Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8529 [51]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [9]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [5]
Given Kudos: 8
 Q49  V29 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1331 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Re: Sales of United States manufactured goods to nonindustrialized countri [#permalink]
fine E is right and whatever, but can someone explain what precisely is wrong with C ? if you are sure , give your precise reason for rejecting C.
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [2]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: Sales of United States manufactured goods to nonindustrialized countri [#permalink]
Bookmarks
garimavyas wrote:
fine E is right and whatever, but can someone explain what precisely is wrong with C ? if you are sure , give your precise reason for rejecting C.

which is 14 percent more than the previous year was the wrong part. Here which is just after the Year and a comma. So, as if, which is indicating the year. But this is wrong. There has to be something that indicates the amount. C is directly mentioning the percentage without linking it with the amount of money. That's the reason why E is correct. Because, it's rectified the wrong-part given in the question stem.
Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1820 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
By touch rule, "which" touching 1992 incorrectly modifies the year. Hence, eliminate A, B and C.
"plugging in an amount" explicitly shows which is being modified.

(A) which is 14 percent more than the previous year
(B) which is 14 percent higher than it was the previous year
(C) 14 percent higher than the previous year’s figure

"an amount [that is 14% more than the previous year's figure]" clearly modifies the amount and compares amount in 1992 and of the previous year. In D, "was" is unnecessary and redundant... .

(D) an amount that is 14 percent more than the previous year was

Answer: E

(E) an amount that is 14 percent higher than the previous year’s figure
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi egmat / GMATNinja,

Please explain how is E correct. Don't we need a "that" in front of "largely offsets..." in order to maintain parallelism ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Sometimes choosing the right answer is not aiming for the absolutely correct answer but to eliminate the bad answers.

A and B should be eliminated outright because which modifies 1992 directly (and falsely). C is very obscure in meaning because a modifier is usually placed right next to the thing it modifies. This leaves D and E.

By meaning, D is blatantly wrong because it compares the amount with the previous year.

By meaning (and also after elimination), E is the best choice.

Previously, I also doubted the strict parallelism rule. Yet, I remember reading somewhere about the current type of parallelism in the sentence and it is accepted. I think it depends on how clear the comparison refers to. This may be hard for non-native English speakers because the native speakers may "play by ear" in these types of sentences.

aviejay wrote:
Hi egmat / GMATNinja,

Please explain how is E correct. Don't we need a "that" in front of "largely offsets..." in order to maintain parallelism ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
blayel wrote:
Sometimes choosing the right answer is not aiming for the absolutely correct answer but to eliminate the bad answers.

A and B should be eliminated outright because which modifies 1992 directly (and falsely). C is very obscure in meaning because a modifier is usually placed right next to the thing it modifies. This leaves D and E.

By meaning, D is blatantly wrong because it compares the amount with the previous year.

Previously, I also doubted the strict parallelism rule. Yet, I remember reading somewhere about the current type of parallelism in the sentence and it is accepted. I think it depends on how clear the comparison refers to. This may be hard for non-native English speakers because the native speakers may "play by ear" in these types of sentences.

aviejay wrote:
Hi egmat / GMATNinja,

Hi Blayel,

I really appreciate your response, but I would like to disagree with your analysis. Here is my analysis:

A: Here, "which" does not modify 1992 but rather it correctly modifies "$167 billion". I understand that ", which" directly modifies the noun before the comma but there are exceptions. Here "in 1992" modifies "167 billion" and thus ",which" modifies "$167 billion". The reason this option should be eliminated is there is a comparison error. This option compares the increase to "previous year".

A similar example is " I killed a snake with scales, which was entering the garden". This is a correct sentence. Logic precedes grammar.

B: This option should be eliminated because the option uses "it" in the phrase "higher than it was the previous year". The other side of the comparison uses "sales" which is plural

C: Hold. "14 percent higher than the previous year’s figure" correctly modifies "$167 billion in 1992". However, I also understand that in this case "Sales of United States manufactured goods to non industrialized countries" becomes the source of the list and that "rose to $167 billion in 1992" and "largely offsets weak demand from Europe and Japan." are the elements in the list, which are not parallel on grounds of verb tense.

D: Same as B. Comparison error

E: Looks correct but then I noticed that "that" was missing before "largely offsets...". "That" is needed here to maintain parallelism. Hence eliminated.

egmat / GMATNinja,

Kindly let me know if my analysis approach is correct though I marked C, which is wrong. Please let me know where am I going wrong. Especially, please explain how is E correct.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aviejay wrote:
blayel wrote:

aviejay wrote:
Hi egmat / GMATNinja,

Hi Blayel,

I really appreciate your response, but I would like to disagree with your analysis. Here is my analysis:

A: Here, "which" does not modify 1992 but rather it correctly modifies "$167 billion". I understand that ", which" directly modifies the noun before the comma but there are exceptions. Here "in 1992" modifies "167 billion" and thus ",which" modifies "$167 billion". The reason this option should be eliminated is there is a comparison error. This option compares the increase to "previous year".

A similar example is " I killed a snake with scales, which was entering the garden". This is a correct sentence. Logic precedes grammar.

B: This option should be eliminated because the option uses "it" in the phrase "higher than it was the previous year". The other side of the comparison uses "sales" which is plural

C: Hold. "14 percent higher than the previous year’s figure" correctly modifies "$167 billion in 1992". However, I also understand that in this case "Sales of United States manufactured goods to non industrialized countries" becomes the source of the list and that "rose to $167 billion in 1992" and "largely offsets weak demand from Europe and Japan." are the elements in the list, which are not parallel on grounds of verb tense.

D: Same as B. Comparison error

E: Looks correct but then I noticed that "that" was missing before "largely offsets...". "That" is needed here to maintain parallelism. Hence eliminated.

egmat / GMATNinja,

Kindly let me know if my analysis approach is correct though I marked C, which is wrong. Please let me know where am I going wrong. Especially, please explain how is E correct.

It is not necessary to repeat "that". We can assume that it exists for both.

"... that A and B" is fine.
"... that A and that B" is fine too.
"... that A, that B and C" is not correct.

If you repeat it for one of the other elements, you must repeat for all. Else you repeat for none.

Sometimes you might need to repeat some words to show which elements are parallel to which. Here is a post that explains this: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2018/0 ... lism-part/

(E) is correct.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
noboru wrote:
613. Sales of United States manufactured goods to nonindustrialized countries rose to $167 billion in 1992, which is 14 percent more than the previous year and largely offsets weak demand from Europe and Japan.

Imo E

A very good example of the absolute phrase .
In original sentence we have two absolute phrases connected by and .
A is out for using which incorrectly
B Again same error as A
C We have noun missing to have proper Noun + modifier phrase
D Incorrect comparison and parallelism
E correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Sales of United States manufactured goods to nonindustrialized countries rose to $167 billion in 1992, which is 14 percent more than the previous year and largely offsets weak demand from Europe and Japan.

NOTE = % IS ALWAYS HIGHER / GREATER
there are high chances that part after comma is a noun+ noun modifier because
HINT 1 = THE PART AFTER comma is not independent clause
HINT 2 = there is no proper connection between these two clauses
HINT 3 = part after comma talks abt noun used in first clause . NOUN MODIFIER doesnt abide touch rule . So it can modify ANY NOUN in previous clause.

(A) which is 14 percent more than the previous year -- REJECT
(B) which is 14 percent higher than it was the previous year - REJECT
(C) 14 percent higher than the previous year’s figure -REJECT NOT A NOUN MODIFIER
(D) an amount that is 14 percent more than the previous year was - AN AMT has been compared with YEAR . we need year's amt /fig
(E) an amount that is 14 percent higher than the previous year’s figure- CORRECT
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Both Options D and E use the absolute phrase to describe the amount $167 billion, making it superior to the Options A, B, and C.

We can eliminate A and D for comparison errors as it takes amount and previous year into consideration.

Eliminate B for the suspect which – ambiguity.

Eliminate Option C for having no preceding subject. This can escape us if we don’t substitute it back into the question and read what follows: 14 percent higher than the previous year’s figure and largely offsets weak demand from E and J.

E is the best option!

Hope this helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
[/quote]It is not necessary to repeat "that". We can assume that it exists for both.

"... that A and B" is fine.
"... that A and that B" is fine too.
"... that A, that B and C" is not correct.

If you repeat it for one of the other elements, you must repeat for all. Else you repeat for none.

Sometimes you might need to repeat some words to show which elements are parallel to which. Here is a post that explains this: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2018/0 ... lism-part/

(E) is correct.[/quote]

when we have two that clauses , dont we use ---- That... A , and that.. B ... Similarly, which... A , and which... B . I have seen such usage on official question , could you please clarify ?
Tagging experts VeritasKarishma GMATNinja IanStewart
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Since "amount" in answer choice E refers to the $167 bn, shouldn't amount be replaced with "number" because 167 bn is clearly countable? I thought the answer had to be entirely correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Why cant which modify 167 billion as "in 1992" acts as a prepositional modifier? Many questions have previously seen this.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
Why cant which modify 167 billion as "in 1992" acts as a prepositional modifier? Many questions have previously seen this.

Hi

For which to act as a prepositional modifier modifying "167 billion", the verb following which should make it unambiguous that "which" acts in such a way. In this instance, both "sales...167 billion" and "1992" are singular, and the verb after "which" is also singular("is"). In such a case, we should consider "which" to modify the nearest noun/noun idea.

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Sales of United States manufactured goods to nonindustrialized countri [#permalink]
noboru wrote:
Sales of United States manufactured goods to nonindustrialized countries rose to $167 billion in 1992, which is 14 percent more than the previous year and largely offsets weak demand from Europe and Japan.

KarishmaB is "more than" correct in (D) Or do we need to use "higher than" in this sentence? Please could you help me understand when to use more/less than and when to use higher/lower than?

I thought "less than, more than" are sed for uncountable nouns. And since "amount" is uncountable we need "less than" GMATNinja gave an example in this post https://gmatclub.com/forum/even-though- ... l#p2432151
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
noboru wrote:

KarishmaB is "more than" correct in (D) Or do we need to use "higher than" in this sentence? Please could you help me understand when to use more/less than and when to use higher/lower than?

I thought "less than, more than" are sed for uncountable nouns. And since "amount" is uncountable we need "less than" GMATNinja gave an example in this post https://gmatclub.com/forum/even-though- ... l#p2432151

Hello Hoozan,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, both "more than" and "higher than" can be used to refer to uncountable nouns, although both are not suitable for all such nouns.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
since the , which rule isnt absolute would this option work:

which is 14 percent higher the previous years figure?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts