Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 23:52 It is currently 01 May 2024, 23:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V37
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4107 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 622 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Recommendations for Bschools for Indian dentist? [#permalink]
Kudos
DrDanish wrote:
­Hello. I am a dentist with 2.5 years of work exp (ISB considers medical fields' internships as work exp so thats 3.5 for ISB) in private clinics and 1.5 years (simultaneously) with a corporate dental insurance company. 
I have always been in leadership and management positions for college life (general secretary of my college and other posts). I want to pursue a career around management in healthcare/pharma and consulting/ strategy in healthcare. I am open to exploring new fields too. My ECE converted GPA is 3.72/4.00. My GMAT score is 670 (Q45 V37) although I am trying to give it another shot. I have community service experience with 2 non profits in teaching underprivileged children english and math in a public garden and helping start up a hospital in a rural area. I was also among the top students nationally in IGCSE by Cambridge.
I look at ISB and universities in the UK and Europe. Extra cirriculars include representing my college for football (best player of the tournament) and debate competitions.
Do i stand a real shot at this? Because I know very few people who deviated from my background like this. What universities do you recommend I look at? I know I am on the lesser side of workexp but I can't wait any longer because I know for sure that this is what i want to do. I'll have close to 3 years workexp when i apply later this year. 
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

DrDanish - interesting profile. Some thoughts:

1. The work-ex average stats published by B-schools is counted as of joining date i.e. if you're targeting the 2025 (Sep) intake, yours would likely be ~4 years. While this is one factor, some other angles (e.g. GMAT score, quality of experience, ExtraCurriculars, essays, etc.) can sometimes compensate for a lower-than-average work-ex, like this candidate who landed a US Top-20 admit with <3 years work-ex

2. It'd be crucial to have a strong narrative, highlighting your transferable skills for consulting e.g what domains/ functions (within healthcare) have you had exposure to, and how would that help serve clients. Several US and European programs are open to "younger" candidates with strong profiles and post-MBA goals. On that note, I would suggest improving your GMAT score (or switching to GRE) to improve the odds. Latest average GMAT scores of top B-schools are here 

3. ExtraCurriculars look interesting, and can present good points for the essays. 

P.S: We're conducting a Free online live webinar on "Consulting Careers post MBA" with an ex-Mckinsey consultant later this month. If you're interested, check out the details and register here - we have limited slots!

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | Schedule a free chat
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com­
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

DrDanish wrote:
­Hello. I am a dentist with 2.5 years of work exp (ISB considers medical fields' internships as work exp so thats 3.5 for ISB) in private clinics and 1.5 years (simultaneously) with a corporate dental insurance company. 
I have always been in leadership and management positions for college life (general secretary of my college and other posts). I want to pursue a career around management in healthcare/pharma and consulting/ strategy in healthcare. I am open to exploring new fields too. My ECE converted GPA is 3.72/4.00. My GMAT score is 670 (Q45 V37) although I am trying to give it another shot. I have community service experience with 2 non profits in teaching underprivileged children english and math in a public garden and helping start up a hospital in a rural area. I was also among the top students nationally in IGCSE by Cambridge.
I look at ISB and universities in the UK and Europe. Extra cirriculars include representing my college for football (best player of the tournament) and debate competitions.
Do i stand a real shot at this? Because I know very few people who deviated from my background like this. What universities do you recommend I look at? I know I am on the lesser side of workexp but I can't wait any longer because I know for sure that this is what i want to do. I'll have close to 3 years workexp when i apply later this year. 

­Hi DrDanish,

Thanks for sharing your details here.

You belong to a diverse pool of applicants and you definitely stand a good chance at ISB (we believe your experience is on the low side for Europe); hence, if you absolutely wish to apply to Europe, you should wait it out; the USA would be a good option, though.

Re-taking the GMAT is a good idea; a better score will give you a much stronger chance. However, what is equally important is a narrative that clearly focuses on your need for an MBA and what you intend to do after the MBA (in the short-term and the long-term). If you are able to put forth a compelling narrative, you will have a very strong chance.

We have the experience of working with candidates who have a medical background; hence, should you wish to discuss your prospects in greater detail, please feel free to get in touch with us.

Further, if you are applying to ISB, the following video will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvy7qxUKX7Q&t=4s

All the best!
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Recommendations for Bschools for Indian dentist? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Your profile is quite unique and interesting. Given your background as a dentist with significant work experience in both clinical and corporate settings, your leadership roles during college, and your community service initiatives, you have a strong foundation to pivot into healthcare management or consulting.

Here are some recommendations for business schools:

ISB:
[size=100]ISB has a strong focus on leadership and diversity, valuing varied professional backgrounds. Your community service and leadership roles will support your application here.
[/size]

European Schools:

INSEAD
HEC Paris
IESE Business School

UK Universities

University of Cambridge: Judge Business School
Imperial College Business School

Here is an additional list of programs especially for those interested in Healthcare Management that you can evaluate: MBA in Healthcare Management

Further, to enhance your application:
  • Aim to improve your GMAT score, which would strengthen your candidacy, especially for the European schools.
  • Highlight your leadership roles, the impact of your community service, and your ability to innovate and lead in diverse settings in your essays and interviews.
  • Network with alumni and current students from these programs to gain deeper insights for each school's unique characteristics.
You definitely have a shot at transitioning into healthcare management or consulting with your background. The numbers would be few but its definitely possible. We have mentored healthcare professionals in the past and it is clear that business schools appreciate diverse perspectives, and your healthcare background, makes you a strong candidate. Ensure your applications clearly articulate your vision for leveraging an MBA, particularly how you plan to bridge your past experiences with your future goals.

All the best!
DrDanish wrote:

­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Dear DrDanish,

Diversity in the classroom is always top priority for any business school, whether it is in India, EU or US. Being professional doctor already helps you put a strong point in terms of your performance in academia.

1. Your community service experience and helping establish a rural hospital are top points and should be highlighted in your essay and during interviews.

2. While GMAT score of 670 is good for European Business Schools, but if there is a possibility for you to take the test again and improve score, it will help you strengthen you application. 

3. Your experience of 3.5 years is on the lower side for European Business schools. We will recommend you to work for another 1 year and in the meantime prepare you application so that by time of admission, you will have 4.5 - 5 years of experience which will be of great value for school and to you as well. Your professional experience of 4.5 - 5 years will be great value add-on for you peers and also enhance you learning experience during MBA. However, if you are still eager to apply this year itself, we advice you to speak with admission officer of your target school to understand the average work-ex the school is targetting for the cohort.

4. You can consider below schools for MBA in Europe:
 - HEC Paris
 - IESE, Spain
 - London Business School
 - ESADE, Barcelona
 - IE Business School, Madrid
 - University of Cambridge: Judge 

Hope above recommendations are of help. Please feel free to reach out incase you have any further doubts in shortlisting schools or preparing applications. 

--
Regards,
Team Master's Admit
mastersadmit(dot)eu@gmail(dot)com
Visit our website www(dot)mastersadmit(dot)com to book free consultation­
GMAT Club Bot