Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 25 May 2017, 05:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 128 [3] , given: 2

Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2009, 19:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.

A)they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease
B)after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again
C)in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again
D)with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again
E)a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA:A, please explain differences.. B looks ok
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2267 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2016, 05:17
chetan2u wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Thank you Chetan and Sukanya for a healthy and fruitful discussion. This will surely be beneficial for all of us. :)

On British Council website I found some material that states that "Participle clauses are a form of adverbial clause". Please find the link below:

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org ... le-clauses

What is your view on this?

One of the examples is " Shouting loudly, Peter walked home", which seems very similar to the one we are discussing about.

Hi sayan,

I just went through the link..
It does mention participal phrase but gives examples where it clearly is adjectivial phrase..
Shouting loudly, Peter walked home...
clearly 'Shouting loudly' is modifying Peter..

I tried further search on Participal phrase..
word 'adjective' also POPS up along with 'Participal phrase' everytime...
In every link, it is mentioned that PP is adjective..

so difficult to say anything on the link sent by you..
Although the example given by them show the opposite, it mentions PP as adverbial...
BTW wikipedia is another one which talks of them as also adverbial phrase

But yes the majority or I would say all other than the 2 above and may be 1 odd more talk of participle as adjective..

Even the meaning of participle as per dictionaries is adjective..
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/participle

Hi Chetan,

In order to get to a concrete end, I pulled out my old Wren & Martin grammar book, my bible for English grammar . I found that you are absolutely right :D. This is an excerpt from the book:

"CHAPTER 29
THE PARTICIPLE
260. Read this sentence:-
Hearing the noise, the boy woke up.
The word hearing qualifies the noun boy as an Adjective does.
It is formed from the Verb hear, and governs an object.
The word hearing, therefore, partakes of the nature of both a Verb and an Adjective, and
is called a Participle. It may be called a Verbal Adjective.
Def. - A participle is that form of the Verb which partakes of the nature both of a Verb
and of an Adjective.
[Or] A participle is a word which is partly a Verb and partly an adjective.
[Note. - The phrase 'Hearing the noise', which is introduced by a Principle, is called a
Participle Phrase. According to its use here, it is an Adjective Phrase.]
261. Study the following examples of Participles:
1. We met a girl carrying a basket of flowers.
2. Loudly knocking at the gate, he demanded admission.
3. The child, thinking all was safe, attempted to cross the road.
4. He rushed into the field, and foremost fighting fell "

Example 2 and 3 above are similar to the one we have been discussing.
Thank you for the discussion.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 300 [0], given: 69

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 06:25
kiranjith wrote:
Sales of wines declined in the late1980s,but they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.

(A) they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease
(B) after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again
(C) in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again
(D) with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again
(E) a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again

In choice A why isn't ",and" in ", and particularly of red wine, with ...." not followed by a Independent clause?Isn't that mandatory?is "and" really necessary?

(A) they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease. 'they' correctly refers to 'sales of wines'. correct parallelism- 'moderate consumption OF alcohol, and particularly OF red wine'

(B) after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again 'they' is very far from 'sales of wines'. Also 'to grow' is better than 'growing'

(C) in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again 'which' wrongly modifies 'consumption of red wine'

(D) with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again. Not the intended meaning

(E) a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again 'in particular red wine' ??

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Director
Director
B
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 23:31
abhibad wrote:
I thought in A, the subject "the report" needs a verb, like after the report....was published. Is that an incorrect expectation?

Hi Abhijit, after can actually be used both as a preposition and as a conjunction.

Sales of wines began to grow again after the 1991 report.
- after used as a preposition (after is followed by a noun phrase the 1991 report)

Sales of wines began to grow again after the 1991 report was published.
- after used as a conjunction (after is followed by a clause the 1991 report was published)

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 14:38
LM wrote:
Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.

(A)they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.
(B) after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again
(C) in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again
(D) with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again
(E) a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again

There are many ways to cancel the option B, C, D, and E. But, I'm going to just talk about to cancel option A.
Here is the correct sentence:
In this sentence, the first part is independent clause (Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s). Then there is a comma (,)-not semicolon. After comma there is a coordinating conjunction (but). That means: both the sentence will be independent clause. Here is a difference between two independent clauses: the first independent clause is a direct sentence (subject+predicate) and the second independent clause starts with coordinating conjunction (but), which is not in underlined portion. So, will I be sure that the next word (after coordinating conjunction 'but') MUST be start with NOUN or PRONOUN of the core sentence?
Thanks Expert...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 02:57
19941010 wrote:
GMATPill wrote:

This is a good example of the GMAT guys throwing in answer choices in the passive voice (C), (D), and (E).

Passive is not necessarily wrong--just keep an eye out for it as it is usually NOT PREFERRED.

(C): "which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease"

(D): "with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report"

(E): "a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption"

Notice (A) is phrased "they began to grow after the [report] that linked [A] with [b]" is clearer and stronger in the active voice.
(B) is also stronger in active voice "the 1991 report that linked [A] with [B]".

Also in (B), "a moderate alcohol consumption" can simply be "moderate alcohol consumption."

Hi !
great explanation ! i have a doubt in the construction of option A - "they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease. " why is there ,and before particularly ? what would happen if we were to eliminate ,and ?

here, Comma (,)+'and' is used to make parallelism between 'of alcohol' and 'of red wine'
Hope it clears.
Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: delhi university
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: SPJ PGPM"17
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 04:47
iMyself wrote:
19941010 wrote:
GMATPill wrote:

This is a good example of the GMAT guys throwing in answer choices in the passive voice (C), (D), and (E).

Passive is not necessarily wrong--just keep an eye out for it as it is usually NOT PREFERRED.

(C): "which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease"

(D): "with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report"

(E): "a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption"

Notice (A) is phrased "they began to grow after the [report] that linked [A] with [b]" is clearer and stronger in the active voice.
(B) is also stronger in active voice "the 1991 report that linked [A] with [B]".

Also in (B), "a moderate alcohol consumption" can simply be "moderate alcohol consumption."

Hi !
great explanation ! i have a doubt in the construction of option A - "they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease. " why is there ,and before particularly ? what would happen if we were to eliminate ,and ?

here, Comma (,)+'and' is used to make parallelism between 'of alcohol' and 'of red wine'
Hope it clears.
Thanks...

thanks for the explanation. but, i'm still not quite sure . i thought that ,and was used only in 2 situations-
1. X,Y,AND Z - parallel
2. IC ,AND IC - separate independent clause

can you please clarify why not a simple (without comma) and was used to draw parallel b/n alcohol and red wine ?
thanks a lot !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 08:50
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
iMyself wrote:
Hope it clears.
Thanks...

I'm not an expert. I also ask question in this forum so as to get response from expert.
As far i know, comma (,)+'and' is used for 3 reasons.like below:
1) to make list (where at list 3 things of list)
2) 'comma+ coordinated conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet)+subject' to make independent clause.
3) to make parallelism
also, the use of only 'and' (not comma+and) is used to make parallelism though they treats as 2 different ideas.
if i make any mistake please help expert.
Thanks...

Regarding comma + "and" combination, remembering the following two rules would be enough in my opinion:

1. In a list comma before "and" is optional.
I like the colors red, blue and green.... correct
I like the colors red, blue, and green.... correct

2. When joining two independent clauses comma + "and" is mandatory. When joining two verbs "and" WITHOUT comma is mandatory.

I play and sing... correct
I play, and sing... wrong
I play and I sing... wrong
I play, and I sing... correct

Brother, the red part makes me confused. Normally, when we make a list of, at least, 3 things then 'comma'+'and' is mandatory.
But, if we don't make any list of, at least, 3 things, then the sentence will be ok, if the second item and third item, simultaneously, modify the 1st item. Otherwise, it will not be ok.
Here, in your example:
I like the colors red, blue and green.
In this example, the 2nd item (blue) and the 3rd item (green) don't simultaneously modify the 1st item (red color).
If I say:
I'm writing a letter to Asma, my mom and the grandmother of my child.
In this example, there are just 1 person. Here, "my mom and the grandmother of my child" modify Asma.
Thanks brother...

N.B. Here, Asma is my mother name.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 09:51
19941010 wrote:
haha.. right ! totally forgot about the abbreviations ! b/n = between and IC = independent clause.Also, what i meant was what if we don't use ",and" and instead just use ",particularly"
thanks

................1st part................. , ..................2nd part...................
If you don't use ''and'' after comma, you'll get 2 scenarios (as far I know-I'm not an expert, remember!)
1) If the 1st part and the 2nd part becomes independent clause separately, THAT sentence will be considered as run-on sentence. Run-on sentence is treated as wrong sentence in GMAT.
2) If the second part becomes dependent clause (2nd part depends on 1st part; it is considered as modifier of 1st part) and vice-versa or ''direct result'' of the 1st part, then THAT sentence is perfectly fine.
Here, ''direct result'' means ''cause and effect'' situation.
Thanks...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 11:22
Split1) Parallelism. A says "of alcohol" and "of red wine" . B,C,D and E are not parallel.

Split2) Modifier. In B, red wine incorrectly refers to consumption. Red wine is not a form of consumption, red wine is a form of alcohol.

Split3) SV but SV. In A you can "Sales + declined" = S + V. and then says "but" => S + V = "they began". or in other words = "S+V + but + S+V" => clear way to express yourself. B, C,D and E have the subject "they" at the end of the sentence => creates confusion => makes the sentences passive, unclear, awkward.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 09:43
Please help me to identify clauses and subject verb in the question stem.
Please review below:
Sales- Subject
of wines- prepositional phrase
declined- verb
in the late 1980s- prepositional phrase
Sales......1980s- this is IC
IC, but IC- after but we need an independent clause

After but- 'they' refers to sales- they is subject?
began- Is this verb here?
to grow- is not a verb
again...1991 report - prepositional phrase
that- Subject?
linked- verb?

Please confirm
Manager
Manager
B
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 32

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 18:07
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2267 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 16:22
warrioroflight wrote:
Please help me to identify clauses and subject verb in the question stem.
Please review below:
Sales- Subject
of wines- prepositional phrase
declined- verb
in the late 1980s- prepositional phrase
Sales......1980s- this is IC
IC, but IC- after but we need an independent clause

After but- 'they' refers to sales- they is subject?
began- Is this verb here?
to grow- is not a verb
that- Subject?
linked- verb?

Please confirm

After but- 'they' refers to sales- they is subject?... yes - it is the subject of the second IC.
began- Is this verb here?.... yes - it is the verb of the second IC.
to grow- is not a verb
that- Subject?.... yes - it is the subject of the relative clause "that linked moderate consumption ... reduced risk of heart disease."
linked- verb?... yes - it is the verb of the above-mentioned relative clause.
Math Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 551 [0], given: 60

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 22:50

A)they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease- Correct
B)after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again - Modifier " moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, ..." is incorrect - "(particularly) red wine" is not an example of "alcohol consumption". note that it's an example of alcohol itself, but not an example of alcohol consumption.
C)in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again-
moderate alcohol consumption did not grow in the 1991 report
D)with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again- Modifier in particular red wine does not modify anything . Red wine is not a type of alcohol consumption but is an alcohol
E)a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again - in particular red wine isn't parallel to anything . If we remove the modifier a reduced ... report, we get a nonsensical sentence

Answer A

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 00:08
MY CHOICE A

MODERATE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION IS LOGICAL

THAT OF RED WINE

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 20:53

A)they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease
B)after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again
C)in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again
D)with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again
E)a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again

The first sentence is correct because 'they' refer to the sales while in the first sentence we can specifically identify that they is referring to the sales and in the other sentences the word they can be referring to any of the many nouns present in the sentence.
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 00:12
ANS A)

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 99

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 04:25
daagh wrote:
(A) they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease-------- perfect foil

(B) after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again --------The absence of the preposition turns the red wine without proper link to the mainstream; In addition, the placement of the reduced risk before the moderate consumption blurs the sequence of cause and effect.

(C) in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again --- moderate consumption caused them to begin to grow again— distorted meaning

(D) with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again ---- The reduced risk seems to be linked with moderate consumption only in the report. In addition, the improper sequence of cause and effect is a problem.

E. a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again----The reduced risk seems to have started them growing again; wrong meaning

The original is the best bet

Hi Daag Sir,

I had a severe confusion between A and B and was not able to make a choice. I was not fully able to support option A as a correct sentence because of the below reason,

Analyzing the meaning of the sentence in 1991 report the 'moderate consumption of alcohol' was linked with 'a reduced risk of heart disease'. The 'Consumption of Red wine' was a modifier and bear an example of particular type of alcohol consumption. So why this 'AND' required here? Is not it an incorrect sentence which OG is asking us to choose over other incorrect sentences?
Manager
Manager
B
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 07:04
I3igDmsu wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA:A, please explain differences.. B looks ok

A Correct
B "Red wine" is not an example of "alcohol consumption."
C "Which" modifies "[consumption] of red wine," but the report linked "moderate consumption of alcohol" with the "reduced risk."
D "Red wine" is not an example of "alcohol consumption."
E "Red wine" is not an example of "alcohol consumption."
Re: Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to   [#permalink] 15 May 2017, 07:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 38 posts ]