GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 15:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

S99-14

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
S99-14 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:31) correct 63% (01:18) wrong based on 111 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Simplastic language has only 2 unique values and 3 unique consonants. Every noun in Simplastic has the structure CVCVC, where C stands for a consonant and V stands for a vowel. How many different nouns are possible in Simplastic?

A. 9
B. 12
C. 36
D. 72
E. 108

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re S99-14 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:53
Official Solution:

The Simplastic language has only 2 unique values and 3 unique consonants. Every noun in Simplastic has the structure CVCVC, where C stands for a consonant and V stands for a vowel. How many different nouns are possible in Simplastic?

A. 9
B. 12
C. 36
D. 72
E. 108

This Combinatorics problem asks you to compute the number of possible nouns in Simplastic, given the template CVCVC.

We have a series of successive choices:
  • Pick the first consonant
  • Pick the first vowel
  • Pick the second consonant
  • Pick the second vowel
  • Pick the third consonant

So we need to count the choices we have at each stage, and then multiply these choices together. We have 3 choices for each consonant and 2 choices for each vowel. Note that we can reuse consonants and vowels. For instance, imagine that the consonants are {g, l, t} and the vowels are {a, u}. Here are some valid nouns in Simplastic:

gagag

gulat

lugul

Thus, we write \(3 \times 2 \times 3 \times 2 \times 3 = 108\).

Answer: E

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE: Psychology and Counseling (Other)
Re: S99-14 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 11:23
Same way, using the slot method:

We need the nouns to be of the form CVCVC

We draw the slots:
__....__....__...__...__

Now, we have 3 options for C and 2 options for V and the slots will be filled in like this:
3....2....3....2....3 --> 3^3*2^2 = 108. ANS E

This is easily seen if you pick letters for the Cs and the Vs:
Cs will be B,C,D
Vs will be A,E

The slots now become:
C....V....C....V....C
B...A....B....A....B
C...E....C....E....C
D........D...........D

However, these are only some of the options, as the Cs and the Vs can be swapped. So, instead of B being first, C r D can be first, and instead of A being first E can be first. In other words, there are 3*2 options for the first pair of C and V and 3*2 options for the second pair of C and V and 3 remaining options for the last C, leading to 6*6*3 = 108.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 20:44
good ques.... tricked me into selecting 12. I didnt notice that repetition is allowed. Silly mistake.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User
Re S99-14 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 12:29
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. Hello!

I think the first stated "value" should be a "vowel"
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 2.91
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 09:05
AA2014 wrote:
good ques.... tricked me into selecting 12. I didnt notice that repetition is allowed. Silly mistake.

Same mistake mate.. :cry:

+1 Kudo, if my post helped

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 03:56
The word value tricked me. I guess it has to be "vowel"
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: CBS '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
S99-14 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 03:04
I'm wondering why the initial selection of the consonants and vowels didn't factor into the calculation. I agree that such a high number isn't in any of the options.

The initial 3 consonants and 2 vowels can be any of the 21 and 5 consonants and vowels resp. in the english alphabet? I think the only thing that makes this wrong is the assumption that the Vowels and Consonants in Simplastic is taken from English, and it doesn't say that anywhere.

I got 21C3 X 5C2 X 108
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 03:23
rbramkumar wrote:
I'm wondering why the initial selection of the consonants and vowels didn't factor into the calculation. I agree that such a high number isn't in any of the options.

The initial 3 consonants and 2 vowels can be any of the 21 and 5 consonants and vowels resp. in the english alphabet? I think the only thing that makes this wrong is the assumption that the Vowels and Consonants in Simplastic is taken from English, and it doesn't say that anywhere.

I got 21C3 X 5C2 X 108

Because it's Simplastic language (which has 2 unique vowels and 3 unique consonants only), not English.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 03:24
Bunuel wrote:

A. 9
B. 12
C. 36
D. 72
E. 108

Alternation solution:

The nouns have fixed structure C-V-C-V-C. Now, each C can take 3 values (let's say X, Y or Z) and each V can take 2 values (let's say A or E), so there will be 3*2*3*2*3=108 nouns possible.

Answer: E.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: HBS '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GRE 1: 332 Q164 V168
GPA: 3.57
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 16:31
'values" should be "vowels"

Kindly press the +1Kudos if you like the explanation. Thanks a lot!!!

Re: S99-14   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2018, 16:31

S99-14

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap