GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Feb 2020, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UT Austin ($$$) vs. Emory ($$$) vs. Tuck (no $) vs. Ross ($$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school would you choose?

• 2% [1]
  • 2% [1]
  • 4% [2]
  • 2% [1]
  • 65% [27]
  • 21% [9]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
UT Austin ($$$) vs. Emory ($$$) vs. Tuck (no $) vs. Ross ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Mar 2016, 20:34
I am extremely fortunate to have been admitted to some great business schools [Ross (Michigan), McCombs (UT Austin), Tuck (Dartmouth), Goizueta (Emory), Leeds (Colorado Boulder), Kenan-Flagler (UNC), and am awaiting a decision from WP Carey (Arizona State) still, which would be a full-tuition scholarship if I get in (they are doing this for all admitted students)]. I was rejected without interview from HEC Paris. I am coming from a non-profit background and interested in switching to for-profit for the foreseeable future to get a different perspective on business management. I am most excited about the prospect of working in management consulting to gain exposure to a lot of different management issues in a variety of industries. I think business school followed by a employment in a strong consulting company will help me eventually transition into a more general management role at a social enterprise business or back to non-profit. If I do go back to non-profit, I think the business education and experience will provide me with a much stronger management skillset.

At this point I am leaning towards Ross, UT Austin, Emory, or Tuck with a pretty strong personal preference for Ross.

Considerations:

1. POST-MBA PLAN: I am really excited about the management consulting path, and hope to attend a school where I have the best chance at landing a great consutling job and that can push me to grow in the areas of decision-making, strategic planning, public speaking, etc. I also currently do not have any strong brand names on my resume. To help with this, I would like a good shot at MBB, but would really be open to any of the top 5-10 firms. I'm also hoping to get the best education possible, and a really strong and geographically spread out alumni network.

2. STRONG REPUTATION FOR QUANT as well as things like CONSULTING skills and general management- not worried about any particular focus outside of this. I do not have a quantitative background (though I do love math and have a very solid quant GMAT score which I hope will help me get into consulting). I think Ross and Tuck probably have the strongest quant reputations, but I would love insight on this. I am NOT worried about going to a program that can help me get back into non-profit or social enterprise. Rather, I want a program where I can focus on developing traditional business and quantitative analysis skills.

3. CAREER SERVICES SUPPORT- I think Emory has the edge here. 100% employment last year and their career services team is amazing and have been there for a while. They also have strong ties to consulting, though I think especially in the southeast. Tuck is probably 2nd here. Hard to say who would be next. Maybe Ross or UT Austin? I've talked to a handful of students from Ross and Austin, and seem to have gotten more positive reports from Ross.

4. CULTURE & FIT: General Impressions of schools: Loved everything about Ross when I visited and interviewed- I loved the energy of the students and alumni and the fact that they really walk the walk of diversity on campus (this is important to me). Felt positive toward Emory, UT Austin (though UT Austin consulting career prospects seemed a bit concerning- I may just need to talk to a few more people though on this). Felt pretty good about Boulder and ASU (and like their southwest locations), but since they are not as top-teir of schools, I am also factoring this in. Felt ok about Tuck, but don't feel like they have a very diverse program and didn't love my experience there. Did not have a great experience with UNC and was surprised I even got in; I'm not really considering Kenan-Flagler at this point even though it is a great school!

5. HANDS-ON OPPORTUNITIES as well as international opportunities: I think Ross also has the edge here with the MAP program, opportunities for hands-on experience throughout the program in Detroit, and programs like MTrek. Of course, all these schools have great opportunities for hands-on and international exposure, so this may not be a big differentiator. I do think that with my background, the more hands-on projects I can put on my resume (like community consulting work, projects with major companies, etc.), the better.

6. DIVERSITY: I want to learn as much as possible from fellow students and work with others from all different backgrounds. Consortium Membership is also important to me, which is partly why I am most strongly considering my Consortium schools. As I said, I really think Ross has the edge here (at least in my campus visit experience), but I am open to other perspectives.

7. LONG-TERM BRAND VALUE & ALUMNI NETWORK: I think either Ross or Tuck has the edge here, though in Colorado, CU Boulder can go a long way. I know UT Austin is also strong in the southwest but not sure how much in Colorado.

8. LOCATION- not a big factor for me. I am interested in ending up in Colorado eventually, or Utah or the Southwest in general (though probably not Texas)- more like the Mountain West as I love desert and mountain sports. However, in the short term (like next 5-10 years) I would love to work anywhere, and maybe even travel or work abroad. Open to East Coast, Midwest, Mountain West (of course!), West Coast, Europe, Africa, Asia- literally anywhere. I am also considering applying to the Foreign Service after a few years of post-MBA work.

9. Anything else I should be thinking about? My gut is telling me Ross is where I want to be...

OR- I have also considered putting in one more 3rd round application to Harvard. Thoughts? I had no idea how competitive I would be as an applicant for business school (female, non-profit background, very strong GPA and GMAT scores; I didn't actually even take the GMAT until after I had applied everywhere, but all my schools accepted it late!). I mostly focused on Consortium schools and Southwest schools and HEC Paris (because I had this crazy dream of going to school in France and would still would love to do a study abroad there to improve my French!). I honestly just hadn't even considered the idea that I could get in at HBS- and of course there is still a good 90% chance I wouldn't! I don't think they give out as many scholarships in round 3 though so that could be tough financially.

Thanks!

Originally posted by spknin on 22 Mar 2016, 21:53.
Last edited by spknin on 23 Mar 2016, 20:34, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.17
WE: Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Re: UT Austin ($$$) vs. Emory ($$$) vs. Tuck (no $) vs. Ross ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 07:59
a HUGE LOLL to the guy who voted LEEDS.

But yea this is a hands down Ross with $$$ easy decision imo!
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus '21 (M$)
Reviews Badge
Re: UT Austin ($$$) vs. Emory ($$$) vs. Tuck (no $) vs. Ross ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 20:17
Congrats for your admit in all those great schools.

It is one of the best posts I have ever seen. You did a lot of huge analysis. Do not overanalyze as it would be waste of time. From both money and reputation in you list, I can limit down choices to Emory and Ross. Ross sent many students to MBB and other second tier firms such as Deloitte, not to compared to Tuck though. However, I'm leaning to Ross which will give you high education with less tuition and serve your goal.

good luck
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 20:22
Mo2men wrote:

It is one of the best posts I have ever seen. You did a lot of huge analysis. Do not overanalyze as it would be waste of time. From both money and reputation in you list, I can limit down choices to Emory and Ross. Ross sent many students to MBB and other second tier firms such as Deloitte, not to compared to Tuck though. However, I'm leaning to Ross which will give you high education with less tuition and serve your goal.

good luck

Thank you for the compliment Mo2men! As you might guess, I can be an over-analyzer. I do think Ross is the way to go though. Just wanted to put it out there to make sure that makes sense to others with experience around b-school decisions. I am glad you agree!
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus '21 (M$)
Reviews Badge
UT Austin ($$$) vs. Emory ($$$) vs. Tuck (no $) vs. Ross ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 20:39
spknin wrote:
Mo2men wrote:

good luck

Thank you for the compliment Mo2men! As you might guess, I can be an over-analyzer. I do think Ross is the way to go though. Just wanted to put it out there to make sure that makes sense to others with experience around b-school decisions. I am glad you agree!

As you love analyzing, you may like to read those articles with numbers to give another helpful guidance :-D

http://poetsandquants.com/2012/06/22/b- ... nsultants/

http://poetsandquants.com/2016/01/11/wh ... ba-talent/

http://poetsandquants.com/2014/01/17/wh ... onsulting/
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 10:58
Thank you- I had seen at least one of these already, but the other 2 were new to me. A very helpful resource! Thank you Mo2Men!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 12:49
With your career goals, Ross and Tuck strike me as the obvious choices. They're going to give you the biggest leg up with MBB. Tuck MIGHT place better in consulting, I'm not sure of the stats, but it sounds like you liked Ross a lot more, they're ranked similarly, and you have money at Ross (also dk how big of a factor the money is for you). Tuck does have a wonderful community, but the isolation in NH won't be for everyone, and it does lack diversity, esp. with how small it is.

One more thing to take into account might be which school will give someone with a nontraditional background the best leg up for MBB, but high enough GMAT scores could open doors for you there as well.

Going on all this, my vote would be Ross, but you can't go wrong with any of the four you listed above (the others wouldn't be the best choices, IMO).
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 16:10
I would go with ross here, great program, great student community, and great money

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: UT Austin ($$$) vs. Emory ($$$) vs. Tuck (no $) vs. Ross ($$$)   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2016, 16:10

UT Austin ($$$) vs. Emory ($$$) vs. Tuck (no $) vs. Ross ($$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste