GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 22:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Request to Evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Request to Evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 05:45
Hi ,

Request you to kindly evaluate my profile for MBA from TOP B Schools and suggestions if any

Indian Male 28 (at time of applying)
School - Class X - 92%
School - Class XII - 80%
College: IIT Roorkee (2008-2013)
Degree: Integrated Masters of Geophysical Technology
CGPA: 6.4
GMAT: 710 but giving it again and hopefully will score 730+

Work Experience:

1) Internship - Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (LBNL), California - (Jun-Aug, 2012)
LBNL is a top US Department of Energy Funded Research Organization and operates under University of California Berkeley.

2) Senior Research Associate (Geophysics Research) - Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (LBNL), California - (Aug,13-Feb,16)
I primarily worked on Geothermal Energy ( a type of renewable energy). My work included scientific research, Project handling, product development and also Business development (to get projects).Worked in a highly collaborative environment. Most of the projects were Department of Energy, USA funded.
I had 3 promotion during my stay at LBNL: Student Assistant -> Research Assistant -> Research Associate -> Sr. Research Associate

3) Technical consultant - for a private firm in India - March, 16 - Jun,16
Domain: Geothermal Energy

4) Founder of a Startup - June, 2016 - present
Objective was to work on Seismic Exploration Services for Geothermal and Oil and Gas in India. Didn't work out. Had many meeting with big PSUs but nothing concrete happened.

5) Individual Consultant at an International Consulting Firm (in over 63 countries) - (Oct,17 - present)
Presently working as an individual consultant (at the firm) in Power Sector and Renewable Energy space in India. Worked on some good projects
Clientele includes UNDP, British Petroleum, Indian Railways, World Bank and CLASP (USA based NGO).
Consulting projects on on Solar, Wind, Distributed Generation etc.

Extra Curricular at College:
Management Team: Annual Cultural and Sports Festivals
College Sports Team Member : Soccer and Athletics
Member: College Choreography Section

NGO: worked at a newly founded NGO related to Environement

B School Choice:
Ambitious Colleges: HAAS, Stanford
Others: ROSS, SLOAN, YALE (list is long and I still have to decide )

Post MBA Goals:
Short Term: To work in a firm excelling in Environment Sustainability ( clean Energy, clean tech, sustainable development, etc.).
Long Terms: Start my organization (once again)

Kindly let me know your suggestions on how to make my profile strong and combat low GPA. What are the ideal schools I should apply and what are the chances of getting in and get a scholarship.

Thanks!
Ankit
Experts' Global Representative
G
Re: Request to Evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 23:23
ankit1345 wrote:
Hi ,

Request you to kindly evaluate my profile for MBA from TOP B Schools and suggestions if any

Indian Male 28 (at time of applying)
School - Class X - 92%
School - Class XII - 80%
College: IIT Roorkee (2008-2013)
Degree: Integrated Masters of Geophysical Technology
CGPA: 6.4
GMAT: 710 but giving it again and hopefully will score 730+

Work Experience:

1) Internship - Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (LBNL), California - (Jun-Aug, 2012)
LBNL is a top US Department of Energy Funded Research Organization and operates under University of California Berkeley.

2) Senior Research Associate (Geophysics Research) - Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (LBNL), California - (Aug,13-Feb,16)
I primarily worked on Geothermal Energy ( a type of renewable energy). My work included scientific research, Project handling, product development and also Business development (to get projects).Worked in a highly collaborative environment. Most of the projects were Department of Energy, USA funded.
I had 3 promotion during my stay at LBNL: Student Assistant -> Research Assistant -> Research Associate -> Sr. Research Associate

3) Technical consultant - for a private firm in India - March, 16 - Jun,16
Domain: Geothermal Energy

4) Founder of a Startup - June, 2016 - present
Objective was to work on Seismic Exploration Services for Geothermal and Oil and Gas in India. Didn't work out. Had many meeting with big PSUs but nothing concrete happened.

5) Individual Consultant at an International Consulting Firm (in over 63 countries) - (Oct,17 - present)
Presently working as an individual consultant (at the firm) in Power Sector and Renewable Energy space in India. Worked on some good projects
Clientele includes UNDP, British Petroleum, Indian Railways, World Bank and CLASP (USA based NGO).
Consulting projects on on Solar, Wind, Distributed Generation etc.

Extra Curricular at College:
Management Team: Annual Cultural and Sports Festivals
College Sports Team Member : Soccer and Athletics
Member: College Choreography Section

NGO: worked at a newly founded NGO related to Environement

B School Choice:
Ambitious Colleges: HAAS, Stanford
Others: ROSS, SLOAN, YALE (list is long and I still have to decide )

Post MBA Goals:
Short Term: To work in a firm excelling in Environment Sustainability ( clean Energy, clean tech, sustainable development, etc.).
Long Terms: Start my organization (once again)

Kindly let me know your suggestions on how to make my profile strong and combat low GPA. What are the ideal schools I should apply and what are the chances of getting in and get a scholarship.

Thanks!
Ankit

Hello ankit1345,

First things first - With the IIT pedigree, international exposure, client-handling abilities, extra-curricular engagements, and experience in a differentiated sector, you have a fair bit that is working for you. Of course, all of this will need to be presented in a manner in which your strengths are adequately represented and your case differentiated from the rest of the Indian pool. Moreover, despite the fact that your start-up did not achieve anything concrete, it will still be a good thing to talk about from the viewpoint of the experience you garnered and the learning you received.

With the above, you stand a decent chance in the top 15-20. However, considering you are looking at some top-notch programs, you must definitely set yourself an aim upwards of 740. This is also because a higher GMAT score will help offset your low GPA and convince the Admissions Committee of your ability to survive the demands of a rigorous academic program. In case you are looking for a scholarship, you may need to compromise slightly on the rankings. There are a number of fine programs within the Top 25 (US programs) and you may have a good scholarship chance there.

Should you feel the need for a detailed discussion, please reach out to us.

Thanks!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 00:13
Consider the following points Ankit:
  1. The overall academic pedigree looks fine. GPA would be about average; read here on what might be possible. Think of a really high GMAT score and be really aggressive there.
  2. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school suggestions. Your current list looks ok from your goals perspective though.
  3. The one thing to really ponder on is the feasibility of your goals however. While you've worked in that space, cleantech doesnt frequently hire international MBA grads - so think about how you'll convince the adcoms as well as for your sake.
  4. The NGO thing sounds interesting but you've not mentioned much about impact. Just a participation won't cut it; read here.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 11:57
Thank you for your suggestions. I guess first thing first, I have to get a very good GMAT score.
Re: Request to Evaluate my profile &nbs [#permalink] 15 Apr 2018, 11:57

Request to Evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap