Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [2]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Ross vs Anderson - Please help! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congratulations on your Dilemma!

I think your relationship will most likely suffer quite a bit as the result of moving away. Having lived through several long distance relationships, it is going to be pretty impossible to maintain anything over a long distance during a very busy and stressful period for you unless your significant other/almost significant other is willing to move with you. You can't ignore this fact and if you found a great person, someone you think you want to be married to and spend the rest of your life, what is 5 points on the ranking scale?

The Anderson program is not as elite as Ross but it is the best school in So Cal. You must understand however, that LA and SoCal are a big spraling area with not that many corp offices or large businesses and it is truly the land of small business. No coincidence, Wilshire 5000 index is called Wilshire and was born in LA. However, SoCal and LA is where Anderson is the strongest. I have had a few friends graduate from Anderson both FT and PT MBA's and they have had a variety of paths that they took. Going to a higher ranked school is not a guarantee of getting into a great consulting job, rather a greater possiblity/chance and better chances do not equate to success.

Looking at pure salary numbers, Ross and Anderson are close and since you are not an international applicant (I assume) and thus have no H1B considerations, the trade off between the programs is not all that substantial. LA is just harder with large employers.... few large consulting shops travel to LA and all of west coast to recruit - not really worth it to them as programs are on the smaller side.

P.S. What I would do.... (maybe as I am trying to fit into your shoes) I would probably sit down with my GF and chat with her - how often would we see each other and have some kind of a plan if you choose Ross. Had Ross offered $50K, you could fly back down every other week and pay for flights that way. However, to her, it would look like you are trading her and money for the sake of a brand and possibly a better shot at consulting (Your GMAT will count by the way - those guys like high GMAT scores). If you pick Ross, i would make sure she really understands why and what's driving that because right now, it feels you are swimming against several currents at the same time.

Originally posted by bb on 15 Apr 2017, 23:41.
Last edited by bb on 15 Apr 2017, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
Added PS
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Send PM
Re: Ross vs Anderson - Please help! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Both great options...I would say go to Ross if life was simple. Since it is not I would sit with your GF and see what she thinks. This should be a joint decision between you and her. Map out a gameplan for both schools and determine what makes sense for the both of you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Buddy,
bb has given you the perfect advice.
In my opinion, you should sit quietly on a beach (or at some silent place) someday (alone) and ask yourself how much does your gf matter to you. Be honest to yourself. Try and be as rational as possible. If you're really serious about her, don't even think twice and go for UCLA. 5 spots is ranking is not worth risking a serious relationship. Finding the right person is more difficult than finding the right job/program (IMHO).
All the best :)

Stevaineer wrote:
Hello,

I'm in the fortunate (yet stressful) position of trying to decide between full-time programs at Ross and Anderson. My post MBA goal is to get into consulting. I'm also very interested in renewable energy and sustainability. I'm currently living in San Francisco and have long-term aspirations on the West Coast or potentially Denver. I'm in a serious relationship with my girlfriend who is living (and will stay) in SoCal. Here is my breakdown for each school:

Ross
+ Best of the two for MBB recruiting and strong placement on the West Coast
+ I'm a big fan of MAP and many of the other programs sponsored by Ross
+ Every student/alumni I've spoken with raves about Ross
+ The network is strong
+ Potential to get a dual Master's in environmental science in 3 years
- It's very far from my girlfriend in SoCal. I'm concerned the additional distance and time commitment of business school could harm our relationship despite her support of either school
- Weather isn't as nice, but I'm originally from the Midwest, so I'll survive

Anderson
+ $25k/year cheaper due to scholarship and in state tuition. So $50k total less in loans
+ It's even closer than where I'm currently at in San Francisco to my long-term
- More challenging to break into top consulting firms
- Network is limited and regional
- Most of the students I spoke with didn't exhibit much excitement for Anderson. Some clearly did not enjoy the school

Overall, I'm much more excited about Ross. The biggest detractor by far from Ross is it's distance from my girlfriend. The $50k cost difference is significant too.

Which school would you choose?

Thanks for your time!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts