GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2019, 08:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Rather than continue to produce most of the items necessary for subsis

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Rather than continue to produce most of the items necessary for subsis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 02:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:18) correct 22% (01:12) wrong based on 116 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Rather than continue to produce most of the items necessary for subsistence, a growing number of farm families during the first decades of the nineteenth century began to specialize in the production of grain or cotton and to use the cash proceeds from selling their crops for buying necessities.

(A) selling their crops for buying
(B) the sales of their crops for buying
(C) their selling of crops so as to buy
(D) their selling crops for buying of
(E) the sale of their crops to buy

B
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: Rather than continue to produce most of the items necessary for subsis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 05:19
I am not sure about this one, but I'll go with E!

I'd rather live one day as a lion than 1000 years as a sheep!!
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Rather than continue to produce most of the items necessary for subsis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 06:07
Top Contributor
A simple issue of infinitive parallelism yet one of the important tenets of GMAT philosophy. A growing number of families began to specialize …and to use the proceeds to buy the necessities. Therefore, E the only one that displays the infinitives parallelly.

Why would 'to buy' be better than 'for buying'? The intention of the sales cannot be missed because they have a need to buy the staples now.
Why is C not correct? Because the correct form of idiom is not "so as to" but 'so x as to' at least as far as GMAT is concerned
G
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 06:15
daagh wrote:
A simple issue of infinitive parallelism yet one of the important tenets of GMAT philosophy. A growing number of families began to specialize …and to use the proceeds to buy the necessities. Therefore, E the only one that displays the infinitives parallelly.

Why would 'to buy' be better than 'for buying'? The intention of the sales cannot be missed because they have a need to buy the staples now.
Why is C not correct? Because the correct form of idiom is not "so as to" but 'so x as to' at least as far as GMAT is concerned

daagh Sir, how is “sale of their crops” different from “the sales of their crop”?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 06:18
I am clocking most SC questions under 1 min, but this one took 2. Not an easy one indeed.

First of all, "from their selling of" is BS. Preposition+ noun+ verbing is only correct when focus is on noun and not on the action (Verbing).

B has a subtle issue. "From the sales of their crops" Indicate that the farmers are selling their crops multiple times. It's just one time sale. Besides use X to Y is superior to use X for Y(IMO).

Between A&E, I will choose E for using noun form instead of verbing.

Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Rather than continue to produce most of the items necessary for subsis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 06:42
Top Contributor
eaka

Not critical to our issue here I suppose. Both in general may mean the same thing, becuase the singula 'sale' is also generic for the entire quantum of the value that the farmers receive. Both sale and sales eventually refer to theact of selling but we do not use 'selling' becuase it is no good style to use a gerund when there is a normal noun .
It is analagous to income and icomes as although alll of us have pour own incomes, we tend to say just income.
Nevertheless B is rejectable becuse of the use of 'for buying', which lacks the vim and vigor of the intention that the question would like to inculcate
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 06:55
daagh wrote:
eaka

Not critical to our issue here I suppose. Both in general may mean the same thing, becuase the singula 'sale' is also generic for the entire quantum of the value that the farmers receive. Both sale and sales eventually refer to theact of selling but we do not use 'selling' becuase it is no good style to use a gerund when there is a normal noun .
It is analagous to income and icomes as although alll of us have pour own incomes, we tend to say just income.
Nevertheless B is rejectable becuse of the use of 'for buying', which lacks the vim and vigor of the intention that the question would like to inculcate

Well understood. Thank you very much for clearing a doubt I had.

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 17:03
Can anyone here elaborate more about use of "to buy" instead of "for buying"?
In past I also done similar mistake. Even I raised query, but it was not addressed.
So need help now!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 03:01
gvij2017 wrote:
Can anyone here elaborate more about use of "to buy" instead of "for buying"?
In past I also done similar mistake. Even I raised query, but it was not addressed.
So need help now!

gvij2017 This article by e-gmat might be very helpful in addressing your doubt. Here is a link to it:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search-resul ... 0&ie=UTF-8

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Rather than continue to produce most of the items necessary for subsis   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2019, 03:01

Rather than continue to produce most of the items necessary for subsis

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics