GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jul 2018, 02:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Recommendations for resources/courses to improve Sentence Correction

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Recommendations for resources/courses to improve Sentence Correction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 22:29
Hi everyone,

I just did my first GMAT exam and scored a 690 with a 38V, 46Q, 8 IR, N/A AWA. I was really hoping for a 700+ score. :x

For Verbal, I can dominate the CR and RC sections with relative ease, but SC seems to be consistently getting me down. I have in fact improved a lot, in my first mock I had a 32 V and 46Q (660), in my second mock a week later that was up to 42V and 46Q (710).

I am guessing on the exam nerves did get to me and I made silly mistakes in the first ten questions on SC, but I was really hoping for some advice to reliably improve on what seems to be a wishy-washy section for me.

So far I have been using MGMAT SC, a few notes by users on this web-page, egmat's SC webinar (REALLY REALLY helpful) and the OG book.

Any help advice is immensely appreciated. I feel like a problem with MGMAT's SC book is the huge amount of jargon, which they stress you don't need to know (but evidently to understand the book and its' explanations you pretty much do.)

Is there any course or book that get's through an explanation without inserting "subjunctive adverbial noun phrase modifying preposition" in the same sentence? :sick: Because I don't know what they mean, and unless it's absolutely necessary I really do not want to learn what they mean.
e-GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.6
Re: Recommendations for resources/courses to improve Sentence Correction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 00:02
My 2 cents would be to improve quant as it is more easy and more formula based. Q46 can be easily pushed up to a Q49 by a small effort and that can get your 720.

For verbal i followed what ever you mentioned. I also learned a lot of concepts from 700 800 SC quide from Gmatclub. Verbal was tough for me so i ensured i aced quant and let verbal take a beat. I managed V41.

Thats my feedback

Sent from my SM-G930F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Recommendations for resources/courses to improve Sentence Correction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 02:39
anupsreekumar wrote:
My 2 cents would be to improve quant as it is more easy and more formula based. Q46 can be easily pushed up to a Q49 by a small effort and that can get your 720.

For verbal i followed what ever you mentioned. I also learned a lot of concepts from 700 800 SC quide from Gmatclub. Verbal was tough for me so i ensured i aced quant and let verbal take a beat. I managed V41.

Thats my feedback

Sent from my SM-G930F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Thanks for your reply Anup. I just wanted to confirm, what is the 700 800 SC guide you are talking about? Could you provide a link to it?

I think I found it here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-your ... 60892.html

But just wanted to confirm whether this is the correct one.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 06:35
Hi nacho93! Since you mention SC as an area of concern, would like to mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions! We do believe that a certain level of knowledge in English Grammar is required to do justice to SC, but have in general avoided "subjunctive adverbial noun phrase modifying preposition"; any jargon used is indeed when we feel it's absolutely necessary.

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

See here how Mohit, who scored 750 on GMAT, vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: Recommendations for resources/courses to improve Sentence Correction &nbs [#permalink] 26 Dec 2017, 06:35

Recommendations for resources/courses to improve Sentence Correction

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap