GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Jun 2019, 04:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Reset my GMAT mock after 6 months, would score be accurate?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Reset my GMAT mock after 6 months, would score be accurate?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 07:48
After a 5 month break from GMAT, i gave a GMATprep mock to see where I'm at. To my surprise, I scored 40 points more than what I was scoring in my mocks previously. My score jumped from 690 to 730. Quant score fell due to lack of practice, but Verbal improved drastically. My break up previously used to be q47 to 48 V36 to 38, while quant remained at 47, verbal jumped to 44. I honestly solved every question like it was new and could hardly remember anything. I'm worried though that there would've been some inflation. Any thoughts? Should i base my strategy around this result?

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Re: Reset my GMAT mock after 6 months, would score be accurate?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 21:23
There probably was some inflation, and here's why.

Probably you saw some repeated questions, and even if you didn't recall the answers to the repeated questions, the familiarity of the repeated questions probably caused inflation of your score in the following ways.

Words, sentences, or passages that you may have found challenging to understand the first time around were a little more familiar to you the second time around. For example, a Reading Comprehension passage about an arcane topic can be challenging to read the first time, but the second time you see that passage, you have already dealt with understanding that topic, and you will have retained some of what you learned the first time you read the passage. So, the second time you read it, you will understand it more easily and more thoroughly.

Not only does familiarity make comprehension easier, it reduces stress, and reduced stress can result in better performance and a higher score.

Finally, even if you don't fully recall which choice is the correct answer to a question, on some level, you recall the pattern of the question and what made that choice correct, and other choices incorrect. So, when you answer a repeated question, even if you don't fully recall what the correct answer is, you are more likely to choose the correct answer rather than a trap choice than you would be when seeing a fresh question.

So, while inflation may not entirely explain the increase in your score, it probably explains at least some of the increase, and could explain most or all of the increase in your score.

By the way, on multiple occasions, I have had people tell me how high they were scoring on practice tests, take the real thing and score much lower, and only then tell me that the practice tests on which they had scored so much higher than they did on the real thing were repeats.

Since taking a repeated practice test not only tends to generate inflated scores but also does not accurately duplicate the somewhat stressful experience of taking the GMAT, taking a repeated practice test is, in many cases, not even good practice, especially if the person using the practice test has used it more than once previously.

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 06:42
Yeah, I think that won't be very accurate
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 12:30
marty,

I am facing the same issue. I have exhausted all my 6 official mocks. What could be a better strategy to take a few good mocks before my next retake, which is 10 weeks from now?

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 19:07
MariaAntony wrote:
marty,

I am facing the same issue. I have exhausted all my 6 official mocks. What could be a better strategy to take a few good mocks before my next retake, which is 10 weeks from now?

I'm not 100 percent sure how the GMAT Prep tests are currently, but in the past, before GMAC made the GMAT Prep tests an online resource, GMAT Prep 1 and 2 had so many questions in their banks that one could get decent practice by repeating those two tests, as one would not see many repeated questions. So, repeating GMAT Prep 1 and 2, though not 3, 4, 5, or 6, is one decent move.

A second move would be to use PowerPrep, which is the predecessor of GMAT Prep. It contains two official tests. An issue is that PowerPrep works only with Windows 7 or earlier. So, to use it, you have to either use a Windows 7 based computer or create a virtual Windows 7 environment on a computer that uses a later version of Windows. Also, some of the SC questions in PowerPrep are outdated, though still decent practice. I personally found PowerPrep very useful. If you decide to use it, you can download it from here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-po ... 77548.html

Beyond those moves, you could use non-official tests, none of which are just like the actual GMAT but some of which are decent practice. By searching the web, you can get people's opinions on which non-official tests are the best.

If you use some of the better non-official practice tests, you will get decent practice in handling the GMAT, but many of the questions you see won't quite mimic the GMAT format. So, if you use non-official tests, your are probably best off continuing to also practice by using official questions.

In any case, while taking practice tests is certainly useful, you will tend get the most results in terms of GMAT score increases through topic by topic mastery of the GMAT. So, yes, take some more practice tests, and at the same time, keep going hard with that topic by topic mastery.

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Reset my GMAT mock after 6 months, would score be accurate?   [#permalink] 19 May 2019, 19:07

Reset my GMAT mock after 6 months, would score be accurate?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: egmat