GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2019, 18:33
DmitryFarber wrote:
No. We use "dated at" and "estimated to be."

Dear DmitryFarber

Is 'estimated at' idiomatic too? if yes, how can I use it different than 'estimate to be'?

Thanks in advance
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2019, 22:20
The "no" above was in reference to exactly that. I don't think we'll see "estimated at" in a correct answer. However, English is tricky--it depends on the intended meaning. We certainly can't say "estimated at X years old." The idiom is "estimated to be." But what about something else? I could imagine a sentence that said "The damage was estimated at $45 million dollars." This makes more sense than "to be," since a rock sample can BE millions of years old, but damages can't BE millions of dollars. Rather, millions of dollars in damages occurred.

Having said all that, I don't have an official SC question to validate that usage for the GMAT. If anyone can find a correct official answer with ANY use of "estimated at," I'd be interested to see it.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 07:03
TomB wrote:
Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid that eradicated the dinosaurs has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.

(A) has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is
(B) has been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus
(C) have been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus are
(D) have been dated as being 3.47 billion years old and thus
(E) have been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus are

Agreement; Idiom

The plural subject of this sentence, Rock samples, requires plural verb phrases—have been dated and are rather than has been dated and is. The idiomatic way of expressing estimation of age is with the phrase dated at.

(A) The subject and verbs do not agree; dated to be … is not idiomatic.

(B) The subject and verb do not agree; the conjunction and thus should be followed by a verb.

(C) Dated to be is not idiomatic.

(D) As being is not idiomatic; the conjunction and thus should be followed by a verb.

(E) Correct. The plural verbs match the plural subject, and the wording of the sentence is idiomatic.

The correct answer is E.

Main Issues:

1) SV: "Samples...have"
2) Correct Idiom: "dated at"

(A) has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is - Wrong: 1) SV 2) Idiom
(B) has been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus - Wrong: 1) SV 2) Structure
(C) have been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus are - Wrong: Idiom
(D) have been dated as being 3.47 billion years old and thus - Wrong: 1) Idiom 2) Structure
(E) have been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus are - Correct
GMAT Club Bot
Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2019, 07:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 43 posts ] 

Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics