Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [127]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [61]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [28]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The company announced that its profits declined much less in the secon [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
I3igDmsu wrote:
The company announced that its profits declined much less in the second quarter than analysts had expected it to and its business will improve in the second half of the year.

(A) had expected it to and its business will improve

(B) had expected and that its business would improve

(C) expected it would and that it will improve its business

(D) expected them to and its business would improve

(E) expected and that it will have improved its business

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the company's profits declined much less in the second quarter than analysts expected and the company's business would improve in the second half of the year.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses + Parallelism + Pronouns

• The past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past".
• The simple past tense is used to refer to the later of two events that concluded in the past.
• Any elements linked by a conjunction (“and” in this sentence) must be parallel.
• The future perfect tense (marked by the use of “will have”) is used for referring to an action that will end at a particular point in time in the future.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the singular pronoun “it” to refer to the plural noun “profits”. Further, Option A fails to maintain parallelism between “that its profits declined much less in the second quarter than analysts had expected it to” and “its business will improve in the second half of the year”; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction (“and” in this sentence) must be parallel.

B: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the past perfect tense verb “had expected” to refer to the earlier of two actions that took place in the past - the analysts’ expectations regarding profits and the actual decline in profits. Further, Option B uses the phrase “that its business would improve”, conveying the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence- that the company's business would improve, on its own, in the second half of the year. Additionally, Option B correctly uses the singular pronoun “its” to refer to the singular noun “company”. Moreover, Option B maintains parallelism between “that its profits declined much less in the second quarter than analysts had expected” and “that its business would improve in the second half of the year”.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the singular pronoun “it” to refer to the plural noun phrase “profits”. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb “expected” to refer to the earlier of two events, the analysts’ expectations regarding profits and the actual decline in profits; please remember, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past". Additionally, Option C alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “it will improve its business…”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the company will take action to improve its business in the second half of the year; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that the company's business would improve, on its own, in the second half of the year.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb “expected” to refer to the earlier of two events, the analysts’ expectations regarding profits and the actual decline in profits; please remember, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past". Further, Option D fails to maintain parallelism between “that its profits declined much less in the second quarter than analysts expected them to” and “its business would improve in the second half of the year”; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction (“and” in this sentence) must be parallel.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb “expected” to refer to the earlier of two events, the analysts’ expectations regarding profits and the actual decline in profits; please remember, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past". Further, Option E alters the meaning of the sentence through the clause “it will have improved its business”; the construction of this phrase and the use of the future perfect tense (marked by the use of “will have”) incorrectly imply that by the second half of the year, the company will have taken action to improve its business; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that the company's business would improve, on its own, in the second half of the year; please remember, the future perfect tense (marked by the use of “will have”) is used for referring to an action that will end at a particular point in time in the future.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Past Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Future Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 2: 620
Send PM
Re: The company announced that its profits declined much less in the secon [#permalink]
Kudos
Without seeing the spoiler I got B in first look.

The sentence is in past perfect tense, with analysts expected earlier in time and profits declined later in time.

So C, D, and E are out. Now the choice is between A and B.

A is incorrect because of no clear antecedents (precedent) of pronoun "it". [Thanks Allen for correcting me that pronoun have antecedent and not precedent..........:)]

Hence B is the answer.

Originally posted by humans on 01 Jun 2009, 20:49.
Last edited by humans on 02 Jun 2009, 00:27, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Kudos
I think humans' explanation is great.

I think the antecedent of "it" in answer A is clear, but "it" is singular when the sentence is refering to "profits" which is plural. I think this is an error that is easier to notice. This same reason also means C is wrong. D seems awkward like "them to" is unnecessary. It's certainly implied, but I think we need "had expected" for past tense (past perfect?).

I3igDmsu wrote:
The company announced that its profits declined much less in the second quarter than analysts had expected it to and its business will improve in the second half of the year.

A) had expected it to and its business will improve
B) had expected and that its business would improve
C) expected it would and that it will improve its business
D) expected them to and its business would improve
E) expected and that it will have improved its business

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Bookmarks
Two events had happened in the PAST
-----Analyst expected (first event/older event) ----->Profit declined(second event/new event)-----> direction of flow of time

When two event happen in the past the older event takes "Had+ed verb" and the recent event takes "ed verb"
so C,D,E are out
A and B remaining

A is out because the expectation are for future, so WOULD is the correct tense to use.

I3igDmsu wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:General Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks

The earlier past action, had expected, pairs with a simple past action, declined: first, analysts expected the company profits (and possibly rose or declined) and, later, the company announced the profits declined.
Hence eliminate C,D and E.
In A, "will" cannot be accepted since this construction expresses the future from the point of view of the past: "the company announced that"

Hence C correct.

A) had expected it to and its business will --- Parallelism and Verb Tense
B) had expected and that its business would improve --- CORRECT
C) expected it would and that it will improve its business --- Verb Tense
D) expected them to and its business would improve --- Verb Tense
E) expected and that it will have improved its business --- Verb Tense
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [1]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos

1st Split -- Had Expected vs Expected
Draw a Time Line for easy understanding and to check whether the usage of DOUBLE PAST is actually required?

PAST___________________T1____________________T2_______________PRESENT
T1 - Analysts had expected profits to decline to some value, say X.
T2 - Profits declined to a value, say Y (where, Y<X)

As we can see we need a VERB SEQUENCING here, to arrange the two events that happened in the past at different time frames T1 and T2.

This eliminates choices C,D, and E.

2nd Split : PRONOUN NUMBER AGREEMENT ERROR.

As "it" is referring back to profits so we need "them" instead of "it".

This eliminates choices A and C.

3rd Split : WILL vs WOULD
As the announcement is done in the past, so the usage of WOULD is correct.

This eliminates choices A, C, and E.

4th Split:
As per the intended meaning the company announced two things. SO we need a structure like -- company announced that........ and that...... Choices in which that is missing after the "and" are incorrect. Because otherwise, it will indicate a beginning of a new Independent Clause and the intended meaning will be lost.

This eliminates choices A and D.

Edit --- Also, I missed one thing -- the usage of "expected it to" AND "expected them to" is INCORRECT. Only using "expected" would suffice. :)

So, choice B is the clear winner. 8-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5649 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Meaning and error analysis:
The moment I saw 'had', I started making my time line.

analysts setting expectation in past >>>>>> profits declined ---- making perfect sense.

(A) had expected it to and its business will improve --- time line is correct. what it refers to ? quarter or profits or company. Should be profit. but then profit's business does not make any sense.
(B) had expected and that its business would improve --- As soon as I saw 'and that' I am looking for parallelism . so where is another that or what this 'that' refers to ? "The company announced that its business would improve ......" here 'its' refer to the company.
(C) expected it would and that it will improve its business ---- timeline mismatch, pronoun errors.
(D) expected them to and its business would improve --- timeline mismatch, pronoun errors.
(E) expected and that it will have improved its business --- timeline mismatch, pronoun errors.

Correct answer should be B.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5649 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
As I have finished this SC, I saw 'will have' 'would have' in options and I did some research around it. Hope it will be helpful for others too.

Will, would, and have are auxiliary verbs used to form different tenses.

'Will' is used to form Future Simple, to describe something that takes place in the future.
Quote:
I will be there.
Meaning: I am not there. But I plan to be there at some point in the future.
I will do that.
Meaning: I am not doing it right now. But I plan to do it at some point in the future.

'Will have' is used to form Future Perfect, to describe something that not simply takes place in the future, but is completed ("perfected") at some reference point in the future.

Quote:
I will have done that by the end of the week.
Meaning: I will do that, and at the reference point (end of the week), my action will be over; I will be able to say "I have done it".

'Would' is a past-tense form of will. If you are writing about past events, you can use it to indicate something that was in the future at that point in time, but is not necessarily in the future right now. In other words, you use would to preserve the future aspect when talking about the past.

Quote:
She said that she would visit me.
Meaning: This is the same as: She said, "I will visit you". It's called making verb tenses "agree".
I thought she would have visited me by now, but she hasn't.
Would is also used as a modal verb to indicate a conditional or subjunctive mood, or to "soften" what is being said:

I would love to see that movie.
If I had a hammer, I would use it as often as possible.
Would you give me that book, please?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:

It is true that such a great split as 'expected' and 'had expected' is not an easy thing to ward off. Nevertheless, whoever cannot decide on this split can make do without that as per the following algorithm.

A. had expected it to -- what does the 'it' refer to? We are discussing 'profits' here and 'profits' is plural. Therefore, it is a wrong diction. In addition, the important 'that' parallelism is missing. Drop A.
B. the correct answer- Both the above mistakes have been rectified.
C. Same pronoun problem in A. Plus the shift of tense between the two arms of a reported speech is too eye soring.
D. Missing the 'that' parallelism is enough to kick this out.
E. Jumping from past tense to the future perfect in a reported speech is abysmal

Be happy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Hi Guys, what if option D also had the that to complete the parallelism?
Which option is better in such a case? B or D?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Notwithstanding the addition of 'that', D will still be incorrect because the sentence doesn't make clear what the analysts expected the profits to do what? If somebody means that analysts expected the profits to decline,' eliding the word 'decline'' is not correct since the word 'decline' is not present in the clause anywhere before.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bombsante wrote:
Hi Guys, what if option D also had the that to complete the parallelism?
Which option is better in such a case? B or D?

Hi Bombsante, In addition to what daagh sir has already mentioned, D also has a huge tense issue that is pretty much a no go.

In this sentence, clearly two things happened in the past:
i) Company's profits declined
ii) Analysts had expected profits to decline much more than they actually did

When there are two events that happened in the past, the event that happened earlier (in this case, expectation of analysts) is expressed as past perfect (had expected). D, on the other hand, erroneously uses simple past (expected).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Past perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
I3igDmsu wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/26/business/company-reports-ibm-soars-as-it-beats-quarterly-expectations.html

I.B.M. said yesterday that its profits declined much less in the second quarter than analysts had expected and that its business would improve in the second half of the year. The combined reports sent I.B.M. shares soaring nearly 13 percent and sparked a rally that lifted the rest of the market.

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 126: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 137
Page: 660

(A) had expected it to and its business will improve - Wrong: 1) Pronoun 2) Parallelism

(B) had expected and that its business would improve - Correct

(C) expected it would and that it will improve its business - Wrong: 1) Pronoun 2) Verb 3) Meaning

(D) expected them to and its business would improve - Wrong: 1) Verb 2) Parallelism

(E) expected and that it will have improved its business - Wrong: 1) Verb 2) Meaning
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
The company announced that its profits declined much less in the secon [#permalink]
A humble request - Please give KUDOS if you like the below explanation. Motivation helps!
Let us first dissect the sentence.
The company announced
SV pair – Company announced.
that its profits declined much less in the second quarter than analysts had expected it to and its business will improve in the second half of the year.

we have a parallel list in this sentence
the company announced that its profits declined….. and its business will improve.
Here its refers to the company.
Expected it to. – Here we have an empty it in the sentence. It is not clear what the it refers to.
Had expected – we are comparing two past actions in this sentence. Earlier action being that the analysts had expected and the later the profits declined.
Here ‘that’ is used to begin a sub ordinate clause.
The sentence must also use would rather than will for the company’s uncertain business improvement
in the future.

If you are still reading this post I humbly request you to please give KUDOS.

This choice is incorrect for the reasons stated above.

This is the correct answer choice.

It would – Here we have an empty it in the sentence. It is not clear what the it refers to. Would is not the correct verb form in this sentence. It will improve its business – there are two its that is trying to refer to the company. Be skeptical of such constructions on the GMAT.

Here the antecedent of the pronoun them is unclear. It appears that them refers to the profits.
Had expected is needed in this sentence to compare two actions in the past.

Announced that it will have improved… is less better than to say its business would improve.
Had expected is needed in this sentence to compare two actions in the past.
Please motivate me and don’t forget to give KUDOS after you have finished reading the post.

The answer is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM

From this prompt, we can infer that the ''announcement'' occurred after the act of ''expectation''. Hence, the past perfect verb tense of the verb ''expect'' must be used.

Since (C), (D), and (E) all use the simple past tense ''expect'' instead of the past perfect tense ''had expected'', we can eliminate (C), (D), and (E).

- besides the fact that this sounds super awkward, the pronoun ''it'' does not have a clear antecedent.

(B) had expected and that its business would improve - has no error. Hence, (B) is the right answer choice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
A. “The company announced THAT its profits declined…had expected it to and (that) its business will improve…”
a. Clause is in past tense. Need conditional tense with past tense. (past + conditional; present + future)
b. “it” is also wrong. What is “it”? analysts expected the profits to decline, not the company. So it should be “them”
c. Also lacks parallelism
B. “The company announced THAT its profits declined…had expected it to and THAT its business would improve…” - parallel
C. Will is wrong. Past + conditional is needed
D. “them” is wrong. Company is singular, so no logical antecedent for “them.” Lacks parallelism.
a. Clearer if use past perfect to show sequence of events
E. Will is wrong. Past + conditional is needed
a. Clearer if use past perfect to show sequence of events
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
The company announced that its profits declined much less in the secon [#permalink]
EducationAisle sir,
Isn't ellipsis in play in option B as well over here? So if that's the case then the same ellipsis is in play in option D, and if we add a "that", then only thing separating option's B and D is the tense?
Where am I going wrong? Please evaluate.

The company announced that it profits declined much less than analysts had expected(them to decline)?

Furthermore,
What is the issue of parallelism in option D. I am not understanding that part.
Is it that " its businesses would improve is structurally parallel to "Analysts expected them to". But logically does not make sense. Hence, for clarity we need a that to repeat before this clause to be parallel to the earlier clause.
Please advise.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts