Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

What is your answer?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [12]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [2]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Recent evaluation by fire-safety officials of people's reactions in a [#permalink]
GMATNinja would you agree fire being uncountable here? We often here California being ravaged by fires #GMATNinja
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: Recent evaluation by fire-safety officials of people's reactions in a [#permalink]
My vote is with B, C is awkward, "fires" is acceptable usage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Recent evaluation by fire-safety officials of people's reactions in a [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer C is not correct; answer B is correct. We know that evaluation is singular, so the second word must be confirms. So then the question is whether it should be “fire” or “fires”. It should be “fires,” as fire is a countable noun in this instance.

Since we are talking about a variety, this necessitates a multiple of fires. It may be different fire disasters, different types of fire, or simply different fire demonstrations as part of a study. Notice how in the previous sentence, I used “fire” to describe a variety, which in each case fire was merely an adjective describing “disasters” or “types”. In every case, we need to use a plural. You can have a single variety of fire or a wide variety of fires, but you cannot have a wide variety of fire because you cannot have a variety of an uncountable thing. (Variety means many types, meaning you have to be able to identify at least two...which is counting.)

Just to be clear: fire is countable. Please see the definition of the word and which meanings are countable and which ones are not. In this case, the meaning of fire is clearly countable (see number 3)

fire (countable and uncountable, plural fires)

1. (uncountable) A (usually self-sustaining) chemical reaction involving the bonding of oxygen with carbon or other fuel, with the production of heat and the presence of flame or smouldering.
2. (countable) An instance of this chemical reaction, especially when intentionally created and maintained in a specific location to a useful end (such as a campfire or a hearth fire). quotations ▼
We sat about the fire singing songs and telling tales.
3. (countable) The occurrence, often accidental, of fire in a certain place, causing damage and danger. quotations ▼

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by aloysiusgaul on 29 Aug 2020, 12:41.
Last edited by aloysiusgaul on 29 Aug 2020, 13:11, edited 3 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Fire is correct. Fires not correct. Plural form is not possible for uncountable noun.

Subject : recent evaluation.
Hence singular verb : confirms.

So C

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
Send PM
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
Fire is not a countable object here, so Fires Can't be used here eliminating option A , B and E
Since Fire is not the confirmation mentioned or discussed in the passage, Using "Fire is confirmation" is vauge.
Hence C is the best option.

will you pls suggest why it is fire and not fires.

when we talk about a variety then what comes after preposition "of" should define the group.
something like when we say
the best singer among the participants ________.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 337
Send PM
IMO C is the correct answer. Whenever we say “variety of” something, we actually write singlular nouns.

For eg - i have bought a variety of PEN

A singular thing can have different varieties.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Choice B appears, to me, to be the correct choice.

“A wide variety of fire” seems to reference a fire that is uncharacteristically wide, and that doesn’t make sense.

The word “variety”, in this case, is similar in meaning to the word “assortment”. The sentence isn’t referencing a particular kind of fire that happens to be wide. It’s describing a survey that polled peoples’ reactions to an assortment of fires. For example:

“I went to the market today and bought a huge variety of fruits and vegetables.”

“At the market, an eclectic farmer had an unusual variety of turnip.”

The word “fire”, as used in this example, should be countable.

“Of the 200 homes in this neighborhood, 7 were wired by the same terrible electrician. Because of this, these 7 homes burned down, between 2 and 5 years after construction ended, in separate house fires.”

In the above example, one wouldn’t say “...in separate house fire”.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Why is it "fire" and not "fires" , why is answer choice B incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I agree that fires should be countable here and the answer really seems like it should be B, not C. You can have a "variety of fires"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Need an expert response to this post. I am terribly confused between countable and not countable here.

GMATNinja daagh VeritasKarishma mikemcgarry
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [4]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ravigupta2912 wrote:
Need an expert response to this post. I am terribly confused between countable and not countable here.

GMATNinja daagh VeritasKarishma mikemcgarry

Fire is countable when we talk about multiple instances of it.

Evaluation of ... people's reactions in a wide variety of fires...

- should be acceptable because we are talking about reactions to multiple instances of fire (which will give multiple varieties). One instance of fire will give only one variety. But people's reactions ere evaluated in multiple instances.

Request the OP to share the OE to find out what the question setter had in mind.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts