive the special programming from the new stations.
People could access special programming through other people's radios too. So (D) is not the same as the first premise.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy broadcast spec   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2018, 05:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy broadcast spec

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap