It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 11:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rice is a staple crop in the country of Bhupet, and ...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida

Kudos [?]: 982 [0], given: 630

Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Rice is a staple crop in the country of Bhupet, and ... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2013, 17:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:52) correct 46% (01:56) wrong based on 333 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Rice is a staple crop in the country of Bhupet, and enough is produced each year to both meet the country's demand and be a major export. This season, however, rice yields fell 20% due to infestation by rice blast fungus. Because rice commands a somewhat higher price on the export market than the domestic market, economists warn that the Bhupet people will not be able to buy the rice they need. In order to help the local economy, therefore, the Prime Minister of Bhupet has proposed distributing state-subsidized rice coupons to each citizen.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the Prime Minister's proposal will have the desired consequence?

(A) Even if the rice coupons do not allow citizens of Bhupet to consume as much rice as they do in a typical year, the existence of the coupons will help maintain general confidence in the economy.

(B) Rice distributors in Bhupet are willing to sell rice to the government at a price below the domestic market price.

(C) Rice is a fundamental component in the diet of most citizens of Bhupet, and it is their main source of vitamin B1.

(D) The exportation of rice makes up 75% of Bhupet's foreign trade and is the direct or indirect source of employment for 10% of the adult population.

(E) Not all citizens of Bhupet would require state-subsidized rice coupons to afford their usual rice intake.

GH-12.18.12 - OE to follow
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by avohden on 19 Nov 2013, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 982 [0], given: 630

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [3], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rice is a staple crop in the country of Bhupet, and ... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2013, 18:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Keyword here is In order to help the local economy, therefore, the Prime Minister......
We should find connection between distribution of coupons and the impact on economy. Most of the ans choices provide us the impact on people or the rice distributors.
Only choice D is relevant, since less production of rice results in the country to import rice and approx 10% will lose employment. That will not improve the economy.

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Kudos [?]: 67 [3], given: 110

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 385 [0], given: 886

Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2013, 07:14
Why is B not correct here.
As far as i understand if the Rice distributors in Bhupet are willing to sell rice to the government at a price
below the domestic market price then also giving Rice coupons would not help because the Govt is buying at a higher price and then subsidizing it.
Say the govt buys at $100 per quintal and gives Rice coupons that give a subsidy of $20 per quintal and in the market outside the rice can be taken for $80 then the govt is unnecessarily increasing its fiscal limit.

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Kudos [?]: 385 [0], given: 886

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida

Kudos [?]: 982 [1], given: 630

Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 16:29
This post received
KUDOS
Official Explanation

Answer: D -
This is a weaken question. The Prime Minister desires to aid the local economy (that's the desired consequence) by providing free rice. The underlying assumption is that, if people can't buy the rice they need, the economy will suffer; if people can buy the rice they need, the economy will be helped. Consider each choice in turn:

(A) This strengthens the argument: The coupons will make people more confident in the economy.
(B) This, if anything, strengthens the argument; the subsidized rice will not cost the government as much as it might otherwise. For the most part, though, it is not relevant to the argument.
(C) Again, this appears to strengthen the argument--it shows how important rice is to citizens. Like (B) though, it isn't directly related to the economy.
(D) This is correct. While the argument emphasizes the importance of the domestic market, this choice shows us that the export market has a direct effect on the health of the domestic economy. If the government acquires a large amount of rice, it is likely that rice exports will be curtailed by that amount, thus harming the economy.
(E)This is irrelevant; the argument would still be valid if only a large percentage of citizens required the coupons.

Kudos [?]: 982 [1], given: 630

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 05:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 22:16
Can someone explain logic behind D
Not convinced with the logics stated above

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

Queens MBA Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 45

Concentration: Leadership, General Management

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2015, 06:37
avohden wrote:
Rice is a staple crop in the country of Bhupet, and enough is produced each year to both meet the country's demand and be a major export. This season, however, rice yields fell 20% due to infestation by rice blast fungus. Because rice commands a somewhat higher price on the export market than the domestic market, economists warn that the Bhupet people will not be able to buy the rice they need. In order to help the local economy, therefore, the Prime Minister of Bhupet has proposed distributing state-subsidized rice coupons to each citizen.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the Prime Minister's proposal will have the desired consequence?

(A) Even if the rice coupons do not allow citizens of Bhupet to consume as much rice as they do in a typical year, the existence of the coupons will help maintain general confidence in the economy.

(B) Rice distributors in Bhupet are willing to sell rice to the government at a price below the domestic market price.

(C) Rice is a fundamental component in the diet of most citizens of Bhupet, and it is their main source of vitamin B1.

(D) The exportation of rice makes up 75% of Bhupet's foreign trade and is the direct or indirect source of employment for 10% of the adult population.

(E) Not all citizens of Bhupet would require state-subsidized rice coupons to afford their usual rice intake.

GH-12.18.12 - OE to follow

Argument :
Rice is staple food. This year Production dropped, Demand in domestic market is same. Export gives good return, so Export will not decrease. So for local market Prices will go up and local residents will not be able to afford.
To tackle. Govt will give subsidized coupon.

Assumption : (Govt must have made while making this plan)
1. Only prices went up but stocks are available for local market at high prices. hence subsidy can help people to afford.
2. Export will decrease or Product available (domestic share) in local market will not go down.

Pre thought weaker.
1. Product (Rice) itself is not available.
2. Export will increase or cannot decrease.

POE

A) Even if the rice coupons do not allow citizens of Bhupet to consume as much rice as they do in a typical year, the existence of the coupons will help maintain general confidence in the economy.
Option says, Coupons will not compensate for everything but it will help to some extent. hence it is weak strengthener ( if at else it connects) . INCORRECT

Opposite effect. It says that supply will increase. Strengthen the plan.

Nice Fact - Does not relate to argument or plan - Incorrect

This is only option that matches pre-thinking. Based on this option we can say, export will not decrease and supply to domestic market wont increase.

Nice Fact some people may be super rich they may afford rice at any price so what we are worried about general population- Does not relate to argument or plan - Incorrect

Out of all the option D is only option that touches argument. Rest all does not make sense.

Option D is correct.

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 45

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 06:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Re: Rice is a staple crop in the country of Bhupet, and ...   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2017, 06:29

Rice is a staple crop in the country of Bhupet, and ...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap