Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 19:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 18:35
AsadAbu wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:

Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China, and that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as the content of his fiction.

Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal,
There is NO COMMA before AND in the official guide! So, could you remove COMMA before AND so that no student being misguided, please?
Thanks__

AsadAbu

Well, then your OG 2019 contains a TYPO. The 2016 Official Guide does include the comma exactly as the guide should.

GMAC uses the Oxford comma. Perhaps you did not know that fact.
(British English does not use the Oxford comma. U.S. English almost always uses the Oxford comma in formal writing, though not in journalism.)

As mentioned, the Oxford comma is required.

EMPOWERgmatVerbal has the correct construction.

Maybe you should notify GMAC?

EDIT: I checked the hard copy of 2016 first. I just checked the hard copy of OG 2018. That edition also correctly includes the comma.

-- Take another look. Take a look around. These are the moments you can't pass by.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 22:11
generis wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:

Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China, and that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as the content of his fiction.

Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal,
There is NO COMMA before AND in the official guide! So, could you remove COMMA before AND so that no student being misguided, please?
Thanks__

AsadAbu

EDIT: I checked the hard copy of 2016 first. I just checked the hard copy of OG 2018. That edition also correctly includes the comma.

I can confirm that the HARD copies of OG2019, OG2017, and OG2015 also ALL contain the comma.
AsadAbu Did you get some kind of a bootleg copy? Please do not confuse people!

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S
Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 09:57
generis wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:

Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal,
Thanks__

AsadAbu

I can confirm that the HARD copies of OG2019, OG2017, and OG2015 also ALL contain the comma.
AsadAbu Did you get some kind of a bootleg copy? Please do not confuse people![/quote]

Hello Everyone!

I copied the question directly from the online OG 2017 version on this site, which uses a comma. It also appears that there is a comma in all other hard copies as well, so let's keep it the way it is for now. The GMAT is in favor of using the Oxford comma in lists, so we need to stay consistent with their thoughts on using it.

Thank you to everyone who checked their hard copies to confirm! I'm sorry to hear you may have a typo in one of your guides, but it does seem that it appears in all the other guides. It also doesn't change the overall outcome of this question - the OA stays the same whether there is a comma there or not.

I hope this helps!
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 20:59

(A) that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as

(B) that of Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, and it informed his literary style as well as

(C) Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style and

(D) Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as

(E) Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style in addition to

my doubt is very small.
my POE
1. the usage is X,Y and Z and not X,Y and that of Z (wrong) -- rejected A and B

2. Knowledge is Singular and use of "were" is wrong -- rejected E

3. Between C and D -- D is rejected because of unknown reference of "it".

my question is that in C -- both X and Y should be parallel so
a. is X and Y a noun phrase
b. moreover, shouldnt they start from the same word (eg. both his ..... and his .....

daagh GMATNinja mikemcgarry
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 21:22
saurabh9gupta wrote:
my question is that in C -- both X and Y should be parallel so
a. is X and Y a noun phrase
b. moreover, shouldnt they start from the same word (eg. both his ..... and his .....

daagh GMATNinja mikemcgarry
1. You're right. In both his literary style and the content of his fiction, we are indeed looking at noun phrases.

Ignore the his literary and the of his fiction:
both his literary style and the content of his fiction

We are left with style and content.

Although style can also be a verb (in which case the meaning is usually "to design something in a particular way"), in this case it is a noun (meaning "a particular way of writing"). This content can only be a noun. There is another content (with a different pronunciation, usually used to mean "satisfied") that can be either an adjective or a verb.

2. Not necessarily. The "main word" is much more important than anything else you might see.

The council approved both your plans and our recommendations.
The council approved both your plans and the recommendations made by the consultants.
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 21:33
Top Contributor
saurabh9gupta

a. Yes. Both X and Y are noun phrases. Please remember broadly that if a set of words contains a noun and some other words that modify that noun, then it is a noun phrase. In this case, x namely 'his literary style', style is the noun modified by the possessive, 'his literary' and Y is the noun 'content' modified by the possessive of his fiction. Therefore, both are parallel.

b. May I ask you to complete the e.g. you have mentioned with the word 'his' for both x and y, and see how appropriate they are?

HTH!
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 21:44
daagh wrote:
saurabh9gupta

a. Yes. Both X and Y are noun phrases. Please remember broadly that if a set of words contains a noun and some other words that modify that noun, then it is a noun phrase. In this case, x namely 'his literary style', style is the noun modified by the possessive, 'his literary' and Y is the noun 'content' modified by the possessive of his fiction. Therefore, both are parallel.

b. May I ask you to complete the e.g. you have mentioned with the word 'his' for both x and y, and see how appropriate they are?

HTH!

thank you sir.
I can't think of any good example. It is just that I saw a few questions in which the X and the Y ( for closed markers) started with the same word and in some they didn't
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 2.36
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 06:19
GMATNinja

Can you explain why D is wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 13:20
swati7garg wrote:
GMATNinja

Can you explain why D is wrong?

Sure! (D) is wrong because the meaning is ambiguous. Take another look:

Quote:
(D) Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China, and Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as the content of his fiction.

There are two ways to interpret this sentence:

1) Akutagawa's knowledge of various literatures informed his literary style as much as this knowledge informed the content of his fiction.
    2) Akutagawa's knowledge of various literatures informed his literary style as much as the content of his fiction informed his literary style.

Compare this option with (C), in which it's crystal-clear that Akutagawa's knowledge informed both his style and his content. On the GMAT, clarity will trump ambiguity every time, so (C) is our answer.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 13:46
How informing is correct in C.
This should not be informed?
I am not able to understand

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2019, 08:05
[quote="imhimanshu"]Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China, and that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as the content of his fiction.

(A) that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as

(B) that of Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, and it informed his literary style as well as

(C) Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style and

(D) Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as

(E) Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style in addition to

I want to post again. last time, I did not realize the key problem.
there is a basic problem. this point is hard.

comma+doing shows not the second action, but another aspect of the action in the main clause. so, in choice C, informing is part of "was instrumental". we have no 2 actions inhere. we have just one action. this action inform and was instrumental.
choice C is similar to
the knowledge inform his style and content, being instrumental in his development.
I think this sentence is the same as choice C.

so, the serious problem with choice D is that. we have 2 actions here. the knowledge inform and the knowledge is instrumental. this is wrong. the knowledge do not do 2 actions separate . the knowledge do one action which is instrumental and inform .

it is realy hard to realize that two actions are only two aspects of the big action as is the case with choice C.
in fact, I think , comma+doing is a difficult pattern for us to learn.

when I learn gmat, she comes.
this is two actions. we can realize two separate actions easily because there are 2 agents/subject doing the two actions. but if there is one agent/subject. the matter is harder

I learn English when I cook the dinner.
this is clearly separate actions because cooking and learning can not be two aspects of a bigger action.

I learn english, reading english books.

there is only one action here. learning is reading . in our choice C, being instrumental in his development is informing his style and content.

choice D also have another error. this is bonus for us. meaning of "both style and content" is more logic than meaning of "as much as".

so, choice D has 2 errors. both errors are hard.

I dont think comparison in choice d is problematic.
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 10:25
ChrisLele wrote:
Here we have three items: A, B, and C. In this case, Europe, China, and Japan. There is no need for the 'that' before Japan. That eliminates (A) and (B).

Next, we have the subject 'knowledge', which is singular. Therefore the verb is 'was.' And just like that, we are at answer (D) :).

Chris, the answer here is C, not D. I think it is because of the as it... structure is not as efficient as that presented in C
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2019, 08:20
GMATNinja : Have a query regarding the phrase "informing..."

Here, it's modifying the subject of the main clause. Usually, modifiers modify the word immediately preceding the comma, or the entire noun phrase preceding the comma. How is this correct that it's modifying the subject of the main sentence?
B
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 09:36
daagh egmat

Isnt D a run on?
Knowledge was instrumental in his development as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as XYZ. Dont we need semi-colon here?
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 11:01
Top Contributor
Darshak

Structurally, D is not a run -on. This thread is abounding in the word 'as'. The first 'as' is a preposition and the second 'as' is a subordinate conjunction turning the whole sentence into a complex sentence. In a complex sentence, if the subordinate appears in the later part is always joined/ separated by a comma and not with a semi-colon. Per se, after punctuating with a semi colon, the second part will continue to be a DC and will be grammatically wrong.
Please see whether there are any other valid reasons in the choice, if you want to reject it.
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 03:30

Europe,Chaina and Japan is the correct parallel structure( So A is Wrong)

Europe,Chaina and Japan is the correct parallel structure( So b is Wrong)

Correct One

It is ambiguous: We are not sure, it is referring to Knowledge or Development( So this is Wrong)

Were use is Wrong. Tom,Dik and Harry is going to school. (Correct)( So this opt is Wrong)

If this post is helpful for you please press the kudos button
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2019, 18:29
himswarn wrote:
GMATNinja : Have a query regarding the phrase "informing..."

Here, it's modifying the subject of the main clause. Usually, modifiers modify the word immediately preceding the comma, or the entire noun phrase preceding the comma. How is this correct that it's modifying the subject of the main sentence?

The phrase "informing..." actually modifies the entire preceding clause.

"Akutagawa‘s knowledge was instrumental, informing both X and Y." The first part of the sentence tells that the knowledge WAS instrumental. The modifier beginning with "informing" tells us more about how, exactly, "Akutagawa's knowledge was instrumental." So the modifier describes the entire clause, and not just the subject.

I hope that helps a bit!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 20:10
Both X and Y,

Why do we need both if and is present- is it redundant?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2019, 13:50
aakash214 wrote:
Both X and Y,

Why do we need both if and is present- is it redundant?

Hello aakash214!

That is a great question! When we use the word "both" in the idiom "both X and Y," it is mainly there to provide extra emphasis. There is nothing wrong with taking out the word "both," especially if you find yourself saying it several times in the same paragraph. It's just something we do in English to add emphasis to the pair of items/people we're trying to focus on - it's not there because it MUST be there.

I hope that helps!
Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2019, 13:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 59 posts ] 

Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics