GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 07:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Researchers hope to find clues about the A'mk peoples who lived in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Researchers hope to find clues about the A'mk peoples who lived in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 04:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:56) correct 20% (02:13) wrong based on 981 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Researchers hope to find clues about the A'mk peoples who lived in the Kaumpta region about one thousand years ago but who left few obvious traces. The researchers plan to hire the few remaining shamans of the modern-day indigenous people in Kaumpta, who are believed to be descended from the A'mk, to lead them to ancestral sites that may be the remains of A'mk buildings or ceremonial spaces. The shamans were taught the location of such sites as part of their traditional training as youths, and their knowledge of traditional Kaumpta customs may help determine the nature of any sites the researchers find.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the success of the plan depends?

(A) The researchers have reliable evidence that the A'mk of one thousand years ago built important ceremonial spaces.
(B) The shamans have a reasonably accurate memory of A'mk sites they learned about as youths.
(C) Kaumpta shamans are generally held in high esteem for their traditional knowledge.
(D) Modern technologies available to the researchers are likely to be able to find some A'mk sites easily.
(E) Most or all A'mk sites are likely to be found within the Kaumpta region.

CR94231.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

Researchers hope to find clues about the A'mk peoples who lived in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jul 2019, 05:05
Bunuel wrote:
Researchers hope to find clues about the A'mk peoples who lived in the Kaumpta region about one thousand years ago but who left few obvious traces. The researchers plan to hire the few remaining shamans of the modern-day indigenous people in Kaumpta, who are believed to be descended from the A'mk, to lead them to ancestral sites that may be the remains of A'mk buildings or ceremonial spaces. The shamans were taught the location of such sites as part of their traditional training as youths, and their knowledge of traditional Kaumpta customs may help determine the nature of any sites the researchers find.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the success of the plan depends?

A. The researchers have reliable evidence that the A'mk of one thousand years ago built important ceremonial spaces.
B. The shamans have a reasonably accurate memory of A'mk sites they learned about as youths.
C. Kaumpta shamans are generally held in high esteem for their traditional knowledge.
D. Modern technologies available to the researchers are likely to be able to find some A'mk sites easily.
E. Most or all A'mk sites are likely to be found within the Kaumpta region.

CR94231.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

The passage basically states that researchers want to rely on the shamans' knowledge of old customs and locations to help in understanding an extinct culture. For this argument to hold, the shamans need to have the correct knowledge and need to be willing to share it. We'll look for an answer which provides the correct logical links, a Logical approach.

Skimming through our options, (B) directly addresses this issue by confirming that the shamans do, in fact, have the knowledge required.

Originally posted by DavidTutorexamPAL on 27 Apr 2019, 02:09.
Last edited by DavidTutorexamPAL on 27 Jul 2019, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
D
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Researchers hope to find clues about the A'mk peoples who lived in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 11:33
conclusion ; the shamans were taught the location of such sites as part of their traditional training as youths, and their knowledge of traditional Kaumpta customs may help determine the nature of any sites the researchers find.

weaken the conclusion ; The shamans do not have have a reasonably accurate memory of A'mk sites they learned about as youths.
IMO B

Bunuel wrote:

A. The researchers have reliable evidence that the A'mk of one thousand years ago built important ceremonial spaces.
B. The shamans have a reasonably accurate memory of A'mk sites they learned about as youths.
C. Kaumpta shamans are generally held in high esteem for their traditional knowledge.
D. Modern technologies available to the researchers are likely to be able to find some A'mk sites easily.
E. Most or all A'mk sites are likely to be found within the Kaumpta region.

CR94231.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Researchers hope to find clues about the A'mk peoples who lived in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 22:05

Type-assumption
Core- Shamans' knowledge of traditional Kaumpta customs may help determine the nature of any sites the researchers find.

A. The researchers have reliable evidence that the A'mk of one thousand years ago built important ceremonial spaces.- incorrect, the ancestral sites maybe A'mk buildings or ceremonial spaces
B. The shamans have a reasonably accurate memory of A'mk sites they learned about as youths. - Correct, The shamans were taught the location of such sites as part of their traditional training as youths. So, option B is a necessary condition- assumption

C. Kaumpta shamans are generally held in high esteem for their traditional knowledge.- irrelevant
D. Modern technologies available to the researchers are likely to be able to find some A'mk sites easily.- irrelevant, it does not matter whether researchers are able to find some sites easily or not
E. Most or all A'mk sites are likely to be found within the Kaumpta region.- irrelevant

Answer B
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 05:28
I believe to answer the question it is important to determine what we need:

The plan is: The researchers plan to hire the few remaining shamans of the modern-day indigenous people in Kaumpta <...> to lead them to ancestral sites <...> .
The support for the plan is: The shamans were taught the location of such sites as part of their traditional training as youths <...>

So clearly only B matters.

A would be helpful if we tried to establish that the plan helped to materialize the hope expressed by the researchers.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 20:20
My accuracy rate in CR has been improving. However, I do take a lot of time per question. I took about 2 mins 47 secs for this question. Some of the text such as "remaining shamans of modern-day indigenous people" etc really confused me. I think trying to summarize every sentence in my own words in CR may help improve my speed? Thoughts/advises - GMATNinja, Bunuel?
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 10:11
rebecca501 wrote:
My accuracy rate in CR has been improving. However, I do take a lot of time per question. I took about 2 mins 47 secs for this question. Some of the text such as "remaining shamans of modern-day indigenous people" etc really confused me. I think trying to summarize every sentence in my own words in CR may help improve my speed? Thoughts/advises - GMATNinja, Bunuel?

rebecca501

1. Read carefully but quick enough to track the conclusion as quickly as possible.

2. You must be able to eliminate Out of scope and Irrelevant answer choices quickly.

Both these steps will help you improving speed.
P
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 07:13
rebecca501 wrote:
My accuracy rate in CR has been improving. However, I do take a lot of time per question. I took about 2 mins 47 secs for this question. Some of the text such as "remaining shamans of modern-day indigenous people" etc really confused me. I think trying to summarize every sentence in my own words in CR may help improve my speed? Thoughts/advises -, Bunuel?

I took exactly the same amount of time.This paassage seemed dense.However answer choices were easy to eliminate.

Did you make progress with time/ strategy?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2019, 07:01
Dear GMATNinja

I have some questions on choice A.
Negated choice A : The researchers do NOT have reliable evidence that the A'mk of one thousand years ago built important ceremonial spaces.

This completely destroys the hiring plan because if they do not know whehter A'mk built such sites that they were looking for, what is the point of hiring local people in the first place?

Thank you in advance!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2019, 08:03
varotkorn wrote:
Dear GMATNinja

Negated choice A : The researchers do NOT have reliable evidence that the A'mk of one thousand years ago built important ceremonial spaces.

This completely destroys the hiring plan because if they do not know whehter A'mk built such sites that they were looking for, what is the point of hiring local people in the first place?

Thank you in advance!

Hello Varokorn,

I recently tried this CR so I will just give an attempt to explain if at all that helps..Hope Mr . Ninja replies soon too :)

Crux of Argument:The premise is about Shamans ,who can locate those traditional sites because they have been been taught the location as youths.
Conclusion is about ..their knowledge will help determine the nature of any site that the researchers find.

Now we need to look for an option which fills this GAP..or the missing premise ...how their knowledge will help researchers ..what else must be true so that shamans knowledge will help the researchers ...With this in mind lets look at the options..

Option A:The researchers have reliable evidence that the A'mk of one thousand years ago built important ceremonial spaces.

Negation1:

The researchers DO NOT have reliable evidence that the A'mk of one thousand years ago built important ceremonial spaces.

*So what if a researcher doesn't have a reliable evidence ---It doesnt mean the evidence is wrong or bad..It might be true..It might not..

*Now even if we consider that the evidence is bad and there is 0.001% chance .Still researchers can go ahead for the sites and findings

Negation 2:

The researchers have reliable evidence that the A'mk of one thousand years ago did not build important ceremonial spaces.

It doesnt matter.Researchers still can be interested in those ceremonial spaces..important or not for archaeology purposes.

So again it doesnt impact the conclusion.

*Last point: The main purpose of assumption question is to touch this link between the premise and conclusion so that the conclusion always holds true.
Something that touches the point between the shamans knowledge and the fact researchers will be able to go ahead with the findings would most likely
be a contender I will be looking for.

Hope it helps!!
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 17:30
Conclusion: The shamans were taught the location of such sites as part of their traditional training as youths, and their knowledge of traditional Kaumpta customs may help determine the nature of any sites the researchers find.

What if the shamans are not of any help to determine the nature of any sites the researchers find?
If this happens, it breaks the conclusion.

When can this happen?
If the training that they were given during the youth was not of any help or If the Shamans do not remember the things taught during the training.
Then they will not be able to help.

So, the author assumes that Shamans training was great and Shamans who attended it during the youth can remember the things taught to them.

Options:
(A) The researchers have reliable evidence that the A'mk of one thousand years ago built important ceremonial spaces.
This choice when negated has no effect on the conclusion.

(B) The shamans have a reasonably accurate memory of A'mk sites they learned about as youths.
Negate this option, if they do not have a memory about the sites then the author's conclusion that they may help will break.

(C) Kaumpta shamans are generally held in high esteem for their traditional knowledge.

(D) Modern technologies available to the researchers are likely to be able to find some A'mk sites easily.

(E) Most or all A'mk sites are likely to be found within the Kaumpta region.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2019, 17:46
varotkorn wrote:
Dear GMATNinja

Thank you in advance!

The researchers' plan is to "find clues about the A'mk peoples" by hiring shamans to "lead them to ancestral sites that may be the remains of A'mk buildings or ceremonial spaces."

On which assumption does the success of this plan depend? Let's take a look at (A):
Quote:

The researchers will be successful if they find the remains of "A'mk buildings or ceremonial spaces." So, even if the A'mk did not build important ceremonial spaces, it is possible that they constructed other types of buildings (or less important ceremonial spaces, as pointed out by @prabsahi), and the plan will be successful.

Because the success of the plan does not REQUIRE the truth of the information in this answer choice, (A) is not an assumption on which the success of the plan depends.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Researchers hope to find clues about the A'mk peoples who lived in the   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2019, 17:46

Researchers hope to find clues about the A'mk peoples who lived in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics