GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 19:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Researchers have discovered that a quick study of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2089
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 20:15
1
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:45) correct 41% (01:54) wrong based on 223 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Researchers have discovered that a quick study of the hands — more specifically, the lengths of the index and ring fingers — can reveal a lot about a person’s personality and risk of disease. Of course, your fingers don’t actually control these issues; it’s closer to the other way around.

Which of the following statements is best supported by the above information?

A.The larger the difference in the length of the index fingers and ring fingers, the clearer the understanding of the person’s personality that can be achieved through the study of hands.
B.The lengths of the ring and index fingers are expected to be different for people with different personalities.
C.It is difficult to ascertain through the study of hands the personality and disposition to disease of a person with almost no difference in the length of index and ring fingers.
D.Other fingers, except the ring and index fingers, do not provide much information about a person’s personality and risk of disease.
E.A person’s personality and risk of disease is generally controlled by the length of the index and ring fingers.

_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 30 Dec 2016
Posts: 233
Schools: Schulich
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 23:26
The question says that your fingers dont control the personality and disease. it must be other way round.

So will go with B.
_________________

Regards
SandySilva


____________
Please appreciate the efforts by pressing +1 KUDOS (:

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 527
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 07:00
Nice question. Will go with B.
Skywalker18, I believe option C has a typo of double usage of 'in the length'.
_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 09:17
Why can't the answer be option D. please elaborate on the same. Thankyou
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1222
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 18:18
AM13 wrote:
Why can't the answer be option D. please elaborate on the same. Thankyou


May be other then I and R, rest of the hand give some info but not the rest of the fingers. D can't be answer.

Correct ans can be B only. researchers are looking into the length of fingers and finding different personality. that can be possible only if length is different.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jan 2018
Posts: 17
Location: India
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.17
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 23:32
I am a bit confused between options B and D. Both the options seem correct. Could someone please elaborate the reason for eliminating option D.
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1222
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 01:46
abhigulia3006 wrote:
I am a bit confused between options B and D. Both the options seem correct. Could someone please elaborate the reason for eliminating option D.

D: I think you should read stem again. is anything given about other fingers ? answer of Question asked in D is - may be may be not , sufficient info is not given.
B: read the explanation above, if any doubt ask specific question.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 317
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 21:58
Skywalker18 wrote:
Researchers have discovered that a quick study of the hands — more specifically, the lengths of the index and ring fingers — can reveal a lot about a person’s personality and risk of disease. Of course, your fingers don’t actually control these issues; it’s closer to the other way around.

Which of the following statements is best supported by the above information?

A.The larger the difference in the length of the index fingers and ring fingers, the clearer the understanding of the person’s personality that can be achieved through the study of hands.
B.The lengths of the ring and index fingers are expected to be different for people with different personalities.
C.It is difficult to ascertain through the study of hands the personality and disposition to disease of a person with almost no difference in the length of index and ring fingers.
D.Other fingers, except the ring and index fingers, do not provide much information about a person’s personality and risk of disease.
E.A person’s personality and risk of disease is generally controlled by the length of the index and ring fingers.



I would go with D.
choices B and D are the only ones to focus on.

more specifically, the lengths of the index and ring fingers — can reveal a lot about a person’s personality and risk of disease.

B says - the lengths of the ring and index fingers are expected to be different for people with different personalities.
This can be an assumption. The question asks us to pick an answer most strongly supported by, i.e. inference. Option B assumes by using the word expected.

D says -Other fingers, except the ring and index fingers, do not provide much information about a person’s personality and risk of disease.
Now much information does not mean no information. They do provide information but not as much as the index and ring.
The passage clearly states -quick study of the hands — more specifically, the lengths of the index and ring fingers — can reveal a lot about a person’s personality and risk of disease.
This means that the lengths of the duo provide more info than those of others. Otherwise ,why would the author mention the word "MORE SPECIFICALLY " ?

We have to choose an answer best supported by. B is an assumption for the researchers. There can be plenty of assumptions. But between these 2 ,D is well supported.
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1222
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 22:13
AdityaHongunti wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
Researchers have discovered that a quick study of the hands — more specifically, the lengths of the index and ring fingers — can reveal a lot about a person’s personality and risk of disease. Of course, your fingers don’t actually control these issues; it’s closer to the other way around.

Which of the following statements is best supported by the above information?

A.The larger the difference in the length of the index fingers and ring fingers, the clearer the understanding of the person’s personality that can be achieved through the study of hands.
B.The lengths of the ring and index fingers are expected to be different for people with different personalities.
C.It is difficult to ascertain through the study of hands the personality and disposition to disease of a person with almost no difference in the length of index and ring fingers.
D.Other fingers, except the ring and index fingers, do not provide much information about a person’s personality and risk of disease.
E.A person’s personality and risk of disease is generally controlled by the length of the index and ring fingers.



I would go with D.
choices B and D are the only ones to focus on.

more specifically, the lengths of the index and ring fingers — can reveal a lot about a person’s personality and risk of disease.

B says - the lengths of the ring and index fingers are expected to be different for people with different personalities.
This can be an assumption. The question asks us to pick an answer most strongly supported by, i.e. inference. Option B assumes by using the word expected.

D says -Other fingers, except the ring and index fingers, do not provide much information about a person’s personality and risk of disease.
Now much information does not mean no information. They do provide information but not as much as the index and ring.
The passage clearly states -quick study of the hands — more specifically, the lengths of the index and ring fingers — can reveal a lot about a person’s personality and risk of disease.
This means that the lengths of the duo provide more info than those of others. Otherwise ,why would the author mention the word "MORE SPECIFICALLY " ?

We have to choose an answer best supported by. B is an assumption for the researchers. There can be plenty of assumptions. But between these 2 ,D is well supported.


true , but how you are sure that other traits are in other fingers ??? may be it is about spots on palm or depth of palm. this does not mean other fingers for sure. and neither does it is saying it can't be these fingers.

All I am aying that you don't have sufficient information to conclude this fact. when such situation arises we keep the answer false.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 317
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 22:51
aragonn wrote:
AdityaHongunti wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
Researchers have discovered that a quick study of the hands — more specifically, the lengths of the index and ring fingers — can reveal a lot about a person’s personality and risk of disease. Of course, your fingers don’t actually control these issues; it’s closer to the other way around.

Which of the following statements is best supported by the above information?

A.The larger the difference in the length of the index fingers and ring fingers, the clearer the understanding of the person’s personality that can be achieved through the study of hands.
B.The lengths of the ring and index fingers are expected to be different for people with different personalities.
C.It is difficult to ascertain through the study of hands the personality and disposition to disease of a person with almost no difference in the length of index and ring fingers.
D.Other fingers, except the ring and index fingers, do not provide much information about a person’s personality and risk of disease.
E.A person’s personality and risk of disease is generally controlled by the length of the index and ring fingers.



I would go with D.
choices B and D are the only ones to focus on.

more specifically, the lengths of the index and ring fingers — can reveal a lot about a person’s personality and risk of disease.

B says - the lengths of the ring and index fingers are expected to be different for people with different personalities.
This can be an assumption. The question asks us to pick an answer most strongly supported by, i.e. inference. Option B assumes by using the word expected.

D says -Other fingers, except the ring and index fingers, do not provide much information about a person’s personality and risk of disease.
Now much information does not mean no information. They do provide information but not as much as the index and ring.
The passage clearly states -quick study of the hands — more specifically, the lengths of the index and ring fingers — can reveal a lot about a person’s personality and risk of disease.
This means that the lengths of the duo provide more info than those of others. Otherwise ,why would the author mention the word "MORE SPECIFICALLY " ?

We have to choose an answer best supported by. B is an assumption for the researchers. There can be plenty of assumptions. But between these 2 ,D is well supported.


true , but how you are sure that other traits are in other fingers ??? may be it is about spots on palm or depth of palm. this does not mean other fingers for sure. and neither does it is saying it can't be these fingers.

All I am aying that you don't have sufficient information to conclude this fact. when such situation arises we keep the answer false.

My friend that is what I am trying to tell you. I am not contesting that my choice is 100% correct and is undisputable. All I'm trying to say is the question asks us " most strongly supported " . If we stick to the passage and not go out of context we can spot the author's emphasis on those two fingers. My only question to you would be why would the author emphasize those 2 fingers by saying " more specifically " ? . You are absolutely right at challenging the answer choice by countering it with other possible scenarios but amongst all the 5 choices D is the MOST SUPPORTED .

Your choice B - is more of an assumption. If you can contest choice D my friend there are even more possible situations which can break choice B. Think over it.

IMO D is "most supported" . not undisputable.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1222
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 23:27
Ok Fine. How about you answer me this? What you make out of following sentence ?
"the lengths of the index and ring fingers --- gives some info of personality" ---- Difference in personality, difference in length on I and R. assumption will be when I say greater the difference better the personality. think of it this way. What if difference in length of I and R for everyone is same, now how you will correlate their different personality to this ???

I think answer will be B. yes for sure it is also an assumption. but is it a fact ??? In any kind of situation is can be wrong ???

When I am answering all these kind of question for D , I am finding that D can be wrong in many possible ways. D is not a Fact. This is an inference question . we need an answer that is absolutely true in any condition.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 317
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 23:46
aragonn wrote:
Ok Fine. How about you answer me this? What you make out of following sentence ?
"the lengths of the index and ring fingers --- gives some info of personality" ---- Difference in personality, difference in length on I and R. assumption will be when I say greater the difference better the personality. think of it this way. What if difference in length of I and R for everyone is same, now how you will correlate their different personality to this ???

I think answer will be B. yes for sure it is also an assumption. but is it a fact ??? In any kind of situation is can be wrong ???

When I am answering all these kind of question for D , I am finding that D can be wrong in many possible ways. D is not a Fact. This is an inference question . we need an answer that is absolutely true in any condition.

So you mean to say we cannot counter the option B

Let me give it a shot.

Author says- "more specifically - the lengths of index and ring finger TELLS A LOT ABOUT THE PERSONALITY AND .... "

NOWHERE has he mentioned that different lengths have different personalities. Let alone the application of real life situation which will surely break answer choice B. From where did you infer or from which statement or what part of the passage tells you about the difference my friend? Two people can have same lengths and still have different personalities or 2 people can different lengths and have same personalities. The most important part is THERE IS NO MENTION OF DIFFERENCE between personalities with respect to lengths. New information is allowed in inference questions ONLY IF THEY FIT THE GIVEN CONTEXT. Your answer is a pure assumption which does not even have a conclusion. The author says- researchers discovered that a quick reading of the hands can tell a lot about a personality. Where do you infer the difference my Friend. If realistically speaking me and my brother have completely different hands let alone the lengths, but our personalities are like the sun and the moon.

Yes option B does quality as a contender, but option D sticks to the passage and derives a true statement out of the passage. I'm still trying to tell you that the option does not say "ONLY these 2 fingers give info " , the option says " others do not give MUCH INFO " . Yes the option mentions only fingers but this option is playing within the boundaries of the context.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1222
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 23:56
My friend you have again taken it in wrong direction. I used difference just to give an example. choice B is given below.

The lengths of the ring and index fingers are expected to be different for people with different personalities.

Now remove the difference in length(forget it for a while) and give it one more shot. just consider individual length of two fingers independently. I think you are close and you will get it this time.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 317
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 23:59
aragonn wrote:
My friend you have again taken it in wrong direction. I used difference just to give an example. choice B is given below.

The lengths of the ring and index fingers are expected to be different for people with different personalities.

Now remove the difference in length(forget it for a while) and give it one more shot. just consider individual length of two fingers independently. I think you are close and you will get it this time.

How do I ignore the difference. Even if I did how am I to consider the choice. Please proceed with your idea. I'll try to comprehend what you want to say

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1222
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 00:14
let just say Ram has length of these fingers as x and y respectively , while Raj has the same as p and q respectively.
let just say x!=p;y!=q but x-y == p-q

now go through choice B again. and deduce the same info again. Can you say Ram and Raj have same personality ?
only x, y (in that order) is what we are looking for to be sure of same personality.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 02 Oct 2017
Posts: 653
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 20:49
Answer is B

In question it is mentioned it's the other way around.It simply means length of fingers don't influence personality instead person personality has influence on his fingers.

So persons with different personalities have different length of fingers not the other way.

Also we are not considered about other fingers. So D is wrong.

E is quite tempting but it does not address main point.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Give kudos if you like the post

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Researchers have discovered that a quick study of &nbs [#permalink] 11 Apr 2018, 20:49
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Researchers have discovered that a quick study of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.