Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [14]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [2]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [4]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Send PM
Re: Recounting a painful childhood experience, the woman remembered that [#permalink]
i got to know about this rule after the posting by the admin so will keep in mind

thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [0]
Send PM
Re: Recounting a painful childhood experience, the woman remembered that [#permalink]
singhaldheeraj wrote:
i got to know about this rule after the posting by the admin so will keep in mind

thanks

That's great, I think you broke the gmatclub record by earning fastest first 25 kudos in less than 6 days. I am not aware anybody else got first 25 kudos in such a short time. Congrats now you can unlock gmatclub test series for free for one month.

:-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Send PM
PiyushK wrote:
singhaldheeraj wrote:

thanks

That's great, I think you broke the gmatclub record by earning fastest first 25 kudos in less than 6 days. I am not aware anybody else got first 25 kudos in such a short time. Congrats now you can unlock gmatclub test series for free for one month.

:-D[/quot

Thanks thats great
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
singhaldheeraj wrote:
Q- Recounting a painful childhood experience, the woman remembered that her father was very angry when she failed the fifth grade because she could see him shaking with anger

A. Recounting a painful childhood experience, the woman remembered that her father was very angry when she failed the fifth grade because she could see him shaking with anger

B. Recounting a painful childhood experience, the woman recounted that her father was shaking with anger when she failed the fifth grade.

C. Painfully, the woman remembered when she failed the fifth grade and when her father was shaking with anger.

D. The failure of the fifth grade and her father’s anger were painful for the woman recounting the experience.

E. The woman described her father’s shaking with anger when he learned that she had failed the fifth grade.

folks do this real teaser

Kudos if you like the post

The answer choice E is incorrect. He is not a possessive pronoun and can not refer to father's ...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gmat2014p wrote:
singhaldheeraj wrote:
Q- Recounting a painful childhood experience, the woman remembered that her father was very angry when she failed the fifth grade because she could see him shaking with anger

A. Recounting a painful childhood experience, the woman remembered that her father was very angry when she failed the fifth grade because she could see him shaking with anger

B. Recounting a painful childhood experience, the woman recounted that her father was shaking with anger when she failed the fifth grade.

C. Painfully, the woman remembered when she failed the fifth grade and when her father was shaking with anger.

D. The failure of the fifth grade and her father’s anger were painful for the woman recounting the experience.

E. The woman described her father’s shaking with anger when he learned that she had failed the fifth grade.

The answer choice E is incorrect. He is not a possessive pronoun and can not refer to father's ...

Good catch, question is not a good representative of actual gmat questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
gmat2014p wrote:
singhaldheeraj wrote:

I ruled option E because of this possessive pronoun and instead prefer option B redundancy .... what should we do if faced such cases in real exam ...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [0]
Send PM
I am 99% sure that you wont get such bad question on GMAT. GMAT questions are high quality and GMAC does not make such errors in correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Recounting a painful childhood experience, the woman remembered that [#permalink]
singhaldheeraj wrote:
Recounting a painful childhood experience, the woman remembered that her father was very angry when she failed the fifth grade because she could see him shaking with anger

A. Recounting a painful childhood experience, the woman remembered that her father was very angry when she failed the fifth grade because she could see him shaking with anger [incoherent meaning]

C. Painfully, the woman remembered when she failed the fifth grade and when her father was shaking with anger. [Missing IC or full sentence here]

D. The failure of the fifth grade and her father’s anger were painful for the woman recounting the experience. [incoherent meaning]

So I feel this a poor Qn (and doubt its credibility, as done so by majority of others who have attempted the Qn).

I will share my approach at tackling this one as noted above.

Hope this is helpful :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
I don't think option E is right for two reasons

1. The woman described her father’s shaking with anger: Does this mean that the woman was angry when she described her father's shaking.

2. The woman described her father’s shaking with anger when he learned: What does 'He' refer to here, father's shaking? Because father has not been mentioned rather, a possessive case of father's shaking is mentioned. I had these 2 doubts in mind therefore I dropped option E.

Please let me know if I'm wrong in understanding any of the aforementioned points.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts