GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 22:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

RAGCT 2015 Day 13: Over the last seven consecutive quarters

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
RAGCT 2015 Day 13: Over the last seven consecutive quarters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 12:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:10) correct 32% (01:23) wrong based on 541 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Over the last seven consecutive quarters the client base of Hauptkins Services has shrunk at a slower pace than Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, or Larkens Client Services, with the rate of contraction lessened to the extent that some analysts have returned to an optimistic bias for Hauptkins.

A) Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, or Larkens Client Services, with the rate of contraction lessened

B) the client base of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services, with the rate of contraction that has lessened

C) has Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services, and the rate of contraction has lessened

D) has that of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, or Larkens Client Services, and the rate of contraction lessening

E) the client bases of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services, and the rate of contraction has lessened

Day 13 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: RAGCT 2015 Day 13: Over the last seven consecutive quarters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 19:02
The client base of x has to be compared with the client bases of y, z etc; only B, D and E remain. Among them, D is a fragment and unparallel. In addition the verb should be ‘have’ rather than ‘has’.

Between B and E , E survives because of using the plural client ‘bases’ to denote the plural bases than the singular ‘base’ standing for the bases for several companies.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

General Discussion
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 08:35
took me just over a minute. at first look, stands out as the answer. But had to eliminate the rest. was easy to eliminate A and C and had to verify the 2nd half of the sentence to ensure which one was right.

A) Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, or Larkens Client Services, with the rate of contraction lessened
- comparison is incorrect, as we cannot compare client bases to the company name.
B) the client base of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services, with the rate of contraction that has lessened
- since multiple companies are involved, it should be client bases.
C) has Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services, and the rate of contraction has lessened
- same explanation as A, so rule out.
D) has that of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, or Larkens Client Services, and the rate of contraction lessening
- 'has that of' - had to read this twice. but does not make sense, probably 'that of' made more sense.
E) the client bases of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services, and the rate of contraction has lessened
- best choice as we are comparing client base of 1 company to client bases of many.
Day 13 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!
[/quote]

Please kudos if you find this post helpful. I am trying to unlock the tests :)

Intern
Intern
S
WE: Analyst (Internet and New Media)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 11:45
Over the last seven consecutive quarters the client base of Hauptkins Services has shrunk at a slower pace than Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, or Larkens Client Services, with the rate of contraction lessened to the extent that some analysts have returned to an optimistic bias for Hauptkins.

A) Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, or Larkens Client Services, with the rate of contraction lessened->comparison error

B) the client base of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services, with the rate of contraction that has lessened->comparison error

C) has Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services, and the rate of contraction has lessened->comparison error

D) has that of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, or Larkens Client Services, and the rate of contraction lessening-> not parallel

E) the client bases of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services, and the rate of contraction has lessened -> perfect

Labels :
Red ->comparison
Green ->with + noun+participle

The use of with+noun+participle threw me off a bit, but following link was very helpful (read it just a few days back!!):
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2015/with-noun- ... orrection/

Rgds,
Dhruva
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39
GRE 1: Q790 V650
GPA: 3.76
WE: Other (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 04:34

A) Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, or Larkens Client Services, with the rate of contraction lessened - wrong comparison between client base and company names, wrong conjunction "with"

B) the client base of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services, with the rate of contraction that has lessened - wrong conjunction "with"

C) has Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services, and the rate of contraction has lessened - wrong comparison between client base and company names.

D) has that of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, or Larkens Client Services, and the rate of contraction lessening - not parallel

E) the client bases of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services, and the rate of contraction has lessened - looks good
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 13:12
Again scanning made it simple

client base of ___ has ___than (to create a meaningful comparison we need client base and since there are three companies whose client bases are in question), only one choice has correct beginning, reading it complete no errors so bingo !!

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 05:21
Hi @VeritasPrepKarishma egmat

I need help in option A.
I think ellipsis is playing role here. Comparison is correct but we have 2 IC. So need conjunction. That's why eliminated A.

Over the last seven consecutive quarters the client base of Hauptkins Services has shrunk at a slower pace than (the client base of) Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, or Larkens Client Services, with the rate of contraction lessened to the extent that some analysts have returned to an optimistic bias for Hauptkins
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 01:13

Experts,

will you pls enlighten me out here.

As per my understanding, option E do have ambiguous comparison in absence of verb in 2nd entitity in comparison list. It can lead to below 2 meaning.

1. reduction of " client base of Hauptkins Services" has been compared to "client bases of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services"
2. reduction of " client base of Hauptkins Services" has been compared with reduction of "client bases of Inigo Services, Jauplaunkt Services, and Larkens Client Services"

As original sentence meant for the later meaning. SO 2nd half of clause should have a verb accompanied with it, as in option D.

In optioned D , where comparison issue has been corrected, I agree on clause followed by "and" is not parallel to other elements in list. So D is also not correct.

But in either case D looks to be better option than E in terms of correct comparison.

Pls suggest.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 06:53

daagh wrote:
The client base of x has to be compared with the client bases of y, z etc; only B, D and E remain. Among them, D is a fragment and unparallel. In addition the verb should be ‘have’ rather than ‘has’.

Between B and E , E survives because of using the plural client ‘bases’ to denote the plural bases than the singular ‘base’ standing for the bases for several companies.

daagh
Dont u think that this part of option B "with the rate of contraction that has lessened" is somewhat not preferable in gmat. In E its clear! Can you explain this further?

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 07:14
Top Contributor
Sananoor
When you are attempting A GMAT SC question, the first instinct should be to use the most visible hot spot and attack it. When you have such a substantial error in B in the form the singular 'base' than the plural ' bases,' then there is no need to delve into other things., I believe.

However, I agree with you that the prepositional modifier you have cited is less preferred because it is contextual and often implies some concrete or physical accompaniment.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 07:26
daagh wrote:
Sananoor
When you are attempting A GMAT SC question, the first instinct should be to use the most visible hot spot and attack it. When you have such a substantial error in B in the form the singular 'base' than the plural ' bases,' then there is no need to delve into other things., I believe.

However, I agree with you that the prepositional modifier you have cited is less preferred because it is contextual and often implies some concrete or physical accompaniment.

ThankYou Daagh, Your explanations always help us!

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

GMAT Club Bot
Re: RAGCT 2015 Day 13: Over the last seven consecutive quarters &nbs [#permalink] 07 Oct 2018, 07:26

RAGCT 2015 Day 13: Over the last seven consecutive quarters

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap