GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 21:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ross v. Stern

post reply Update application status  

Which to Choose?

• 50% [6]
  • 50% [6]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.2
Ross v. Stern  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 08:03
Hi all,

I have been lucky enough to be accepted at these two programs. Price would be the same (except higher cost of living in NYC of course).

I have lived in NYC for the last six years and have worked in nonprofit consulting. I want to pursue management consulting. I will shoot for the big 4 but would likely be happy at a smaller firm as well. I am also interested in environmental and social impact, and while I don't necessarily expect that those will factor into my first job out of business school, I do think they will factor in longer term.

Ross
-Very solid approach to consulting track
-Strong presence of environmental and social impact related opportunities
-MAP seems wonderful, a chance to travel AND complete a substantive, 7-week consulting project as opposed to some of the fluffier travel opportunities at most schools [I will definitely take advantage of one or two fluffier opportunities as well though]
-Network seems very supportive and enthusiastic
-Where people go after graduation is quite varied (Chicago, Seattle, NYC, and SF all have at least 10% but nowhere has more than 21%), which is both a strength due to potential variety and maybe also a weakness (no one location where Ross is king)
-Ann Arbor seems fine, I'm not in love with it

Stern
-It's in NYC! I'm pretty tied to this city. On the one hand, a break doesn't sound bad. On the other, I will likely want to be in NYC post-school.
-In-semester internships and networking with companies in NYC are opportunities that won't exist in the same way at Ross
-Environmental and social impact opportunities are certainly there but don't seem as ingrained as they are at Ross
-I get the impression that the consulting track is ever so slightly weaker than at Ross, but it's probably functionally about the same?
-Being in a big city, it seems like more people have more of a life outside of business school, which I kind of see as a weakness in terms of network strength and trying new things (could be tempted to fall back on the friends/support system that I already have, although having that support system is a nice thing of course- hard to say if this is a positive or negative I suppose)

Basically, I'm fairly confident about the education and career support at both schools. I don't need to stay in NYC for school, but want to have the option to be there afterwards.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Ross v. Stern  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Jan 2018, 09:24
Congratulations on the admits!

I can see how Stern would make a lot of sense esp if you want to stay in New York.
Stern is heavy on Banking and Consulting, which fits well with your goals. However, if you change your career tracks, I feel Ross has more variety in the Student Body and also in terms of employers/career opportunities.

Otherwise, two great schools! Good luck picking :-)

Adding a bit more: it will be helpful to have a personal network in the city you are recruiting at. You can always tell friends/family that you are gunning for a BCG for example or Accenture and likely they have someone who works there, worked, or has a friend who does. It is a small world and with the best jobs often requiring a personal recommendation in addition to a solid resume, it may help. Finally being at the right place at the right time goes a long way too so I can see Stern being attractive even if there are some perceived weaknesses.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Originally posted by bb on 29 Jan 2018, 09:13.
Last edited by bb on 29 Jan 2018, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Add
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Ross v. Stern  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 06:43
Cesky wrote:
I will likely want to be in NYC post-school.

I think that probably answers your question. The power of a school in its own city is pretty much unparalleled. For example SMU is significantly lesser ranked than a Ross but if you wanted to live in Dallas Texas SMU would probably be the way to go simply because the strength of network in proximity to the school.

Personally I plan on going to Ross so hard for me to say go with Stern. Especially since it sounds like you really do like the idea of Michigan, and like BB said Ross probably offers more flexibility. BUT, if you're pretty confident NYC is your post-MBA location I think that itself probably makes your decision.

Tough one but important to remember, there is no wrong choice. Best of luck!

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 19:04
This poll has gradually leaned toward Stern, which surprised me a little. I'm still deciding, but leaning toward Ross. It seems possible enough to return to NYC after Michigan and the school/network just strikes me as more supportive.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 18:42
This thread has been re-started with new information (OP got admitted to Johnson)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/johnson-v-ro ... 59451.html

Please continue the discussion there.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Re: Ross v. Stern &nbs [#permalink] 09 Feb 2018, 18:42

Ross v. Stern

post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap