It is currently 25 Feb 2018, 17:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help! Retaking a Q47 in 15 days (740 V44)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Help! Retaking a Q47 in 15 days (740 V44) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 22:22
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

I'm planning on rewriting the GMAT within the next 15days. I gave my first attempt on 29th December and got a 740. Now, I know that's a great score but I'm planning on rewriting for the following reasons:
- Unequal split – Q47, V44. My quant score is the 63rd percentile, whilst my total score is in the 97th percentile.
- Target Schools: Hoping to apply to top5 schools, and have a good chance at receiving aid. Hence, would like a score of 750+ balanced with a good Quant score. Indian IT engineer, Female.
- Mock Tests: 5 of my GMAC mock tests had a score of Q50. I once scored a Q49 in the GMAC Prep Tests, but that was because I couldn't complete the test in time and had 7 questions to finish in 9 minutes. I scored 750 or above in all my mocks.

I want to write it in the next 15 days because of I believe my concepts are pretty clear. If I give it a longer break, there is a higher chance of me forgetting the concepts especially because I won't be very regular with prep. I can devote approximately 2hours a day during weekdays for prep, and about 4-5hours during weekends. I think I should be able to replicate my Verbal performance, give or take a point or two, as long as I just stay in touch.
I thought I did quant pretty well, as none of the questions were very unfamiliar. Seeing a Q47 was a complete and utter shock. I have a huge fear of quant, and was/am convinced that I am bad at Math (Bad school experiences). I think I struggled with keeping my head during the exam and managing time to some extent since I had managed to get myself extremely stressed out. I also think I struggle with some of the DS questions as well and tend to get stuck with silly mistakes as well; For example: a question in the exam asked me to find the potential sum of two terms in a sequence. I manually solved it but jumped straight from the 7th term to the 9th term. I took 3minutes to identify my error before solving the question correctly.

I would really appreciate some help with the following:
- Somebody who could mentor me over the next 15days particularly with regards to my approach to Quant; mentally and quantitatively.
- Opinions on the following:
o Is writing within the next 15 days a mistake?
o Would buying an ESR help me get a better idea of where I went wrong in my exam?
Please do let me know if there is any further information I can provide? I look forward to hearing from you and would really appreciate the help.

GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma AjiteshArun EMPOWERgmatRichC
Attachments

File comment: My GMAT Attempt ESR
Samiya_Nasim_ESR.pdf [419.26 KiB]
Downloaded 72 times

To download please login or register as a user

Last edited by Samiya on 10 Jan 2018, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 06:41
Samiya

After reading your post, the first thing that comes to my mind: PLEASE GET THE ESR.
I think your shock after seeing the score shall be calmed once you see your accuracy and pacing
in ESR.

Hope you did not alter your selection order in mocks and exam.

Couple of additional posts you may find useful are this and this. Pay close attention
to timing and strategies in Quant mega thread.

Regarding re-attempting an exam withing 15 days , it is a very specific Q that shall reflect your ability to
learn mistakes from your ESR and improvise on them. That said, I would definitely advise you to be relaxed a day before your actual D day since
I do sense a bit of anxiety in your post. Try to see couple of good old comedy flicks a day before exam to get refreshed.

You can edit your personal details from ESR with this link and using whiteout feature.

Feel free to post in case you have any more Qs!

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Help! Retaking a Q47 in 15 days (740 V44) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 09:30
adkikani

Hi,

Thanks so much for your response.

I've edited the post to include my ESR. Please have a look at it and let me know your thoughts.
In my opinion:
- My problem solving results are super surprising. In my mocks, I struggled more with DS rather than PS. I feel like my silly mistakes and mental preparation was what let me down during the exam. I also feel time management was an issue, considering the number of questions wrong in the final set of Quant questions.
Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Samiya
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 13:10
Samiya

Sorry to have missed to congratulate you for awesome score in Verbal! :thumbup:

By the time experts chip in, my two cents are that I feel your were tired in this section. The same could be because of
either lack of food during breaks or less sleep. I simply can not believe that one sees such a
drop in Quant score (particularly PS which directly tests conceptual knowledge) because of
not recalling subject matter knowledge. It is important that you not only take mocks in
similar condition as in your actual exam, but also mimic breaks and section order in as close
manner as possible to get as realistic scores in actual GMAT as in mocks. Q50 is very much achievable
with your diligent efforts. As per my view, you must take a mock in a week's time to know the exact cause
of fatigue and committing silly mistakes.

Hope this helps!

VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 21:45
Samiya wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm planning on rewriting the GMAT within the next 15days. I gave my first attempt on 29th December and got a 740. Now, I know that's a great score but I'm planning on rewriting for the following reasons:
- Unequal split – Q47, V44. My quant score is the 63rd percentile, whilst my total score is in the 97th percentile.
- Target Schools: Hoping to apply to top5 schools, and have a good chance at receiving aid. Hence, would like a score of 750+ balanced with a good Quant score. Indian IT engineer, Female.
- Mock Tests: 5 of my GMAC mock tests had a score of Q50. I once scored a Q49 in the GMAC Prep Tests, but that was because I couldn't complete the test in time and had 7 questions to finish in 9 minutes. I scored 750 or above in all my mocks.

I want to write it in the next 15 days because of I believe my concepts are pretty clear. If I give it a longer break, there is a higher chance of me forgetting the concepts especially because I won't be very regular with prep. I can devote approximately 2hours a day during weekdays for prep, and about 4-5hours during weekends. I think I should be able to replicate my Verbal performance, give or take a point or two, as long as I just stay in touch.
I thought I did quant pretty well, as none of the questions were very unfamiliar. Seeing a Q47 was a complete and utter shock. I have a huge fear of quant, and was/am convinced that I am bad at Math (Bad school experiences). I think I struggled with keeping my head during the exam and managing time to some extent since I had managed to get myself extremely stressed out. I also think I struggle with some of the DS questions as well and tend to get stuck with silly mistakes as well; For example: a question in the exam asked me to find the potential sum of two terms in a sequence. I manually solved it but jumped straight from the 7th term to the 9th term. I took 3minutes to identify my error before solving the question correctly.

- Somebody who could mentor me over the next 15days particularly with regards to my approach to Quant; mentally and quantitatively.
o Would buying an ESR help me get a better idea of where I went wrong in my exam?
Please do let me know if there is any further information I can provide? I look forward to hearing from you and would really appreciate the help.

Great performance in verbal. I really like the way the line indicating difficulty almost breaks through the upper border of the graph :-)

Were the questions on your GMATPrep tests "fresh"? If you had not seen or done them before, I am confident that you are capable of getting a Q50 on the actual exam as well. It is just not possible to "luck" into one Q50, let alone five. So if that's the case, I think it is a good idea to take the exam again soon.

Also, knowing that you already have 740 should really help take the pressure off during your retake. All the best!

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 22:30
Thanks AjiteshArun.

The quant sections were fresh for me, so I do believe I should be capable of a Q50 in the final test. Having a backup score of 740 does help with the pressure but I hope I don't psych myself about quant this time as well. I really want to prove to myself as well that I can be decent at Math.

I think I would need some help with the timing strategies for the Quant sections. Any suggestions from you or the experts? bb, Bunuel

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 22:36
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Samiya wrote:
Thanks AjiteshArun.

The quant sections were fresh for me, so I do believe I should be capable of a Q50 in the final test. Having a backup score of 740 does help with the pressure but I hope I don't psych myself about quant this time as well. I really want to prove to myself as well that I can be decent at Math.

I think I would need some help with the timing strategies for the Quant sections. Any suggestions from you or the experts? bb, Bunuel

5. Strategies and Tactics To Increase Your Score

6. Strategies and Tactics To Speedd-Up

For more check below:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 22:53
Thank you Bunuel,
I hope I'll have good news for you guys in two weeks. Really appreciate the help!

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 01:42
Samiya wrote:
Hi guys,

No harm in taking the GMAT again if you feel your performance is likely to improve. For a top 5, I would like you to have a Q49+. But the way I see it, you took the last test just a week ago. Do you think you have made some progress since then? I see that you ran out of time in the last quarter but you need to ensure that this time around, you will manage your time better. Also, it is surprising that you have a much lower percentile in PS than in DS. Do you end up making calculation mistakes?
Re-taking the exam is not a mistake in most cases. It does make one poorer by a few hundred dollars but that is about it. You can always cancel your score and it won't appear on your score card. Though the final depends on your timeline too - would you have enough time to retake again if you end up cancelling the score you get? (say in case it is less than 740)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 02:00
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Samiya wrote:
Hi guys,

No harm in taking the GMAT again if you feel your performance is likely to improve. For a top 5, I would like you to have a Q49+. But the way I see it, you took the last test just a week ago. Do you think you have made some progress since then? I see that you ran out of time in the last quarter but you need to ensure that this time around, you will manage your time better. Also, it is surprising that you have a much lower percentile in PS than in DS. Do you end up making calculation mistakes?
Re-taking the exam is not a mistake in most cases. It does make one poorer by a few hundred dollars but that is about it. You can always cancel your score and it won't appear on your score card. Though the final depends on your timeline too - would you have enough time to retake again if you end up cancelling the score you get? (say in case it is less than 740)

Hi,
I don't plan on applying at least for another year so I should enough time to retake if I really have to. Though I would really prefer to get done with this and tick the GMAT Box.

I don't think I've made any major improvements in the last ten days, conceptually at least. I think my low score was primarily due to nerves. That's because:
1. Almost all my GMAC mock tests (5/6) we're a Q50
2. In all my practice tests I always scored a higher accuracy in problem solving than data sufficiency. Also, you're more likely to make silly mistakes in actual calculations which are more common in PS questions than DS, which mostly tests the logical concepts.

I think I need help with accurate calculations and time management. Do let me know if there are any strategies you would recommend for the same. A time marker strategy would be incredibly helpful!

Top Contributor
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 09:15
Top Contributor
As a professional GMAT tutor, and one of the only users on this forum who has gone from a verified Q42 to a verified Q50, I can help! Please PM me or email me directly at mcelroy@post.harvard.edu.

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and online via Skype, since 2002.

You can download my official test-taker score report directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan - McElroy Tutoring

Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 01 Feb 2018, 16:52, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 00:16
adkikani, AjiteshArun, Bunuel, VeritasPrepKarishma, mcelroytutoring:
Update.
GMAT cracked! 780. (Q50/V48)
Thank you so much everyone for your help!

P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 00:43
Samiya

Amazing improvement in such a short duration.
May be you can throw more light on introspection of your last exam and share
its learnings on forum to help lots others here in fulfilling their dreams.

Wishing you all the very best for your apps! Do let us know where do you finally land up
in your dream B school. The journey ahead will be definitely lot smoother with such an outstanding
performance.

VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 02:28
Samiya wrote:
Update.
That's excellent news! All the best for the rest of the process :-)

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 02:42
Samiya wrote:
Update.

Brilliant!! Congratulations Samiya.

Check this link for a free profile evaluation: https://www.veritasprep.com/business-sc ... valuation/
It will help you in the rest of the admission process.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Top Contributor
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 11:40
Top Contributor
Congrats and happy to help, Samiya ! Amazing job.

I would also love to see your V48 ESR, if you're willing to share--ESR analysis so far suggests that you may have answered only 1 counted question incorrectly!

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and online via Skype, since 2002.

You can download my official test-taker score report directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 01:40
mcelroytutoring:

Hi,

Thank you so much! I was completely shocked by my Verbal because I was pretty sure I'd flunked it.
I was not planning on buying the ESR for this attempt. Would you recommend getting one for any reason?
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Hi Samiya , well, seeing that you now have a stellar 780 (99%) GMAT score, there is no need for you to re-take, and thus no need for you to learn from your ESR.

However, your case is interesting to me, because I have only seen one other instance of a V48 ESR--the one from the picture above (I also scored V48 on Verbal on my first attempt in 2012, but ESRs were not available at the time). For the sake of the GMAT community's knowledge base, it would be nice to see a different example of a V48 score, to confirm that you did in fact also answer only one counted question incorrectly.

If the cost ($25) is the issue, then I've been known to offer to pay for the ESRs in similar situations in the past, and would consider "contributing to the cause" in this case as well.

Help! Retaking a Q47 in 15 days (740 V44)   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2018, 08:46

Help! Retaking a Q47 in 15 days (740 V44)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap